Base turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vaphell, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Shadowyc

I think he meant spawn it at that particular location, like swapping out an AI for AA, or AA for AV. Something akin to that. Also, it would be far better to use a Harasser than a tank. :rolleyes:
  2. Vaphell

false dichotomy much?
    There is a significant difference between "3 tanks should win rather easily against a single turret that faces them in the whole ******* base after multiple salvos" and "3 tanks gib it on sight from 200m away, giving the operator no time to exit this coffin in disguise".

Why is it possible to simply drive the sunderer pedal to the metal right through the FoV of an ANTI-VEHICLE turret and park right under its nose so people can start pouring in by the dozen, even before the tanks appear to dismantle the defenses? Isn't that the proof the AV turrets are weaksauce against V? Yes, Blitzkrieg is a valid strategy but come the **** on.

There is a significant lag between the attack and the defending side reacting. Defense is reactive in its very nature. Stationary defense should be potent enough so few dudes that made it in time can at least stall the foreguard of the attacking blob to buy some more time. It doesn't do that, it goes down right off the bat and the initial phase of siege over the perimeter is ended before it even started and now the defenders have to fight an uphill battle inside their own base.
  3. SevenTwo

Generally I find base defence on at least the larger installations could use an overhaul to make the base elements more interconnected.

Maybe if bases had expendable resources attached to them by being lattice connected, these could be used for governing things like access to temporary upgrades for turrets ("levels" applicable by engineers - a bit like the turrets in Team Fortress 2?) or powering a kind of turret shields (toggle shields like the HA or Vanguard?) which would be available as long as a level of resources were left in storage (Ranging from "This is a fully operational battle station!" to "She can't take the strain Captn'!").

The resources would then naturally deplete over time by pulling vehicles, spawning and other "base" operations and recuperate over time by being in lattice connection with the Empire WG. Falling below a certain level would make these upgrades unavailable, making it more of a conscious choice whether to spam tanks or "holding out" for a relief force to arrive from another facility.

That way a "fresh" base with operational turrets would pack more of a punch in the beginning of a battle (provided they are manned) while they at the same time deteriorate naturally over the course of a fight, hopefully making base encounters feel a bit more like a siege.

This would also allow for more infiltrator mechanics/gameplay, making infiltrator support and airdrops more useful/desirable in the early stages of the siege, expanding their role from a slight "nuisance" (turret hackers/wall stalkers/sporadic sniping/generator hacking), to one that is vital for reducing the resources needed for capping large bases quickly.

"Zapping" structures like resource silos would them deplete base resources faster, severely hampering the benefits of base defences, if vital points in the base were left undefended (right now there's pretty much only power gens, cap points and the odd SCU, the latter two mostly only relevant in the later stages of a siege).

Anyway, just thinking out loud here - the current turrets are "ok", but they could be so much more interesting in my opinion, if the changes were relevant to the overall game, rather than just be "buff this" or "nerf that". ;)
  4. NC_agent00kevin

3 tanks by all means should instakill a turret if they coordinate their attack. 1350 resource points combined plus 3-6 guys working in tandem should always kill one lone guy in a free turret. I dont see why you think this shoudnt happen. What kind of overpowered monstrosity of a turret would ever be able to take on 3 tanks at once and win??? 2 Tanks should be able to easily handle one base turret. Anything more would be ludicrous.

If you are seeing a significant lag in defenders arriving at an attack, then defense is an afterthought. Your faction should be planning ahead. When one base is lost, fall back and muster defenses as needed - dont sit in the spawn room waiting for a free kill here and there from behind a shield. This is exactly what I did as a Leader. Occasionally someone would complain 'we cant just abandon the base' or 'we cant just keep falling back' You can fall back and organize a good defense on your own accord, or be forced into a hastily cobbled together defense with enemy tanks already approaching - the choice is yours.

But dont blame well balanced base turrets for your failure.
  5. NC_agent00kevin

Probably, but Ive gone from Leadership/squad play to Lone Wolfing. Ive got a Lightning thats maxed out in certifications for everything I use/need. Which I think is part of the base turret complaint - these guys are lone wolfers who think they should be able to face down a small armor column singlehandedly. Thats not how this game works.
  6. Shadowyc

That still makes it pretty reactive. There aren't that many bases with turrets, and even if you prepare, the phalanx are still going down in the initial battle with a horde of Engineers struggling just to keep one up, let alone two. At which point, MBTs and Harassers are the only viable option for ground defense simply because they can survive a longer period of time. Air is for everything under the sun. Some of us suck at tank driving and flying as well.

Honestly, I hop into AV Turrets when there's a fight going on and said turret's functioning. It's difficult (Well, more like it's easy and difficult at the exact same time), you're a sitting target, and everything can target you with immunity at times. Most things I know I've killed while in an AV Turret? Freakin' infantry. Tanks usually sit behind something and shell the thing into oblivion, or infantry does that. :p
  7. Vaphell

do you have reading comprehension problems? I didn't say that it should win against 3 tanks but that it should be able to tackle them without getting instagibbed. Tanks can take what, 6 hits from the front, if not more? That's a lot of wiggle room to outmicro the turret while picking your nose.
    If the turrets don't stay up longer than 3 seconds they are a waste of polygons and framerate.
    If the turrets are too weak to deter adventurous sunderers from driving in and deploying under their nose, they are a waste of polygons and framerate.

Your faction should be, but it doesn't. Do you think this game is all about organized try-hards and there are no pubbies with serious awareness problems? I don't know what game you are playing but in mine i don't see [orders] every minute, more like 2/day.

thanks to ridiculously small distances between bases defending force suffer a time penalty which is sometimes longer than what it takes a tank to drive that 300m distance.
    You look at the map and see that enemies start to appear at base X. Redeploy (wait 10s) and then you wait another 10 for the spawn point to become accessible. That's 20 s for attackers to do whatever the hell they want. Sunderers already parked all over the place, MBTs on hills are overlooking key spots, ESFs circle like vultures, MAXes + support rushing cap points.
    Sure it would be stupid if you could get anywhere instantly but that doesn't change the basic fact that the defense is inherently reactive. Attackers choose time, direction(s), tactics, army composition.

That's one of the reasons why the blob can push along the lattice rail without losing even a bit of momentum. Most people wait till the end and when they redeploy/respawn to the next base siege is already happening and they have to fight yet another uphill battle from the spawnroom against a ring of tanks and sunderers in 3 different places streaming dudes from 3 different directions. Losing side suffers serious attrition in gear and just can't field enough tough stuff at once to make a dent.

I bet steamrolling is nice and all but tell me why should I bother defending against 10+ prowler strong zerg when there is nothing we can build our defense around and raw manpower is all that counts? I don't feel like feeding certs to the armored master race. I can just cloak, gt-fo from the base, set up a camp and have a shooting gallery for few minutes. That's how much, after almost a year of largely indefensible bases, i care about territory changing hands.