Balance Pass Post 1: Vehicle Weapons and the Harasser

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Oct 30, 2013.

1. wolfva

!Si! Mi gusta tambien! Un cambio MUY bueno! Pero...porque estamos en espanol? Yo no hablo espanol! Yo hablo ingles! Aye mierda!

Wonder if they're going to take out the 3rd seat repair as well...hope so.
  2. Wayfar

"player feedback" from where?
    • Up x 1
  3. Van Dax

...here?
    • Up x 2
  4. Phyr

Just because it's getting a change doesn't mean it's the right change or that we have to agree with how they do it.
  5. Spartan 117

Not to sound ungrateful, but this is the first thing we have heard from SOE regarding weapon balance in months. Most of which doesn't address the main issues the community has been upset about I.E. (The weapon platforms that have half caused 30-40% of the games population to migrate to 1 faction). Has SOE even looked at the data provided by the oracle of death? The Oforums? Reddit? Your internal data?
    • Up x 1
  6. AnnPerkins

great, magriders with prox radar AND magburner. That'll be balanced :rolleyes:
  7. DeadliestMoon

They'd have to give up Top Armor, front armor, mine guard, etc. I think it'll be balanced. But we'll have to wait and see when these changes hit the PTS.
    • Up x 2
  8. Xasapis

What faction would that be? NC? They are back on top as most popular empire (only the past few days, but the downwards trend seemed to have halted and reversed).

Are you having issues with the weakest tank in the game as a tank driver or something else?
    • Up x 1
  9. AnnPerkins

trying to hunt them as heavies is already tough enough. The projectile velocity on rockets is just so hilariously slow that you absolutely need to be close to them or they will just dodge without even trying by spamming ADADAD. Giving them magburn on top of that is just going to be stupid.
  10. DeadliestMoon

Lock ons, AV mana turret, or an MBT. Take your pick.
    • Up x 2
  11. AnnPerkins

magburn, magburn and oh magburn
  12. Xasapis

You overplay that 1 second boost every 20 seconds (top tier).
    • Up x 2
  13. AnnPerkins

it's a get out of death free card you can play every 20 seconds. It's balanced by the fact that infantry can sneak up on you and c4 you or get a good shot on your rear armor. Or was.
  14. Xasapis

It doesn't hold a candle to the NC Vanguard shield.

The thing is, proximity radar will create issues for all infantry trying to sneak on enemy armor. I just don't see how it will be any worse for magriders.
    • Up x 2
  15. Mastachief

As a vehicle with the cost and manpower requirement of a harasser the vehicle is already on the weak side. It is their weapons that are too powerful. Now you are about to make them worth less than paper armour. With these changes why pull a harasser when you can pull a tank lightning/mbt.

More catering to the whining clueless solo kiddies.

Also addressing vehicles before the
    ZOE / Fracture / Striker

FACEPALM
  16. AnnPerkins

Well, the issue is that magriders are effectively immune from dumbfire rockets until you get close to them. Other tanks you can lead because you know which direction they are moving. Spam ADADAD and don't let any red dots get within 50m and you are effectively invincible unless a group of people work together to do enough damage at the same time that you can't just magburn away and heal to full.
  17. Vandali

I'm curious about how C4 is suppose to be the infantries counter to harasser. Surely they aren't basing their data on how much c4 kills mbt and sundies?

A better suggestion imo would be the more damage the harasser takes, the slower it becomes, thus increasing its vulnerability to sustained small arms fire, i'd also do the same with the ZOE.
    • Up x 3
  18. Snowfake

Everything else is fine and way over due. but having prox radar is MORE than enough for a tank driver to fend off C4 attacks.
    Prox radar combined with an even more powerful AI top gun is going to make an extremely effect vehicle. In fact you will see more tanks driving around without top gunners because the extra set of eyes that were used to protect your blind spots will not be needed any more. If you see a threat coming just jump into your top seat, wasted them and then proceed about your business. Which is an ability that should have been removed from the game a long time ago, as well as instant bailing and start up.
    • Up x 1
  19. Mrasap

Thank you for the update. It seems SOE is investing in their developer-consumer relation on the official boards, I love it!
  20. Xasapis

This past month I've switched the chassis I've been using for a good 10 months (rival), which was improving my strafing speed to racer. The reasoning is simple, you can't avoid getting hit by enemy armor, you move too slow regardless. There are tons of lock on or guided weapons, so again strafing speed is mute. And in any case, the strafing speed is a bit faster than normal infantry (infantry runs at 18, racer and default chassis is 20, rival is 25), only you are a huge target (biggest tank of the three).

You do take for granted that the Magrider will need to full expose itself to attack something, a problem that is not shared by the other armor due to the characteristics of their weapons.

You also seem to downplay or ignore the fact that the Magrider driver is basically blind to all direction but one, front. Third person doesn't work for the Magrider the way it works for any other armor and awareness, while keeping the front pointing towards a specific direction, is small. You basically rely to your co-pilot for self protection, because you can't see around you.

On a final note, ADAD does no work with the Magrider. The momentum you have is huge and you'll be a sitting duck when you change directions. It makes more sense to do circling motions, which again means that at the apex you'll be at a predictable spot, just not as long as you'd be if you were ADADing exclusively. The problem with the circling motion is that you need much larger space than any other tank would need.

Magriders will still drive 2/2 regardless, due to the way the tank is built. Overall I think it's a better solution than to nerf the C4 so as not to be able to kill armor with two.