Battle Rifle

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Xocolatl, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Xebov

A velocity upgrade wouldnt help the gun much. The primary problem for the BR is the dmg. Your bullets can be as fast as they want, if you need 3 headshots or 6 bodyshots to kill someone at range you have a hard time to kill someone. On long ranges its easier to do body shots and at leats for VS a Semi Auto Shotgun with Slugs will outperform the BR as you need only 3 shots, no matter what you hit. The bullets are slower but its alot easier to line up 3 shots against a stationary target and kill it than lining up 3 headshots, and you often get players standing behind cover and coming out for a second.
  2. Markus.D

Agree with you too. I will be same glad to see one of the increased dmg or increased velocity.
    I have more 590 kills with my warden. But at last time it's too hard to make new kills with BR's.
    There are too much overwhelming toys was created at last time.
  3. Ksarrik

Has anyone heard anything about the Grenade Launcher attachment that shows on the Warden (not sure about AMR-66 or Eidolon) in the VR Training area? The attachment shows a graphical change on the Warden when chosen, but I couldn't figure out how to get ammo for it. I also don't see it as an option in the "real" game area or certs.
  4. Xebov

If you look at the players page you can find some attachments listed for different guns that arent available in game, for example a 6x scope for the Thanatos. It may be possible that they considered some attachments during developement but disabled them as they released the guns as they didnt see them fit.
  5. Erendil

I agree. I think they could benefit a bit from a velocity increase but not enough to make them a truly competitive choice for most people compared to LMGs or carbines. I've never had much issue hitting the target. It just takes too many hits to actually get a kill.

I've started using the NyX Scout Rifle a bit when cloaking and I think the damage it does per shot would be perfect for Battle Rifles. BRs and Semi-auto SRs are both really close stat-wise, so much so that IMO they should be combined into one weapon. Personally I think they should bump the BR damage up from 250 to 333 (the semi-auto SRs' current damage value), give BRs to HA, Engie, and Infil, and then scrap the semi-auto SRs altogether since the only real advantage they currently have over BRs is their damage per shot.

The end result would be that all three classes get an improved semi-auto rifle, one that has all the stats of the current Battle Rifles, but with a higher damage per shot.
  6. Xocolatl

Oh my..I finally tried out the Eidolon in VR. It is..horrible. For its rate of fire, the damage is horrible. I wouldn't want the RoF buff, but I would like to see much better damage--a body shot + headshot SHOULD kill. That will make it a viable weapon. As of right now, especially for VS, the shotgun (Phobos or something?) with slug is so much better. It kills faster, and VS doesn't have bullet drop anyway. It also sounds way cooler.

Another thing that would help greatly--make it pin point accuracy when sitting without having to scope up. That will help you go at it at close range as long as you have minimum cover.
    • Up x 1
  7. CraftKing

Headshot damage is okay. I don't want it to be on par with the Infiltrator's semi-auto sniper rifle, which Infiltrator in PS2's current game is design to be the strongest damaging class at medium to long range (of course short range but if used correctly to make it effective) but the most fragile class of all.

Currently, testing Warden at VR, it does kill 3 shots headshots. All headshots, no body shot when tested on how many bullets to kill if all headshots. Saying that, semi-auto sniper rifle is 2 shots headshots kill. Semi auto sniper rifle do 3 shot kill on the body while warden is 5 or more. I might agree to buff the Battle Rifle's body shot damage slightly but not the bullet velocity. Sniper infiltrator would become more ineffective to its designated/intended ranges.

Battle Rifle is an option for a change or to suit one's playstyle using different class beside using Infiltrator and not to replace/remove one class specialty or duplicate another class's specialty with the same 'quality' which are infiltrator's own unique quality/play style/role.
  8. Xocolatl

Agreed--BR should not make engineer replace an Infiltrator. But as of right now, it feels like BR doesn't really have a role. Your shots do not hurt enough for kills, but you can't provide cover fire with it very well. It just needs a proper role, I think.
  9. supahitecjetfyta

try it with the 2x scope, suits it well.
    i only use the 4x for when i need to get rid of a sniper.
    NV+silencer for inside a biolab
  10. Lavalampe

I would give Battle Rifles an Unique Ammo Type: "Penetration Ammo"
    This Ammo ignores Nanoweave and has no other downside for the price of 100 certs.

This would rebalance the scoutrifles.
    But imho the best balance would be of getting rid of nanoweave in this game...
  11. Xocolatl

I was thinking...maybe BRs should get a faction-unique utility attached? They shouldn't outsnipe a sniper, or out carbine a carbine. So they have to find a new niche. Maybe something like:
    1) (VS) Hold to charge for small extra damage, but illuminate target area for 1 or 2 sec
    2) [NC] Concussion shell (extra disorientation from damage, making it better at cover fire)
    3) <TR> Getting show slow the target's movement speed

? Well, I guess a lot of these would be quite useless and add unnecessary server load, but you get the idea, right? Give BRs their own niche instead of making it compete in a field that they clearly have no business competing in.
  12. Sian

BR should have damage like the scout rifle, and at least the option for HV ammo. It's too weak and too slow as it is. It just is not very useful. The shotguns w/slugs are better at range, and the carbines and shotguns are better up close. The long-range accurized vaiant LMGS are better at range AND up close.
  13. Xebov

When it comes to discussion about Infiltrators, dont forget that bolt action snipers have very long range and are meant to kill people on realy long ranges, yet most infiltrators use them on distances far below.

Balancing the BR for Dmg is realy hard. They count as Snipers, but yet Scout Rifles and BR dont do enought dmg to be efficient at long range as you have 4-5 hits at best to down a target. Giving both Scout Rifles and BR a higher Dmg would bring them close to Semi Auto Sniperrifles, wich currently have nearly the Dmg for Bodyshots that Slugs have.
  14. JesNC

IMO the damage per bullet is fine, but BRs could do with a decreased recoil/increased recoil recovery and a faster projectile speed.
  15. Xebov

If you dont want to give a higher dmg the recoil decrease and recoil recovery need to be significant better to give you an advantage over full auto weapons in single shot mode (like AR and Carbines), as these guns currently are more effective, they have lesser recoil that perfectly compensates the need for more bullets, but they have full auto. Semi Auto guns should be in generell better as single fire mode of full auto guns to compensate for the inability to go full auto.

For the dmg i see the problem with Scout Rifles. BR and Scout Rifles are actually exactly the same guns with Scout Rifles having a better Basedmg (yet Scout Rifles have the same problem being useless like BR).

In generell they should fix the forward grip/compensator and maybe thinking about adding an advanced forward grip.
  16. JesNC

200 min damage is plenty at ranges >100m IMO, but they really lack the ability to do follow-up shots due to the high recoil. IMO the "low" close range damage balances the potential long range effectiveness.
  17. Xebov

Sure 200@85m is much dmg, VS only get 167@125m, but Scout Rifles yet get 33% more max and 20% more min dmg. But since Infiltrators now have high close range abilities it should be at least discussed if Scout Rifles and BR should fall into one category and if BR should get Scout Rifles dmg.

For the following shots i completely agree, that was what i meant with the BR vs single shot full auto guns compare.
  18. Rusky

Keep in mind that at 85m all 3 battle rifles do almost the same damage:

https://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#dps/la/1/25008/26008/24008

The VS just get more degradation past that, but you do get the no bullet drop special which help a ton in actually making shots at >85m.

Either way the damage is very bad for a marksman rifle.

Obviously you can't have a no shake, long range rifle do almost the same damage as the shaking bolt actions BUT, I still think this should be in the 3-4 body shot, 2 headshot range not the 6-7 body shot, 3-4 headshot range.
  19. Sian

Considering that any of the shotguns with a 4x scope and slugs can do this handily, while still being beasts at close range, yeah. 20rds and quick reload don't make up for having to hit a target 7 times vs 3-4 -- it's the difference between driving an enemy into cover and killing him outright.