Balance Pass Post 2: Nanoweave and Related Features

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Nitrobudyn

The battle takes place everywhere. Light assaults like to come near my sniping position, so i have to face them with a pistol - OMG nurf, because it's so unfair (for them).
    • Up x 1
  2. Lewk

The limit on OHK with BASR is just silly.
    • Up x 4
  3. Tenebrae Aeterna

I'll reiterate since you appear to be illiterate.

The following thread HERE has the answers you seek, which have been expressed throughout this thread. Don't tell us that long ranged sniping has no role, and don't tell us it's not challenging either. All arguments have been dismantled, and this cap isn't anything other than a product of pure frustration...nothing more, nothing less. There isn't a single balance oriented reason behind it, just a lot of frustration from run and gun players combined with a run and gun oriented development team who doesn't have a sniper amongst the crew. That's not necessarily their fault, but it's pretty obvious that they grew up with new gen gaming that focuses around tiny maps and lacks a long ranged sniper system.

They used these games to try and explain their position behind the range cap, games that are nothing like Planetside 2 BECAUSE of the very reasons long ranged sniping can't be implemented. Instead of looking to games much more akin to Planetside 2, which have long ranged sniping, they're trying to use games NOT like theirs to justify the reasoning behind their decision.

This is silly and we all know it. There are games of old and even new that have long ranged sniping...games with huge maps just like Planetside 2. The small maps and tiny lanes of killing aren't what balanced out bolt action rifles, these games couldn't implement long ranged sniping because they are too small...so they didn't even try. That's a lot different than a balance oriented reason, that's a limitation of new gen games that took on the Counterstrike concept.
    • Up x 4
  4. riker

Hey SOE can we get rid of the term nano weave and just call it what it is KINETIC ARMOR. i mean you already have it for max units why not just make it the same so there is less confusion
    • Up x 2
  5. Catch23

TL;DR I'm illiterate. remember?
  6. Tenebrae Aeterna

Obviously. The reiteration was a way of ensuring that no one else actually took you seriously, rather than any attempt to educate a troll. Can't have idiocy spread, we already have enough of that.
    • Up x 1
  7. Catch23

dude,

you don't know much about game mechanics, you're the one who is "frustrated" and can't do what all others classes do when they get adjusted - adept.
    did you see me whining about the boom-sound they put on LAs a few months ago? no

now don't be afraid to come a little bit closer. you can see us from 150m.
    ok, we might even chase you. right now we dont really because we don't have to time to run 300m for someone who doesn't make a difference anyway unless we are bored.

P.S.: don't you have to be school?
    • Up x 1
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

Your "arguments" have all been addressed within the link provided, and dismantled. Bring something new that I haven't already dismantled and I might take you seriously.

As for school, I'm unfortunately likely to be far older than yourself.
  9. MarvinGardens

Well, I read the latest changes for the sniper rifles on the test server and like where they are going with it. How far is max render range though? 300m or farther than that? It's fine for the semi-auto's and lower tier bolt actions, but the highest tier of sniper rifles(NC EM4 Longshot, TR RAMS .50M, VS Parallax) should still be able to kill at render range. Unless they are making a new tier of sniper rifles that will kill with a head shot at max render range(no range cap). Perhaps a bolt action with only a single bullet in the clip that has to reload(not just re-chamber) after every shot? Hell, it could also have a more noticeable bullet tracer so that you can trace it back to the sniper easier than all of the other sniper rifles. Maybe the red line that lingered in the air like in Planetside 1? This way the sniper could maintain his long range sniping, but with increased visibility and slower SPM. I think this would be a decent compromise instead of taking out long range sniping entirely(unless 300m IS max render range. I have no idea if it is or not...)

Other than that I do like the varied range effectiveness of the different sniper rifles. Having different optimal ranges for the different sniper rifles sound interesting. Only down side is that newbies and free to play players will need to make do with the default sniper rifle for all ranges unless they want to shell out some cash(or certs) for the other sniper rifles. On the other hand, this would also be an up side for Sony if they cave in and buy all the sniper rifles so they can take advantage of the optimal sniping ranges for the different sniper rifles.
  10. variablez

could you make the short range scopes usable on the shoot range sniper rifles.
    At the moment the red dot is cloaked, unlike the 6x and above.
    • Up x 1
  11. Xidaraf

In my opinion I believe that limiting the range of OHK in sniper rifles is taking away a playing style.
    • Up x 2
  12. MykeMichail

Really don't like the 150 m range limitation for headshots, regardless of rifles.

I think a better solution would be to reduce the headshot multiplier for BASR's slightly so it reduceds the OHK range slightly. Higher damage rifles should ALWAYS kill in one hit at longer ranges than lower damage ones.

150 m really isn't that far in this game - short enough that a guy with a 3.4x scope and an NC6 can mow you down in the time it takes to rechamber.
    • Up x 1
  13. Nintyuk

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/infantry-weapon-changes-12-12-2013.162070/
    That thread, read it.
    • Up x 2
  14. vimorain1

disclaim:this vid is not mine,but I fully agree with everything guy says

• Up x 4
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

Good chuckle out of that video, thanks.
  16. Eskim0

I totally agree with the comments above. 150m is too short for a bolt action rifle. That is the domain of the semi auto versions. I have also done the 600m AV turret headshots and it is absolutely vital that snipers be able to remove those threats. There are no other counters to the AV turrets at that range save for more AV turrets.
    • Up x 2
  17. BaronBobBlitzkrieg

I have to agree with this, if only because my Longshot is my favorite weapon. That said..
    As it stands; SOE will likely try it, be overwhelmed with complaints, then forced to either extend the
    cap or pull it entirely. I won't throw stats at you, but a bolt action rifle at 150 meters? If you shoot
    something at that range, silenced or not, you are a dead man walking. First off you have a 2 second downtime
    for the bolt reload. Next you fire a tracer round: Anyone who sees that tracer round will be able to pinpoint you; if anyone
    sees you at 150 meters with anything other than an SMG/Shotgun, they can do a hell of a lot more than startle you with
    bulletspray. Most LMG's can still kill accurately beyond the 100m range and there are assault rifles that operate at a similar fashion.

Then there's vehicles: If you fire unsilenced, you can have a harasser, lightning or tank shelling your position before you even have a chance to run.
    • Up x 1
  18. MarvinGardens

Reposting here because I am kinda curious.

About the ~300m render range. Are we talking 2 dimensional range or do they also factor height differences when they calculate render range? And if so, does the sniper rifle range calculate said height differences as well? Like say, if a sniper was on top of a 216m high tower and his target was 288m away from the base of the tower. The two dimensional range would be 288m, but the hypotenuse would be 360m(straight line from the sniper to the target, thank you high school geometry). Would the target render because the 2-dimensional displacement is only 288m? Or would they not render because the render range is based on the hypotenuse instead, which is 360m? And if the target does render, which range does the sniper rifle use? 288m or 360m?

What I mean to say is if they planned the highest level sniper rifles to be able to OHK any infantry target that renders for them, why even set the range at 300m? Why not just give it unlimited range? The fact that they even set a hard limit on the range implies that there are targets that render outside of that range that they can't OHK. Only engineers on turrets? Seems to be an odd exception to the hard limit. Unless, as the video guy says, all the developers are engineers who love AV Mana turrets(because AV mana turrets are awesome. Don't nerf their range Devs! ). I don't believe that though.
    • Up x 4
  19. vimorain1

render range ,as far as I know - you can test that even in VR - starts from you and is like bubble.so straight line from you to target.
    that is why bolt action sniper rifles would be nerfed to ground by this.
  20. MykeMichail

• Up x 1