Basilisks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WUNDER8AR, Sep 21, 2014.

1. WUNDER8AR

Anyone else feel that the Basilisk could use some love? I mean even if you wait for the cof to reset, heck even when single fired you can't hit the broad side of a barn with that thing because the base accuracy is so bad. There's no learning curve because the weapon just flat out cannot be controlled properly. As a result the skill cap is super low which makes it just bland and frustrating to use.

I understand that the Basilisk is supposed to be an all purpose weapon which comes at no or very little cost. And admittedly it can be quite devastating in the right situations, especially on Blockade Combat Sundies. But that doesn't justify balancing the weapon in such a terrible way.

Randomness in any shape or form in regards to weapon balancing is a nuiscance that many FPSs like to do these days and it is quite frankly infuriating. There's other, better ways to make sure that a weapon doesn't outperform the others. Ways that don't make you scratch your head pondering about what you possibly could have done wrong.

I have no idea about the exact weapon stats and thus I cannot give detailed suggestions in that regard unfortunately. But I feel that it'd be a more fun to use weapon if it had better base accuracy and a faster cof reset in exchange for say a little bit lower rate of fire maybe? The idea is that it is more of a support weapon so I think that a little bit less DPS would be the right way to go to in order to allow for improved accuracy. In the scheme of things it probably wouldn't change much in terms of lethality of the weapon, provided that we can find the sweet spot where the overall damage output would match the current values, with the difference being that the limitations of the weapon are being shifted from (in)accuracy more towards sheer lack of DPS.

In any case it would be nice to have a performance constant instead of it being that weird and touchy thing that sometimes performs decent and other times makes you want to poke your head against a wall. I would wholeheartedly trade some damage output for that.

Edit: Alternatively we could have actual recoil in exchange for less bullet spread. Much simpler approach and it'd add to the learning curve. It'd probably even allow for further improvements w/o hurting balance.
    • Up x 11
  2. Alarox

I agree. It is not a "jack of all trades" default weapon, it is just inadequate at every role.

-----------------

Anti-Infantry: It has massive CoF which makes it terrible against infantry unless they're right next to you.

Anti-Aircraft: The large CoF and slow velocity make it unreliable against aircraft as you're only connecting a fraction of your shots.

Anti-Armor: It has very low damage output and at range the CoF means you're missing most of your shots.

---------------

On a MBT/Harasser there is no reason to use this weapon. On the Sunderer you might get some use out of it but only because your options are so limited. Choosing it over a specialized weapon gives you far less back than what you sacrifice.

The weapon's skill floor is extremely low and the skill cap is almost at the same level. The CoF increase mechanic on this weapon is a joke. The difference between the minimum and maximum CoF is so insignificant that you're always better of spraying and hoping your shots land.

That's the weapon in a nutshell. You spam at things and hope they hit and are barely effective at anything.

More people have the Auraxium Medal with the Canister than the Basilisk... on all factions and all vehicles combined.
    • Up x 15
  3. SeverTheWicked

Tell that to dual basilisk blockade armour sunderers that regularly turn mbts into scrap metal.
    • Up x 6
  4. Alarox

Bulldogs are far more of a threat than Basilisks.
    • Up x 4
  5. NinjaTurtle

I hate it, whenever I jump in to gun a basilisk I just think I'd rather have have almost anything else over it including genital wort's

^ This

All you lose is the ability to shoot at air but for that they are poor anyway and you may as well equip a feather duster. For AI and AV bulldogs are superior.
  6. WUNDER8AR

Yes they're OK against big targets at closer ranges where the cof doesn't make much of a difference, I basically already gave the Basilisk credit for that in the op. If you read carefully you will see that my suggestions wouldn't make them any more lethal in those kinds of scenarios. All I would like to see is them being a little bit more reliable when it comes to hitting anything other than a point blank MBT/Sundie because it's currently a gamble. Whether you spray or try to control your shots, it doesn't make any difference because the base accuracy and cof is atrocious in any case. You just can't hit anything with these things which quite frustrating to say the least.
  7. CNR4806

Basilisks are fine, if not very effective... on Sunderers, which can have up to two of them firing at the same time.

On everything else they're pretty underwhelming, due to the subpar velocity and horrible CoF giving it a very disappointing effective range, all for a not-exactly-high theoratical DPS (which translates into effective DPS horribly because of the aforementioned flaws).
  8. lothbrook

As a general rule, if you can get 2 of them on a sundy 1 of them sucks. Kobalt might be the only thing that doesn't suck on its own. Which is why you basically only see MBTs with ES weapons or the halberd.
  9. Klypto

Not my MBT.
    • Up x 4
  10. Yeahy

2 basilisks can shred a tank busting lib faster than rangers.
    The damage close up is great but it falls off to almost nothing.
    Reducing cone of fire can't really do much for basilisks.
  11. Atis

Hey, show some understanding, SOE needs to sell more weapon, and good default all-rounder impedes sales.
    • Up x 1
  12. a-koo-chee-moya

Tell that to Shredder, Prowler HEAT, Orion, T1 Cycler, etc.
    • Up x 5
  13. SpruceMoose

killed a vanguard with one on my flash
    only cuz he thought I was a sundy way off in the distance, he kept looking for cover when I was right behind him
    only fond memory I have of that gun
  14. Crayv

What is sad is that it was good for a while but it got nerfed. A lot of people starting certing into the thing because it was slightly less effective at it's roles than the dedicated gun mounts but had a huge amount of versatility.
  15. Atis

Shredder and HEAT were nerfed, Orion and T1 are not accessible for all factions. There are like dozen of guns which people dont replace ASAP and most of them are ES.
  16. Brahma2

They would if they ran it right. Most don't.
  17. a-koo-chee-moya

Not saying that they are/ were OP, just that they are examples of good stock weaponry, even after the nerfs.
  18. Neo3602

IMO the Basilisks could use some love and giving them better starting COF and faster COF reset at the cost of some ROF woudl be fine IMO
  19. Yeahy

Would never buy another LMG if I didn't have to auraxium a few of them.
    If I didn't have station cash to waste, at only BR 50 something, I wouldn't have wasted certs on dalton.
  20. Yeahy

Full TB clip in back+full clip of shredder couldn't even kill your mbt.