[Suggestion] Bailing pilots and how to fix it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, Sep 27, 2015.

1. CorporationUSA

So you don't think bailing should require more sacrifice? That's what I think you meant, but the issue got clouded when you started bashing people who bail, and asserting that they only do it preserve their KDR.
  2. Thardus

Well, if you can actually land it, you can get out. You just can't bail in mid-air. I think it's perfectly reasonable for the ability to leave your ESF in mid-air to be 'damaged' without you knowing about it. That way, the only guaranteed mid-air exit would be the ejection seat. Anything else would be a roll of the dice.
  3. Thardus

Funny you should mention that. Most pilots weren't given parachutes in WW1, because they thought it would inspire cowardice.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kristan

No, I still do think that bailing should require sacrifice. You see, Ejection Seat occupies the same slot as utilities such as fire suppression and flares. All of them could be described as "they save your life". So in my opinion it's quite unfair that LA's are able to save their lives with ability to use other lifesaving utility at the same time. It's like they have two of them, while the rest have only one.
  5. Ronin Oni

for what purpose? ANd there was another reply speaking to the issues this game has with trying to deploy a sunderer or prowler while it's slowly sliding, etc.

We're talking about burning ESF's where every fraction of a second counts.

Why screw over emergency landing repairs just because some KDR obsessed people either bail or get mad when someone bails?

I DGAF about any of them. I never bail, ever. No point. I don't get mad when someone bails on me, they're out of the sky (and I kill 4 out of 5 with follow up nosegun in the air anyways, only if there's more air targets or AA do they "get away")
  6. CorporationUSA

I already told you, they are giving up stealth, a useful defensive slot item, for NAR, something that has zero use outside of convenience. Do you realize how good stealth is? It pretty much makes you immune to coyotes. It makes G2A locks so much easier to avoid. And it allows you to get the jump on people far easier than without it. Stealth is by far the best defensive slot item, and that is why I think the trade-off is ok.
  7. Kristan

NAR ain't that bad if leveled well. Especially with fire supression, which triggers NAR instantly.

So I don't think that's a proper sacrifice.
  8. CorporationUSA

Fire suppression doesn't trigger NAR. And even if it did, you're gonna be without fire suppression for 45 seconds. Not worth it, imo.

It is bad. It does what I can do with a repair tool in about the same amount of time. The only thing that makes NAR not straight up inferior to stealth is that it's essential for playing bailout assault. Anyone who's not an LA and bailing out when they have NAR is playing with a gimped setup.
  9. Kristan

It does. Well at least did the last time I checked.

I do run NAR on all of my setups even not playing LA. You may say it's gimped, but it's only your opinion. It might be eventual Skyguard/AA Turret/AA MAX who will plink off some portion of ESF health and that's pretty annoying to find a place to land to repair that minor damage. I'd rather wait for it to repair on it's own. And I'd say lot of pilots are blind and deaf, they don't even notice that I got on their tail until I begin to shoot. Skilled pilots will notice you anyway. So I don't see much point of stealth. It's all about how you fight. It's all about playstyle. You like stealth, I like regeneration, both find their benefits. Yet it doesn't change that we need to discuss the other slot of the ESF.
  10. Taemien

One thing everyone is forgetting, a dead pilot is on their way to respawn and return to the sky, a bailed pilot needs to redeploy first. As well as avoid damage during the redeploy.

I've been known to let a pilot land, attempt repairs, and destroy their ride. Then leave them marooned out in the middle of nowhere. Serves two purposes. It takes just that little extra time to return them to the fight, and breaks their morale.
  11. CorporationUSA

I assure you, if you play with stealth long enough, you will become an expert at landing and repairing in seconds after taking a little bit of damage. It's probably faster than waiting for NAR to kick in most of the time.

You are effectively running a gimped setup. You aren't immune to coyotes, and you are definitely eating more lock-ons because that 1 sec extra lock-on time makes a ton of difference with the amount of G2A launchers in the game. People do look at the minimap all the time, it's absurd to suggest they don't. You'd really have to run max stealth for a bit to fully understand how good it is. There is nothing subjective about this, NAR is just for convenience unless you are running a bailout assault. If you don't feel like landing to repair, that's fine, but don't assert that LAs with NAR aren't running a gimped setup because you don't like to repair. Your whole argument is based on this belief that there is no disadvantage to using an LA to bail, which is patently false.
  12. Kristan

Okay-okay, I see your point. But we're still into a problem - how to make ejection seat viable. It's either make it better somehow or cause restrictions for people to actually use it.
  13. Turiel =RL=

Ejection seat should be the only way to leave an ESF in mid-air. This is also the most "realistic" way to go about it. Rendezook and similar stuff are for the circus. Once landing gear is out, the pilot should be able to leave the plane in order to repair it though.
  14. FABIIK

Should be a stat tracking 'aerial victories'.
    Real flying aces don't care if the enemy bails out or not.
    Plane goes down ? Job's done!
  15. Kristan

I'm not an ace. HENCE I WANT BLOOD TO BE SPILT!!!

Blood for the Blood God.
  16. Goretzu

To be fair, bail in a ground vehicle and there's a pretty good chance you'll be killed by whatever killed it.

Bail in an aircraft (as LA) and there's a pretty good chance you'll not be killed before you can escape.

It is quite possible to escape in both, of course, but with Air and LA it is orders of magnitude easier than anything but Stalker Cloak in a ground vehicle.

I'm not sure it is a problem, but still it is what it is.
  17. Goretzu

It could auto-eject at 1% or even as the aircraft is destroyed.

It would cause some pilot rage, undoubtedly, but would make it a very tempting choice for many (without actually making it any better at all gameplay-wise).
    • Up x 1
  18. Kristan

I kinda like it. Percent might be higher, but still.
  19. FABIIK

Well guy if you wanna go that way, I must say I have never seen a drop of blood in this game.
    One could even argue that no one even dies since every casualty is brought back to life within seconds.

The Blood God won't get anything in this Auraxis war...
    He needs soldiers of flesh and bones.
    Not some Nanite made clone warriors. ;)
  20. MrJengles

-> Insults OP; complains about insults.

-> Asks for fair debate; makes up the only options the OP is allowed to debate on and ignores what's actually being said.

Irony!

Taemien, you're probably not being debated because you're the furthest from a fair discussion out of everyone in this thread. You act like everything you say is undeniable truth, to the point you're trying to tell the OP his own reasoning. Cool it.

As Kristan mentioned, these were exactly the same arguments that were put forth when bailers used to deconstruct or log off - I.E. the people asking for change only care about K/D. The developers ruled that not to be in the spirit of the game and removed it.

Looking at it from the player's K/D is absolutely 100% meaningless. Bailers avoid a death and pilots (or skyguards) don't get a kill or the full XP. So the more voraciously either party argues about K/D the more they make the point of the other party - it cancels out.

And what about the players who don't care about K/D? They do exist. And in the many times this suggestion has come up and several people have supported it what are the chances they ALL care about K/D? Especially since some of them - OP and myself in the past - have said they flat out don't care about K/D. The simplest explanation is they genuinely don't hold the same opinion you do, not that they're all liars.

Surely, someone in favor of fair debate is willing to deal fully with the arguments being put forth?