Balancing of Esamir

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Frozn, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Frozn

So this picture is from the beta phase of planetside 2

[IMG]
    As you can see it has the Vanu on the top right NC on the bottom and TR on the top left. Now this was changed, because there was if i recall corretly "balance" issues with the continent.

[IMG]
    This is Esamir as we all know it. If you look closely the only thing changed about the continent is the warpgates. There is no change on geometry, bases etc at all as far as i can tell. Now can someone explain to me how on earth is simply switching another faction to the **** position instead of vanu, fixing the problem?
    Just look at the tech plant in the middle, Both Vanu and NC have a direct road coming to the tech plant, but where is the big *** road for TR? I dont see one. I would very much like an explanation on why a simple switch of the warpgates would balance the issue out. geometry on Indar is also ****, but this is just boggling my mind
  2. HerpTheDerp

Because if VS are getting the short end of the stick, it's a balance issue
    When other factions get the short end of the stick, l2p

DUH
    • Up x 1
  3. Xiphos

There is no stopping the zerg on Esamir due to absence of chokepoints and wide open terrain and the single tech plant.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sebyos

This is stupid Esamir is fine and your evidence are worthless. Every faction easily caps Esamir. The only thing your evidence prove is that 3 continents is a big *** failure since it mostly leads to 1 faction zerging one continent each.

For me the balance problem is Amerish where VS has to go miles away and take 1000 detours to get to their undefendable tech plant while TR, on every single ******* map, has a straight way to their tech plant.
  5. Kite Carling

A TR whine about warpgate placement? Unbelieveable.

Esamir can be overrun by any faction. Just get population dominance and roll out.

Indar, on the other hand, is basically owned by the TR. NC and VS just lease the southern part for occasional kick-abouts. Have you *ever* seen the TR lose the Mao techplant? No. No, you haven't.

Amerish? Well this is just owned by whoever can get half a dozen pilots together.
  6. Akrasjel

Haters gona hate :eek:
  7. Ganelon

Esamir is too flat, great for tanks.

Guess who has the best tank?
  8. Morpholine

The clue to the majority coloring of each map is in the bar graph on the top-right of each picture, and not in warpgate placement.
  9. Vortok

A better Skyguard will help Esamir actually be a ground vehicle/tank continent instead of just another massive air zerg continent.

TR has a road into the NE of the Tech Plant next to all the outposts, so they have an easier time establishing a foothold there. Road looks pretty obvious to me on the map, I dunno.

Seems they've changed what bases are connected to which hexes since beta. The elbow shaped one directly north of Elli Amp station (since we're talking about the SW warpgate) seems to favor the other factions, as it gives massive influence to the areas closer to the warpgate, thus you take them with a smaller amount of influence when another faction has pushed down that far. Least it feels that way.

Even with hex shape differences, the same warp gate location having favorable results more often is significant. If there was a way for warpgates to change who owns them (would prefer something a bit deeper and more elegant than just rotating randomly/on a schedule - if warpgate ownership could vary from server to server that'd be pretty sweet), it wouldn't matter as much and instead owning that warpgate would be one of the goals of Esamir instead of just an (apparent) advantage for whoever has it - aka, the Vanu currently.

Hmm, maybe if you warpgate someone (probably need to conquer the continent fully, tbh), perhaps a way to claim a warpgate and force a swap of positions with another faction. Main problem is randoms screwing up what the tactical decision is, but that's partly on the playerbase/outfits to solve. If you have a few outfits that agree and their members to "vote" however it would be handled, would be pretty hard for randoms to argue - which could also be an issue, but whatever.

The faction that pays the least attention to a continent will generally end up with the worst spot, but that's the penalty of not caring about the continent and also motivation to fight your way out and get a better warpgate. World pop imbalance can throw a wrench in it, but that's really a different matter entirely.
  10. Morpholine

They could always re-instate the flight-crippling fog.
    • Up x 2
  11. TheBloodEagle

VS always hold Esamir, especially because their air is king on there (at least on Jaeger). We and NC manage to take it from time-to-time but VS always take it back. At this point, I feel like its more about pride, so they try harder to hold it. When Indar is almost taken over, a lot of us TR drop what we are doing and head back to fight for it again. TR = Indar, VS = Esamir, NC = Amerish

This will of course change when metagame and continent lock is introduced.
  12. Dubious

The big failure lays in the fact that they are making all conts square..

NONE of the PS1 conts are square and they are quite huge too, I would say bigger than PS2 maps
    But then again, PS1 has a SANCTUARY and warpgates are just that, WARPGATES, there is no buildings in them and they are "all" neautral
  13. Flying Mug

What's sad about Esamir on Jaeger is how we ignore it's stalwart defenders getting Liberatored. I know, I've been one. Now I usually just stay on Indar.

Really what we need to do if we want to hold the continent is camp one Biolab until we have some semblance of numerical/air parity. Not that I don't love driving my tank around Esamir but you can't do a lot against an air force in one. The outposts are death traps and Eisa is like the gold standard for indefensible tech plants.
  14. Frozn

My question was how did switching the warpgates fix the problem with balance, now can you explain to me how did your reply answer that question in any shape or form? It did not, and btw my "proof" was not about the continent locks, it just so happens that people tend to take images and upload them when they capped a continent. The point of the images is to show that there was no geometrical changes(not that they said there would be).

Again, the images which i admit tend to be misleading from the actual questions were not the point. Point was to ask if anyone knew how the devs saw this as a balance.
  15. Frozn

[IMG]1.Camp connery is very difficult to defend from the ground because we have to go around that huge thing right there. And when the Vanu have it we basically have to take it back before we can get any sort of air on that side of the map.
    2.Valley of death. There is no way in a million years a single prowler will get through that valley, when theres a **** ton of magriders camping it on the edges accompanied by heavy assaults. Even if we get libs above the place, the amount of scythes coming from the tech plant is insane + the AA on the higher ground can render any of our aircrafts from a mile away.
    3.The ground on the vanu territory is very much flat which gives the magriders a humongous advantage on ground over prowlers&vanguards, that though is pretty much for the whole continent, and for the same reason the VS hate amerish.
    4.As said before we are always moving up to higher ground from the middle, so it is very much easier for the AA to spot us and obliterate us.

Now i don't know about the server you play on but on Miller yesterday was the first time in ages that TR was able to hold Indar.
    I am aware that there are disadvantages for the other factions aswell, but this is just to show that TR is NOT in any sort of great position on indar.