[Suggestion] Bailing pilots and how to fix it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, Sep 27, 2015.

1. stalkish

Just to let you know, not sure if anyones said:

In PS1 bailing from a moving vehicle required a different command than entering and exiting when stationary, you had to click Alt-G (bail) instead of just G (enter/exit), clicking just G gave you a message 'cannot exit vehicle while in flight'.

If your aircraft health degraded past 20% you had a 'chance' of it failing. In my experience (a lot) this rarely happened to single seater crafts, it did happen a lot more to multi crewed vehicles. This was because when the first user ejected, e.g. the lib bomber ejected, the already damaged and now fragile eject system breaks, meaning the remaining user, i.e the pilot, cannot eject. (There was a way around this - IF the pilot bailed first he could kick the remaining vehicle users by locking the vehicle).

If however you manage to land your vehicle the 'exit vehicle' button defaults back to just G, exiting your vehicle never breaks, so you wont be left sat on the floor waiting to die.
    Also aircraft had no 'on fire' mechanic, so even if you had 0.00000001% health, landing your craft was easy.

Additional Info:
    All aircraft had a bail mechanism as standard, it worked exactly as it does now, bright comet tail, no momentum on exit.
    Ground vehicles also had a 'bail' function (ALT-G) however, the driver of said vehicles could not use this function ('Open cockpits' were the exception to this rule, harasser, flash, ES buggies, skyguard).
    You couldnt pilot any 'closed cockpit' vehicles, ground or air, with reinforced exosuit (heavy assault equivalent), again there was an exception to this, the sundy.

I think the OPs reasoning is that the eject seat will never fail, so theoreticaly youd run Fire supp OR Eject seat to avoid this possibility.

Sometimes i think we'd be better of with the old PS1 enter exit annimations so instantly exiting any vehicle isnt possible, but without the above mentioned 'bail' rules, how much of PS1 is missing (e.g. seperate command for bailing) and of course how fast paced PS2 is, im not sure it would fit or work.
  2. stalkish

That right there is an excellent idea!
    Thumbs up.
  3. MrJengles

Yes yes! I've suggested these before too and would love to see both in PS2.

PS1 had enter/exit animations which they decided not to do for PS2 because of the effort to create and they're taxing on performance. But putting in a short time delay (possibly even providing the option of an implant to speed it up) would get us half way there without much effort or any performance hit.

PS1 also had an anti-bail mechanic but I much prefer a cert that the player is in charge of to a random chance that depends on whether the plane is on fire. As said, it gives more reason to use Ejection Seat.

Just to point out though, the developers don't use these forums (apart from Radar). They're far more active on Reddit so that's the best place to get such ideas seen.
  4. Rentago

easy fix, make it so when the vehicle gets below like a 30% threshhold your vehicle door is "jammed" preventing the player from leaving unless you come to a complete stop and I say VEHICLE because this should apply to everything except maybe certain ones like ATVs.

The idea being from planetside 1, people would always eject or jump out of a vehicle when it would be near death, so they made a feature that when you try to emergency eject you'd recieve a message saying your vehicle exit has sustained damaged and is jammed. You could still exit the vehicle if you landed or came to a complete stop however.

Don't expect this to ever be implemented though, it will anger the MLG community who rely heavily on their K/D ratios for self worth.
  5. Kristan

I've been through that and I'd say that won't work in PS2 realities, at least for ESFs. PS1 landing and PS2 landing is way different. While in PS1 complete stop was possible, but some landing surfaces prevented that, in PS2 to achieve complete stop is quite hard, especially during emergency landing while you're on fire and about to blow up any second.

That's why I imply that pilot may exit as soon as landing gear retracts. Sometimes it saves the aircraft that you jump out at the last moment when it didn't even hit the ground and begin repairs. Besides if pilot wants to get away from being killed like that, they won't get anywhere too far from their aircraft, which means more chances of being spotted and shot down.
  6. Akashar

Well I don't know about WWI this much but in WWII, most pilots had parachutes, and the ejeciton seat was yet to be invented.
    • Up x 1
  7. Akashar

As many guys said in the thread, why die uselessly when you can just get a job done on the ground? You want a good example? A BR 100 that I downed in his liberator bailed out (Wow, coward!) and just sneaked in my back with his LA, c4ed my skyguard. Isn't it justified? Seriously? That's good tactic to me.
  8. Kristan

It's a great tactic, sure. But Ejection Seat should you give access to that tactic.
  9. Akashar

Yes, if you play anything else than LA, if you're LA and without ejection seat, no problem for me, try your luck. An infiltrator, or an enginer, heavy with ejection seats are interesting, but LA got nothing over them, except jetpack, thank god. Let them have the ability to survive bailing without ejection seat, that's no big deal.
  10. Kristan

No. LA's stay their butts put inside until they install Ejection Seat as well.
  11. Taemien

I'm not being debated because the OP doesn't have a point. And.. the rest.. agree with me. Why would they debate me? Read the other posts, they are tearing him a new one.

In other threads when I've tried to debate this particular OP he gets defensive, takes an argument personally and launches a personal attack. So its him that responds best to it. I don't really give two craps about hurting his feelings. He can go cut himself for all I care. Might do us all a favor if he did.
  12. Ronin Oni

It would not.

enter/exit is cool the first few times, and just an annoying meaningless hassle every subsequent time.

This is a game, not a simulation. Making people deal with obnoxious mechanics because it's more accurate or realistic is a bad compromise.

Also, as I noted, the game has issues with determining if vehicle is actually stationary or not. How many times have you been mashing deploy on Sundy or Prowler trying to get it to engage because it hasn't flagged you as stationary?

Now imagine trying to land for emergency repairs.

It'd just be death,. every time. You don't have time to waste seconds trying to convince the game you're landed. Sometimes I don't even have time to land, hopping out 5ft above the ground to get repair beam on it before it blows.
    • Up x 1
  13. MrJengles

I meant from Kristan's point of view there are many people to talk to and pretty much everyone is being more reasonable than you. Only a fool goes to the internet with the intention of replying to every single person, no matter how unreasonable they are.

"And.. the rest.. agree with me."

I'd say it's more accurate that opinion is divided.
  14. CorporationUSA

I don't understand why it needs to be viable. I'd sooner get rid of it and let people use LAs to eject. It's even more useless now with the safe landing implant. An infiltrator can fly over a tech plant/tower and bail out without slowing down with a T1 implant and no certs spent. Or they can use a valk, which is cheaper than an ESF anyway(albeit, slower).
  15. Silkensmooth

Bailing out with a light assualt is no different than suiciding to deny kills or logging out to preserve K/D.

People are NOT bailing to continue to fight.

People ARE using drifters so that they can redeploy before hitting the ground.

Some of us don't give a crap about K/D. I fly as engi at all times, except when i forget and jump out to repair and blow up my plane with a rocket launcher or hit it with a recon dart.

I just care about the kill. I just want that noob who killed me with 3 friends to know who it was who blew him out of the sky. I want it to say that i killed so-and-so on my screen.

It has nothing to do with K/D.

Its principle. Ejection seat is in the game for a reason. If you want to bail you run ejection seat. If you dont then you should die when jumping out of your plane.

If landing gear is down you get to jump out sounds perfect. Currently you cant jump out without completely landing or plane will flip over anyway so that restriction wont prevent anyone from repairing.
    • Up x 3
  16. Akashar

As said many times before, bailing as LA IS a strategy, get over with it please.
  17. Kristan

at 5% of times people bail yes
    they could use Valk for that
    so just stop, you can't prove that bailing in the middle of nowhere where you've been shot is a tactic that you actually meant to actually drop on some tanks, where's actually lack of any
  18. Taemien

And if you search on youtube you'll find entire montages of this going on. And I'll wager what is happening in this video is what is really ticking off you and the OP about the subject.
  19. CorporationUSA

Ejection seat is pointless and shouldn't even be in the game at this point. Just remove it and then everyone can stop crying about it not being used to bail. Then maybe we can get to the core of the matter, instead of having people falling back on "bbbut...ejection seat is in the game!" every time they run out of arguments.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kristan

Listen, if devs create something there is reason behind it. There was concept and idea behind it. They saw it purpose and use. But that's players who decided to walk around it, because game provided other option those devs could not see first. As for example deconstruction and logging off midair to prevent death. Both of those were fixed.