Balance Pass Post 1: Vehicle Weapons and the Harasser

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by joshua, Oct 30, 2013.

1. teks

This hints at the problem that tanks will not take the other upgrades over their empire-specific ability, however, yes prox is inferior to the other choices here as well
    • Up x 4
  2. AnuErebus

One of the things concerning tank mines and harassers. Are tank mines actually going to be able to explode quick enough to damage harassers? It's kind of silly to see a harasser speed gloriously across a field of mines and for them to all blow up after it's already outside the damage range.

Looking forward to all of these.

Nanoweave: I hope you don't go overboard with nanoweave versus snipers. While I do think the range should be increased I don't want to see snipers able to one shot people at 200m.

Explosive Things: Underbarrel Grenades, why bother with shotgun when you can insta-gib everyone with the underbarrel launcher? Be nice to see that toned down a bit, as fun as it is to sit at the top of the stairs racking in kills.

MAX: ZOE speed, oh god, please remove that speed. If you're going to make a heavy infantry unit make sure I at least have a chance to run the **** away if I don't want to fight it.
    • Up x 3
  3. RoyAwesome

What!?

How do you C4 a Harasser going a majillion miles per hour? What Harasser driver is going to drive over the death star sized tank mines?

More vulnerable to the literally WORST weapons against a fast moving quick accelerating vehicle is an awful idea.

Plus, with the AI ES secondaries getting better at close range.... How the **** do you expect someone to run up to a harasser and C4 it? They'll drive away and shoot you in the face.

You've analyze the problem so well, but Tank mines and C4 are NOT the solution here. The obvious option is the nerf it's speed and accelleration, and it blows my mind that this isn't the route that is being taken.

IMO: Either get rid of the speed tank or get rid of the HP/Resist tank across the board... NOT just for 'static defenses'

Also, Considering C4 or Tank mines a static defense is a serious misunderstanding of the roles of those weapons. They are very active point attack weapons useful for taking out slow or not moving targets. They are not for fast things.
    • Up x 7
  4. Hoki

Is this just for the sunderer or for all vehicles?

Its a buff for sunderers, but a nerf for my tanks. :<

I much prefer prox radar to fire suppression or smokescreen.

Or hows about making prox radar available to both defense OR utility?
    • Up x 8
  5. Pikachu

While making the demonic laugh.
    • Up x 2
  6. Pikachu

Me too. I use proxy radar to be aware of any C4 carrying infantry when I'm in urban combat. I use auto repair because it's so comfortable and makes me not have to get away from the battle as much. I can regain hitpoints while fleeing or just traveling to a place right after a battle.
    • Up x 7
  7. f0d

the only real thing that needed changing (in regards to harassers) was to disallow harassers to repair with engineer while moving - yet SOE has gone to all this trouble and it still wont fix the harasser problem

imo the whole vehicle gameplay needs reworking to make it less about killing infantry and more about vehicle vs vehicle warfare (make vehicles be able to take more damage from infantry but deal out less damage and splash to infantry)

also tank mines need to be put back to their original size instead of the monster truck wheel sized things they are now - you can see them from a mile away which reduces their ability to be actual tank mines and makes them only useful as sundy killing explosives
    • Up x 5
  8. HLM

Pretty much what I was going to say. I don't think anyone out there is trying to kill Harassers with C4.
    The problem is Harassers being able to kill tanks with their sniper-rockets from the other end of the map. The last thing they are worried about is a LA dropping C4 on them while they are speeding off into the sunset in the middle of the desert.
    • Up x 3
  9. Hoki

Exactly! I tank the same way you do. Prox radar for all the OCD heavies and light assault, and not needing to exit my tank in order for auto-repair to kick in.

I think only sunderer needs prox radar moved to defense since AMS is the real reason that people don't use prox radar on sundies.

I've put a lot of certs into tanks and this would pretty much ruin my tanking style. Sometimes I like to tank as something other than engineer.
    • Up x 4
  10. NDroid

I completely agree with this proposition, the current Saron synergises much better with the Harasser than it does with the Magrider, and many Mag drivers including myself have been pretty much forced to switch to the Halberd to stay competitive.

Also while Harasser balance is obviously a pressing matter, the Magrider could use some help in other areas as well. The most often repeated points are the low projectile velocities that are no longer justified and which certainly aren't helping when dealing with fast targets like the Harasser, and the Magburner being very lackluster and having little usefulness in combat- a common suggestion regarding it is to make it omni-directional and probably last longer than a second.
    • Up x 3
  11. Warruz

I really hope the lightning gets a pass soon, its in such an odd position with the harasser and even with these changes it leaves the lightnings roll largely undefined (one could argue it should be between a harasser and a MBT).
    • Up x 4
  12. Hoki

I think we can at least count on it requiring 1 (maybe two?) more halberd shots to destroy a sundy/tank than it currently does, with enforcer/sauron TTK increase equivalency.

I also wish they would nerf these weapon's sniper accuracy. You want to nerf their infantry effectiveness? Nerf their sniper accuracy.
    • Up x 1
  13. teks

As long as they increase our weapon velocity 25m/s in the general cannon balance, and fix HE a bit I'm happy.

Lightnings aren't that bad off.

Considering the damage dropoff of secondaries is a pseudo buff to primary weapons, and that the lightning is able to kite targets effectively. They are getting a better position ultimately
  14. Torok

huehuehuehuehue
    • Up x 2
  15. TheAntiFish

You must be joking? If you're standing still long enough for one of them to hit you in the head you deserve to die.

If they hit you in the head while you're running 200m away then they deserve the kill.
    • Up x 14
  16. Pikachu

Elaborate please.
  17. Torok

I'm excited, It is surely related to Fractures/ZOE/Comets , all things that have slain me so many times easily without any effort that they made me almost lose faith in this game, now they are going to get the NERF BAT and I'm happy, that is all.
    Simple and egoistic, but Damn ******* happy! :D
    • Up x 1
  18. Phyr

What does this mean for Basilisks? Is the G40 Ranger going to get a buff?
  19. Kid Gloves

Please consider changing the Saron to a lancer-style charge up weapon. This keeps its close-fire behavior for those who like the current version, and gives it sniper behavior for those of us who preferred the original Saron.

Balance as required - I don't want OP, I just want something that behaves at least slightly like the Saron I purchased.
    • Up x 3
  20. Pikachu

You have not seen the test server change back in september? All but vortex were given negative damage modifiers for infantry.