Base Building: Tips, Ideas, Suggestions etc

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Apr 29, 2016.

1. HadesR

Please feel free to post your own designs , ideas, tips, suggestions to help both new and old players alike ..

TIP:

First off a Major tip for those that didn't know ...

Build a Sundy Garage and then Place a Hive inside .. It's is also possible to place a Repair module inside with it, and then use a Shield module ..

[IMG]

Stop's those pesky players dropping C4 through the skyshield directly onto the Core :p , Also prevents missiles such as Nix's ( https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...-base-behind-enemy-lines.240227/#post-3389712 )

Ideas / Suggestions:

Following on from the above I decided to try and come up with an idea for a " Central Base Core " built around and to protect the HIVE garage ..

Note : This is solo built so resources are limited But it's only intended to show an " Inner " base area not the whole base itself ..

Next up I decided to build walls on the 3 most vulnerable sides and leaving one side open for now to allow friendly vehicle placement* ( see below ).

Added a Sky Shield + turrets : For this inner Area I would have placed 4 Anti infantry turrets + an AI mod ( But worked with what I could ) [IMG]
    * Vehicle placement : Left one side open to allow for the placement of Repair Sundy's to further block off access to the HIVE and to add extra auto repair .. ( How ever many Sundy's you place is all down the players )
    [IMG]
    Once placed the open side can be walled off if needed and then any small infantry gaps filled with mines / spitfires etc ..

Please post your own, it will be interesting to see what others are doing ..
    • Up x 2
  2. Chubby Monkey

The suits should cut you a bonus check! Positive post with great ideas. As a bonus, from a fellow player on Connery. While I do not have any pictures, yesterday I found a very nice feature to help defend a base for lone wolves. I built "FOB Spandex" right up against the out of bounds area. This made strafing by aircraft nearly impossible. Vehicles couldn't circle and attack from any direction. Infantry had to cross a huge open area to even get close. With the ocean at my back so to speak, I was able to hold off a half dozen TR with only Engineer deployables, my Sunderer and the default construction deployables. Another VS trooper had placed an additional tower and a couple walls but other than that it was a solo defense.

After my HIVE went online is when things became interesting. It took them nearly a half hour to take the base. In the end, they got me. But not before I claimed eleven TR notches on my ledger. Was a great fight! As with any deployables... Location, location, location. As I have mentioned in other threads, "If you can't pick your fights. Pick the ground you fight on."
    • Up x 1
  3. HadesR

Yeah we had one on Esamir yesterday ... Helped a great deal .. Out of bounds to one side , ( Our Base ) Mani tower to our back, all we had to be worried about was the TR coming from the Haven outpost direction.
  4. DeadAlive99

Here's my tips:

The current deployment system is not only buggy, but extremely finicky, to the point of yanking your hair out.

When trying to place an object, you can face one general direction, move your object up and down, rotate, trying everything and it will stay red, even when it's flat, wide open terrain. It's very frustrating, but here are some things that cause this:

1) First, turn your character around 360 degrees, medium speed, while moving your object up and down. You do not need to rotate the object for this test. You will find that it will turn green facing a different general direction.

Once you know the direction your character needs to face, then you can back up, or move forward until the object is in the location you actually want it.

Bottom line is, placement is not just about the right spot. It's about what direction your character is facing. It shouldn't be this way, but it is!

2) Flora collision. I have discovered, multiple times now, that if there is a single plant where I want my object, it will not deploy. If your object won't turn green to deploy, check to see if there are any plants in the way, and then spawn a Nanite Systems Lawnmower ( j/k ).

I would like to know if anyone else has been able to deploy objects on top of plants, and I'm talking about pass-thru plants that are visual only.

3) Getting the red 'can't deploy' message even when you get the green and purple deploy colors. This is another nuisance. When it shows purple, that's supposed to mean that it will deploy, but if you get the red reject message anyway, I have found that you just need to make some minor position adjustments, such as adjusting the height, or sometimes making sure it's not sticking too far out of a cliff or something.

4) Don't forget, the last hotfix increased the minimum gap between active Hives to 500m. That's a long ways! So if your Hive won't deploy, check the map and make sure you're far enough away from other active Hives.
  5. HadesR

If you hold both mouse buttons then move it backwards or forwards it brings the item closer or further from you .
    • Up x 1
  6. Moridin6

have you seen the "cheese" thread on redit(gag)?

wonder if this tactic, which is a Great idea, is going to get blackballed . .

sundy garage over the HIVE is great.

most people dont even know repair sundys help. i wonder if ammo sundys do anything, perhaps speed up turret cooldown? ive noticed the cooldown be different perhaps was the cont lock bonus?

shield sundys blocking repair sundys blocking repair moduals lol

engis put your Lil auto Ts down, and dont ignore that beep.
  7. DeadAlive99

Thanks!
  8. WTSherman

I don't think ammo sundies do anything for the base directly. However, if you have ammo and repair sundies, the base does suddenly become a very nice rally point for friendly vehicles (especially if it happens to be closer than the nearest ammo tower). I'm pretty sure the walls are also thin enough that you can repair/resupply friendly vehicles from safely behind the wall.
    • Up x 1
  9. DeadAlive99

I'm retracting #2 on my list above, the flora collision bit. I was able to plant some objects on top of them just now, so I don't know what is causing that particular problem.
  10. HadesR

Since you can only deploy one at a time in such close proximity, in the example base above I'd deploy a deploy shield sundy againt the most enemy facing garage side, then a repair sundy on each of the 3 remaining sides :p
  11. Moridin6

dont need to deploy the repair sundys
  12. HadesR

I know, but can only deploy one Sundy so best if its maybe a Deploy shield one and the other's being left as repair.
  13. ArcKnight

do repair sundy's affect walls and turrets ?
  14. HadesR

Yes
  15. ArcKnight

is there a cap on repair xp where I have to get a kill or assist xp to reset it ?
  16. HadesR

I have no clue sorry.
  17. Cyropaedia

Since they are buffing HIVE, Hades' set up would make it impregnable without having to put Skywall to seal a canyon.
  18. Haquim

Imo, the setup just moves the weakpoint of the base.

Instead of the relatively vulnerable HIVE generator, which can be easily destroyed in a commando operation...
    You now have to destroy the sturdy, but also very big silo.
    No cortium -> no shields -> vulnerable HIVE.
    Instead of half a squad with wraith flashes or so, you now need a coordinated assault on the silo (since it is sturdy enough to survive a commando operation)
    At least I have not yet seen a base that managed to place the silo in a way that made it hard to hit.
  19. WTSherman

There is a cap on repair XP unless they removed it while I wasn't looking. However, it's REALLY high and so it's pretty hard to hit that cap. I've only hit it twice since the game launched.