Base turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vaphell, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Czuuk

Like just about everything in PS2, turrets are not designed for solo use. You need engineering support and combined arms to maximize their potential. They're amazingly effective in large sieges. Especially if you can find the choke points and keep raining fire on them.
  2. Vaphell

that is craptastic map design of too many bases crammed in a too small area, not a flaw of turrets.

Just like mobile tanks and aircraft that have the luxury of mobility.

And you get 100xp for the turret kill. I have the same feeling about the aware tanks I shoot using turret or a lockon but i get 0xp for that. They just fall back behind some rock and all I achieved is feeding them xp for repairs. At least air gives a bit of G2A xp.

Too bad there are very few places places where 2 turrets can shoot simultaneously because the bases were specifically designed to prevent that, and most likely you know these dangerous places so it's not like you have to drive there. Also tanks have advantage because they can pick their battles. Pop out with another tank, focus fire for 5 seconds and the turret is down, no questions asked. Once the turret is down, most likely it will stay that way forever. Repairing them for 2 full repair cycles with maxed tool is next to impossible when tanks shell them just in case, in hope a lucky instagib against adventurous engineer happens.
    And by them not wanting decent turrets they now have infinitely campable bases with completely indefensible perimeter, trivial to overrun with 2+ tanks not to mention dozen when the massive zerg rolls through the map. I don't really think it's much of an improvement.
    • Up x 1
  3. redsevenski

I think this is an older bug, but I have no idea what causes it. Normally I find jumping out of the turret and back in is enough to get the zoom function working again.
  4. Vaphell

again, that's BS reasoning and one of main reasons why bases are indefensible. They are supposed to be outer layer of defense but they are down 5 seconds after the first enemy tanks and air show up and right off the bat you skip to the phase 2 of the siege: infantry brawl usually in the immediate surroundings of spawns.
    If you have crapload of people to defend you don't need turrets. Instead of wasting people to keep them alive you get better results pulling mobile tanks, mobile air, mobile MAXes, mobile lockon HAs that can duck behind the cover or engineers to spawn imba AV mana turrets. Base turrets in majority of cases are a net liability for defenders, they render at vehicle ranges, are first things to die and a total ***** to keep alive.
    1/1 ESF or 2/3 harasser is 10x the force multiplier the stationary turrets are and they don't require constant babysitting by 2 other people full time.
    • Up x 1
  5. L1ttlebear

Here is a solution:
    1) buff the snot out of all turrets and give them cert trees with optics and upgrades like vehicles,
    2) make a resource system, whether they share mechanical resources or get there own is irrelivent
    3) make turrets spawnable through terminals like vehicles

This will make turret play fun for those like me who enjoy this form of playstyle while allowing tankers who take the time to take a turret down to feel like they acctually accomplished something.

Making turrets spawnable on terminals makes it so that you can choose where your turret spawns (so you don't have your AA spawned in front of tanks)

Obviously this idea would require significant tuning but I think it would be super fun :)
    • Up x 1
  6. Targanwolf

Defenders should be able to use engineers and their resources to fortify turrets.Turret fortification should be certifiable.
    Unless as it seems now, you want a game for the short attention span player who gets bored with anything that takes over 15 minutes.
  7. NC_agent00kevin

No, its not a problem at all. In fact, turrets vs tanks are one of the best balanced aspects of this game. If I get the fist shot with the turret, the tank is going down before I do. Basically, it comes down to who gets the first shot and/or doesnt miss.

A lone turret should not be able to face down a squad of tanks alone, nor half a squad, nor 3 or 4 a once. As I said, mounting a real defense doesnt just mean manning the turrets.

What kind of balance would it be if the turrets could destroy armor columns alone? They cost no resources, can always be repaired, and have infinite ammo. Their downside is that they cannot move.

Tanks cost resources, have limited ammo and can be completely destroyed and removed from the battle.

Right now AV turrets are just fine; and I like to man them. Anything outside of fixing visibility issues would just be too much .
    • Up x 1
  8. Targanwolf

Tank vs turret.THE TANK wins. The tank can move to cover repair if needed and pop out then go to cover.Turret is fixed you get out at risk of death.Smart tankers know you can only point the turret gun down so far then you are defenseless.Tankers go to that spot and execute you if you if don't get out.When they see signs of repair they shell it till you stop risking death from a near blast..
    • Up x 1
  9. Darkwulf

Agreed, the turrets suck hardcore. They need some loving.
  10. Vaphell

How do you mount a defense when the 3-4 tanks steamrolled through the poor excuse of a defense without as much as slowing down and now are free to shell most if not all all the spawn exits?

And that's a huge downside. Armored 'column' as big as 3 tanks can coordinate to pretty much instagib the turret with 0 risk for themselves.

And that's different from a MAX sniped with a turret how?

I like to man them against infantry because it's 10x easier than bolt action sniping. Only an idiot tankista with a very bad aim commits to a fight against turret head on to die. You exploit all kinds of ****, driving back and forth for repairs or huge deadzones of the turret (they are what, 45deg down and 90deg to the sides?)
  11. Utrooperx

Agreed...as far as a "defense turret" goes, they are mighty "indefensible"...AA turrets that die within seconds of daring to fire upon the Enemy Lib/ESF farming the Spawn Room...my "OP" Stryker that loses lock/refuses to lock while every sniper for miles paints a bullseye on my head...the burster MAX that dies before I get off 5 rounds...the unkillable maniac Harasser (with the Engineer in the back) zooming around that still manages to put every 85mm rocket dead on target...the mysterious insta-deaths through Spawn Room shields while desperately trying to run off the "farm machine" right outside...

When are we ever going to get a viable defense? IMO, the Spawn Rooms should have the strongest defenses capable of clearing the immediate area so the defenders can "push out"...they should have AA/AV turrets capable of defeating the current endless spawn camping zerg effect that we have now so defenders can fight a mobile battle of maneuver for a base...instead of being trapped/forced to re-deploy by a farming Lib with a Dalton and his tank buddies 200 meters away blasting through non-rendering shields.

Seriously, wouldn't that be more fun then the current circling of the Spawn Room and spamming it with HE for however long it takes to cap the base?
  12. patricio_z

Just TIE them with the ARMOR SHIELDS, and make them 10 times stronger, that way, turrets will remain part of the defense until the wall is firmly in the attackers hands.

Most fortified fixed artillery positions IRL (particularly in WW2) where allmost invincible attacked head on, the had to be flanked and attacked from the sides/back, it would be nice see this tactic happening in PS2.

In their current form they are just XP piñatas for engies (both sides)
  13. Amouris

It's a known bug. To fix, get out and switch weapons, then ads for a second. Sometimes only doing one is enough, not sure if this is an actual fix or if it's an issue of being out of the turret for X time, correlation not causation.
  14. Czuuk

I think you're making some bad assumptions. The game is designed around large epic battles. If they're down in 5 seconds it's because there are not enough people on defense.
    • Up x 1
  15. Zotamedu

A single AV mana turret can take out a turret with a pocket engineer and they can easily be placed at locations that are impossible to hit. Base turrets are free XP. I love to take them on 1 v 1 as a heavy because most of the time, I win. Just duck in and out of cover and four decimators later, I get 100 XP.

So it takes teamwork to use the turrets? Well you need two or more engineers to keep a turret up against more than one MBT that is aiming for you. In larger fights, they are death traps when the enemies chose to clear them out.

The AA turrets are in a pretty decent spot except the tank buster does way too much damage to them. I once tried to take on a liberator 1 v 1. It took out two AA turrets because I managed to escape just before the first one blew up and he still lived to fly away, leaving me dead in a smouldering steel coffin.
  16. Czuuk

This topic is not about engi turrets. It's about the turrets in bases.
  17. wolfva

Errr, Czuuk? His post WAS about base turrets.

Turrets SHOULD pack a much harder punch, and have better armor, then tanks. Tanks have mobility; turrets need that advantage. However, we should stop with the 1v1 comparisons. As someone else mentioned, this is a game revolving around massive battles. Not duels.

As I said earlier, turrets work best with support. When you have armor and planes to keep the enemy vehicles at bay those turrets become a force multiplier. This is especially true when you're outnumbered. In situations where your armor or planes would be overwhelmed, those turrets may well save the day. I've seen it happen time and again at a variety of bases and towers, and even a few times at enemy bases where lucky Infilitrators got in and hacked the turrets before the trigger happy tankers rolled up and destroyed every unmanned turret in sight. Ever be attacking an amp base, the fight's going well, when suddenly a few enemy planes swoop in and destroy your sundy and armor? You then get pushed back. I've been in fights where I hacked and hopped into an enemy AA turret and chased those planes away before they could do to much damage. Tanks and sundy saved, plants were captured. This morning I hacked an AV turret and took out an HA just as he was aiming a rocket at our sundy. Good times.

Like anything else in the game, when properly utilized they can be a fun, and effective, tool. The problem, though, is it's rare for the enemy to come enmasse to a fresh base with defenders. Instead, you have a few loners drift in to an empty base, blow the turrets, hit a cap point. Then the defenders start drfting in and now they have to repair those turrets AND take back the points before the base flips. More enemy are converging on the base, lured by the signs of a fight. It's down hill for the turrets from that point on...and considering we started with them all ready being destroyed...well, you can see down hill really sucks.
  18. Bulltahr

I use turrets a lot, on towers the AA ones can make most ESF scurry away, especially if both are manned. Once the base is camped tho, it's all over, but until then, you can use AV turrets for some protection and harvest foolish Inf, of which there appears to still be plenty willing to put themselves in front of active turrets. (At least on Briggs anyway).
    And hacking an AA turret and wiping out fresh spawned ESFs is hard to beat................
    But yeah, some of the turret placement leaves a lot to be desired (the tower one at Snake ravine for example).
  19. NC_agent00kevin

You cant buff something to the point of it being able to handle an attack all by itself...thats the definition of overpowered. I mean, how powerful do you really think a turret should be? 3 tanks could kill it easily firing in concert. What do you want from turrets, full auto 600 rpm AP shells???
  20. NC_agent00kevin

What would you have fix this 'problem'?

Turrets that you can fly around, or turrets thatyou can drive around?

Those are called 'aircraft' and tanks'.

Turrets you can spawn anywhere?

Engie has those.

Unless you desire base turrets with 10,000 hp that can fire 600rpm full auto AP shells.

I like to man turrets, a lot. I think people clamoring for turret buffs are out of their minds. Just get in a tank.