[Suggestion] BA-rifle range specialization vs. nanoweave

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Lazaruz, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Lazaruz

There has been a lot of discussion about Bolt Action rifles and the overabundance of nanoweave armor. Also it has occurred to me that Infiltrators can't really customize our rifles to the extent I would hope. Currently I just pick a scope and I'm ready to go to work, with very little time/certs invested in my weapon of choice (compared to a LMG or Carbine that might take over 400 certs to customize). I believe the new straight bolt attachment mentioned in the Infiltrator update is going to be a rail attachment (could be wrong though) but in any case...

How would you feel if Bolt Action rifles had access to a ammunition certification that would increase the damage over a certain range, while lowering the damage over other ranges. For example: X-type ammo would increase damage at 150-300m to guarantee a 1 head shot kill through nanoweave, but in turn lowered the damage at ranges below 150m making 1-head shot kills impossible. Y-type of ammo would work the other way around. This would allow an Infiltrator to choose his engagement range, allowing for more specialized roles/loadouts than we currently have. And who says these couldn't be implemented in Semi-auto rifles as well, just with a smaller damage boosts/reductions. (If it needs more downsides, a small reduction in bullet velocity or magazine size could be a viable option).

Thoughts?
  2. RockPlanetSide2

:p Here is your rifle, but take your clothes off, you have to fight the enemy nude...

These sniper rifles are hyper hard to use compared to all the other full auto r3tard guns in the game.. .why should there be any compromise in making them good?
  3. Lazaruz

Because offering some sort of compromise is often a better foundation for further discussion. Instead of just making demands.
    • Up x 2
  4. RockPlanetSide2

Did SOE compromise on some other issue that I don't know about?

Until they admit that Nanoweave is broken Straight Bolt is what you get.

Yes, Ammo types would be great. Tho I think the compromise should be bullet velocity not damage. You could use "head shot ammo", but it would make the bullet velocity about 300, so hitting moving targets would be just about impossible.
  5. cfnz

+1 for the sentiment.
  6. Plague Rat

I'd say make it a cert that increases the minimum damage range by 50 meters. (75m rifles to 125m, 100m rifles out to 150m) Than maybe increase the rate at which the bullet drops (more weight) more than mess with velocity, or maybe a little of both.

EDIT:
    here's what that would put the OHK ranges for each NW rank for the 100 and 75m rifles respectively:
    NW2 133m - 108m
    NW3 136m - 111m
    NW4 122m - 96m
    NW5 108m - 82m
    Maybe let it bypass an additional 10% of a MAX's damage reduction as well (from 80% reduced to 70%) or something so it's not a one trick pony.
  7. m44v

Something that increases the minimum damage range would be great, as a drawback it should increase recoil.
  8. ZogVarnoka

So let me get this straight, you want a ammo cert that is made to benefit long range sniping but the draw back is it makes long range sniping more difficult by increasing bullet drop AND travel time? Haven't thought this through much have you guys?

Better way to go about it for BASR would be increase the ammo cert damage to make head shots OHK and increase the time between shots as the draw back. This is for 200m+ sniping. I consider 125-200m med range fighting and under 125m close range.

Just increasing the minimum damage range won't benefit long range snipers in the least. We're already working at minimum damage all the time and changing it by 50m won't do jack.
  9. Plague Rat

Since we're talking about extending the range of a guaranteed one-shot-kill then the only acceptable negative is making the shot more difficult. Anything that comes after the shot would be a meaningless gesture.
  10. bebbly

Why dont they just make bolt actions have a 3x multiplier for headshots? Seems such simple change that would only affect one type of gun.
  11. Spoprockel

3x seems a bit over the top.

But they could adjust it to be just high enough to kill NW5 users at min damage range.

At the same time add another suit slot that reduces ALL headshot multipliers of ALL weapons, to take over the part of NW5 in preventing OHK.

Something like
    Rank 1: 0.10
    Rank 2: 0.15
    Rank 3: 0.20
    Rank 3: 0.25
    Rank 3: 0.3
    (might need to be adjusted to be balanced)
  12. Vaphell

why don't they bump min dmg to 625?
  13. McToast

Moin

Simply increase the maxdamage range. For T1 rifles up to 150m, T2 rifles up to 175 and T3 to 200 or something like that. No need to fiddle with damage or HS multipliers.

Making sniper rifles - especially BASR - useful again is my biggest hope for the infiltrator GU. Reduce the cloak noise by a good deal and I'm happy, don't need a drone or some new weapons. Make the existing weapons useful.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
  14. ZogVarnoka

Wrong. It used to be (for quite a some time) that a head shot from ANY distance was a OHK. This was changed due to a BUG that then became a feature for some unknown reason. What we are looking at doing is returning it to the way head shots used to be nothing more nothing less.

Not everything needs a negative side. The vast majority of weapon certs have ZERO negatives. No reason why this one needs one as it would be returning the BASR back to the way it used to be. But if you have to have a negative, punish the infil by making follow up shots near impossible by lengthening the time between shots. Long range sniping can be difficult even on targets that are standing still due to them moving before the bullet gets there. Long range being 200m+. In the case of engineers on turrets they can be extremely challenging when 350+m (due to them rendering like vehicles). And no one except for some AFK will stay still for a body shot.

Decrease the bullet velocity causes the bullet to drop more and increases travel time thus giving TWO negatives to using said ammo cert. It makes no sense for something that is supposed to be a benefit to long range sniping.
  15. OmgWtfImba

First, NW5, even under the old description, would stop sniper headshots at long range. Secondly, The bug/feature was always around. It just didn't get a lot of attention before because:
    1. Not many people had higher levels of nanoweave due to fewer certs to spare and flak being more essential back then, making one-shots were far more common.
    2. No headshot audio cue. When an infil headshotted and didn't kill, they simply assumed they got a body shot.
    3. No officially published weapon data. The data from game files that the spreadsheets were compiled from notably do not contain info on damage dropoff/distance (those were obtained experimentally, for the most part). People knew that headshots weren't killing in (then) rare occasions, but it was explained away with funky headshot modifiers. It was only when people realized that some infils weren't dying to headshots either that they suspected something was up.

HVA is supposed to be a long range attachment too, yet it increases recoil, slightly reducing the long range performance. Doesn't make sense either, does it? In any case, pretty much every weapon attachment has a negative. Suppressor destroys your bullet velocity and damage at range. Compensator doubles the range at which you show up from the minimap from 40 to 80 meters, and hinders hipfire. The ammo certs have smaller penalties, but smaller benefits as well. Foregrip and laser sight are the only ones that are close to straight upgrades, and even those have the considerable opportunity cost of only having one or the other, something which will not exist in your case.

BASRs do need some tweaking as nanoweave becomes more prevalent, but selling a significant straight buff as an attachment is bad precedent. Better to add 2 certs, both on i.e. the rail slot, each with a non-negligible downside as well as a significant trade-off between the two, for example
    1. Find-some-name-for-it: Minimum damage range +75m (+50 if suppressed), Halves breath time.
    2. Straight pull bolt: Same as BF3, no need to scope out after shooting. Decreaes bullet velocity ~10%.
  16. Nyscha

VS bolt actions should kill at all ranges even with nanoweave by default they should add a cert to TR/NC bolt actions whichs let them always get a 1 hit headshot kill as well.
    Plasma shouldn't be losing potency.
  17. Entarticus

Ever heard of Blooming?