[Suggestion] Bailing pilots and how to fix it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Goretzu

It would seem to give the ejection seat a genuine advantage that many would want, without actually changing how the game plays (only changing if the pilot survives a destroyed aircraft).

There might well be downsides too, but so far I haven't thought of any.

I dunno, I think changing thing so that perhaps if you ejected in flight without ejector seat you had a PS1 type % fail (and/or indeed a PS1 climbing-out animation) and/or if ejector seat pretty much guareented your safe ejection from a destroyed aircraft it would proably improve the game in general.
  2. FeralBoy

I have no issue with bailers in vehicles or aircraft, I understand that generally when people are inside of something on fire
    :D
    • Up x 1
  3. Foxirus

The easiest fix would be to make Jetpacks not remained charged while in vehicles. You could then follow up with not allowing jetpacks to recharge while in the air. Set them to where they only recharge while you are on the ground.
  4. Kristan

That's pretty much understandable. But shouldn't they just land or eject... via ejection seat?

You don't jump form your car at full speed cuz it's suddenly set on fire. Are ya?
  5. FeralBoy

It's never been on fire at high speed before so I can't give you any empirical data per that specific question.
    I can assure you that between an unknown outcome from a high speed bailout versus my ruggedly handsome face melting off in a fire I'm going with the high speed bailout. ;)

In general I just don't have any issues/frustrations with people bailing/possibly living to fight on versus gauranteed dying/done for the moment in an explosive fire. I do it quite often from my vehicles. :D
    • Up x 2
  6. Kristan

Ok, I see hitting brakes and then bail is not an option.
  7. Cynicismic

I speak as an ESF pilot, (specifically a Scythe pilot), and I can safely say that I honestly don't care if an enemy pilot decides to bail out to save his petty statistics once I shoot him down. It's the fact that I actually emerged victorious against him that matters, and not that I can add another meaningless digit to my total kill score. If he uses the ejection system, he is putting himself at a major disadvantage during a dogfight, (I prefer to use the Nanite Auto-Repair system so that I can firstly repair without having to find a place to land, and can also passively repair myself during a dogfight by using many irregular evasive manoeuvres, and can also repair whilst on an enemy ESF's tail), and is only proving how pathetic he is when he jumps out of his burning fuselage and redeploys.

Though what is hilarious is that if you can swing around and locate him quickly following him jumping out, you are often very able to kill him during his descent, which produces some brilliant whines. One of my best is when someone accused me of being a useless pilot because I "prioritised irrelevant targets", and that I should have left him alone. While I may have been better off just leaving him alone to attend to his petty K/D, there is a certain satisfaction in ruining someone's beloved statistics that they care so much for, they will deny enemies a kill when their adversary rightfully outplayed them in a fight and instead flee to protect their precious statistics.

Pilots that care for K/D scores can quite easily buy rocket pods and harvest groups of enemies that we see amass in certain areas that generally become subject to massive bottleneck squeezes - Biolab landing pads, Sunderer spawns, and other such areas being prime examples. Pilots who fly for bravado can dogfight, and fuel their egos as I tend to do when in my Scythe, (and those cowardly can abandon honour and flee their aircraft after they have been outplayed by their adversary). Those who play for support can attack ground vehicles and groups of infantry, and prioritise targets of importance.

Cowards will be cowards, I suppose, though don't be phased by it. You won the dogfight, and were the bigger person because you let the coward escape with their precious K/D. Unless, of course, you take my approach, and deny them their beloved statistics. That makes you a troll, though you're counter-trolling these trolls anyway, which makes you a vigilante troll in your own right.
    • Up x 1
  8. FeralBoy

The only one setting parameters is you. ;)

I don't have issue or frustration with people bailing out of 'any' vehicle. Period.
    I certainly wouldn't punish players with the moxie to bail out of a flaming aircraft or ground vehicle and begin repairing it before its come to a complete stop by using the no-eject under 20% health mechanic PS1 had either.
    The xp and directive update for the vehicle kill is still a win for me and my empire. I made them bail out. I made them squander their nanite investment before they wanted too.
    In the case of an aircraft I helped stem the tide of the biggest cert-farming, xp gaining tool their ever was in both PS games.
    In the grand scheme and current state of this game people bailing out of 'any' vehicle is just a non-issue for me.
    Just my .02, carry on.
    • Up x 1
  9. Who Garou

Seems I have read this thread before.

You can exit an ESF just like any other vehicle.
    If you exit out when you are flying one without an ejection seat and without a light assault, guess what happens?

So do you get the kill if someone jumps out and they aren't a light assault?
    I doubt it. That's a suicide death.

The cost for saving your life as a light assault is not being able to repair your ESF as an Engineer.

I could care less about my K/D ratio. The important aspects of Planetside 2 are Alert wins which require base defense and base captures. I see no reward in the game for a high K/D ratio other than personal arrogance.

So I see someone posted that they aren't concerned about KDR but ejection seat viability. The first thing I slot in EFS is the ejection seat. I use that build for quick transport - that is not my fighter aircraft. A EFS with an ejection seat will get you were you want to go quicker than ANY other type of vehicle and often far faster than spawn-jumping across the map.
    This being said, the complain is about light assaults being able to jump out of the EFS and surviving, because ... apparently, someone wants their K/D Ratio to go up because they killed the pilot as well as destroying their ESF.
  10. Jake the Dog

You can't bail if you blow up in one hit. ;D
  11. FateJH

I don't recall the exact order of things and I don't have time to browse the patch notes to check this myself. I seem to think, for some reason, that the previous changes to account for pilots bailing happened prior to the "experience for Vehicle destruction" change. Am I wrong?
  12. Shiaari

No, you didn't merely "mention" KDR in your original post. You expressed disapproval of pilots who eject to preserve their KDR. That's a little more than a mention. That's a thesis.

What you've done in this thread is depart from your thesis, which is: ESF pilots should to stay in their aircraft and accept defeat so that the victorious player gets credit.

That's your thesis, and it is very much about KDR, not making ejection seats viable.

And then there's this statement you just made:

I think we've got you pegged squarely. Stop trying to evade. Stay on topic.

That being said, why are you so focused on your KDR?

Ok, so they bailed to preserve their own KDR, and probably to troll you. Fine. Tsk tsk. Yet, what justifies forcing a player to remain in a doomed vehicle just so that they take a death and someone gets a kill? How many times have you finished off a vehicle already damaged by someone else? What gives you the right to claim victory?

No, players should be able to bail from badly damaged vehicles. And you, you should just have to deal with it. Vehicle kills are tracked in your stats. This is good enough.
  13. Silkensmooth

Yes its a strategy to deny kills and preserve K/D. What is the strategy of running drifter jets and redeploying before hitting the ground?

Logging out to preserve K/D was a strategy too then?

Suiciding to deny XP was a strategy?

I don't see anyone trying to land and continue the fight. All i see is people trying to ram and bail before they hit you and redeploy. Or people who get on fire and jump out shooting their own plane and redeploy before hitting the ground. Or people who bail out just before their plane explodes and redeploying before they hit the ground.

What i DONT see is light assualts jumping out to continue the fight.

Only those who enjoy padding their K/D with what is essentially an unintended and undesirable but probably too expensive to fix exploit will defend such cheesy behavior.

Redeploy with no out of combat timer is silly in the first place. Adding a 30 or 60 second out of combat timer would help tremendously but cheesers would still cheese.
  14. CorporationUSA

They added multiple ways to eject, just like they added multiple ways to heal, multiple way to repair, multiple ways to spawn, multiple ways to kill various things, etc.. PS2 gives loads of options for completing a task.

People can bail from tanks and harassers without an ejection seat. And they don't even have to pick a light assault and be stuck using NAR to do so. They will probably be killed afterwards, but so will bailing pilots, in my experience.
  15. Kristan

You've got your mind too stuck to "KDR".

I don't care about my KDR. It's ****** and won't get better since I play as infantry most of times. I want the kill. Not for KDR. For myself. That's why I don't satisfy with "vehicle kill exp", I want satisfaction of kill because "I got that sucker."

I'd say... it's the matter of honor.
  16. Shiaari

>>I want the kill. Not the KDR

You are aware that KDR is the "Kill to Death Ratio," correct? Wanting the "kill" is by definition caring about your KDR.

If KDR weren't at issue, then a simple air-to-air victory--as signified by the bailing pilot--would be sufficient. No, you want the "kill." You want the little DING that says your kill count went up.

That's all KDR.
  17. PGxTeaLeaf

TR heavies with auto repair mosquito and a stryker install bail out. This method is less effective with VS and NC heavies. Outfit ops utilizing galaxy droppers will also find bail out useful using aircraft to keep fire off the galaxy, and drop in heavy assault or support with their group to aid point captures. The NC phoenix is a sad cruel joke much like lock-ons, but the other lock-ons are a little bit more useful in my opinion. Light assault is a horrible skilless class anyway. They are known to me as "dead on the roof top." They are the same type of players as full time pilots who often behave with a feeling of entitlement, and are more likely to send angry tells after their poor decisions got them owned. Bailing out seriously hurts for players looking to gain kill merrits using AA weapons, but I would'nt change it.
  18. Kristan

But here is the difference:
    Someone bails out from a burning tank and trying to escape. Most likely he will get damaged from vehicle explosion first. Because that driver is on his feet, that means he won't go away too far. Which means most likely he will die by the next shot. No need for thermals or other trickery.

On the other hand we have ESF pilot who bails out in midair on speed of 100-200 km/h. Bailing pilot receives the momentum and keeps going with about the same speed. ESF explodes and there are lots of burning debris in the air. At thermals both debris and pilot are yellow dots, at which you have to find out what are debris and what are the pilot. It only gives him more time for redeploying. And by using drifter jet he might change the direction on where he happen to appear. He might stop, he might fall down. That pilot can operate speeds mush higher than sprinting speed.

So the difference is huge, don't you think?
  19. Kristan

No, you're wrong. Caring about KDR is caring about numbers in your stats. I want the kill as satisfaction of victory over another player.

That's as you can't say that you defeated other player because he got away from you with 10% HP.
  20. Silkensmooth

Because ejection seat is in the game for a reason.

If you want the ability to deny kills then you need to sacrafice something to get it.

And as you stated yourself those players are trying to troll other players by bailing and redeploying before hittiing the ground.

How is that any different than simply logging out? They changed it so that you couldnt just log out to deny kills. Because it was cheese.

How is this any different?

Besides it has nothing to do with K/D or 'credit' it has to do with putting to death that pilot who has angered you greatly. Its about competition and not cheesing people and trolling people with lame 'tactics'.