[Suggestion] Awesome Assaults

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by turingmachina, Aug 10, 2014.

1. turingmachina

First off let me start by saying, that I don't spend very much time on my Light Assault. The class is okay, but I feel that until the Light Assault Revamp (and depending on its effects) there isn't really much "wow" factor to the class.

But, there could be.

Could be what? Wow factor, fun factor.... ZOOOOM factor.

I've always had a problem with these kinds of classes, most of the time they feel pretty light, but not very assault. Assault in the sense of the word that you, as fast as physically possible, wreck some mo' fo's up, but light in the sense that you make like the Charleston and skedaddle out of there as fast as possible.

In Planetside 2's sense its not so bad! The LA can do a bunch of damage, shields and health aren't too much of a factor any more (since except for ambiguous, inaccessible shield stats, all classes are nearly the same) is designed with CQC in mind, but can do well in medium range-encounters. They are the most mobile of any class, and in my opinion are better infiltrators than actual infiltrators.

I might sound jealous, which is because I am! I love to see a good squad of light assaults completely wreck a tower (much less when its TIW and I'm a hapless inhabitant of said tower) and capture points in a display of bravado.. and crazy... legs... sky-drifting and kinda silly... jets? Jets. Yeah okay problem here.

They are kinda slow and wonky to use, I don't like the default ones even certed up a bit. They just don't provide enough oomph. Drifter jets are almost a joke if anyone has seen the animation (its maybe lag though, I see it way too often), and I hate to see them as merely a tool for MULTI-C4 DRIFTING!
    [IMG]
    My suggestions therefore:

1. maybe leave the default jets alone, they are neat for small, quiet jumps from roof to roof for setting up ambushes, monkey-assaulting in the trees.

2. A new, really fast low-angle forward jetpack. You can call the movement a leap, when activated the jets start launching you forward and slightly up. Fast. Your jets leave a short-lived trail of obscuring smoke marking where you land, where you came from, but hiding that spot effectively for a second or two. I want to be clear, this is about as fast as the horizontal jump pads on the towers and more or less the same curve. The distance should be about 50 meters, but I haven't really done any visual confirmation of that, it just seems like a good engagement range to close for most fights. This will cover small hills like on on Amerish, Esamir, a small wall (small outpost walls on indar), base obstructions and the distance from most spawns to effective cover. (see horrible illustration)

3. A new, really fast, fixed height vertical burst jump jet. JUMP jet. I want to see those LA's go from ground to the mid-level of the tower (I'm a little wonky on vertical distances, lets say 20-30m?) in 1 second. Yes, I said 1 second. The trade off? Its fixed height and at the apex there is only a minimal forward or backward push allowed with a few seconds of safe-landing. No side-movement, this is not meant to replace or supersede the drifters, its meant to get to the top of a building, a tower, a wall in one second, throw off nades, check for enemies, pop off a few shots, or clear said wall and get back up and out when its charged up again. What? More on that below.

4. Loud, smoke trails (these are jets and if rockets can't be smoke or traceless, neither can these things). The default jets and the drifters are I suppose okay without a smoke trail or much noise, since the default jets are in my opinion slow as potatoes.

5. You can't use them again until they are fully charged. Yep. One shot at a time. Why? Did I mention these were fast? I mean imagine squads of screaming demons just jumping at you out of nowhere, and then they disappear again in that instant? Yes, I'll lay off the coffee, my point is a Light Assault should have to think about whether to use these new fast jets to get in or out of trouble, that's all. Certing up would decrease the charge time but the distance traveled remains the same as I think its a fair trade off for these break-neck speeds.

6. Stop. Hammer time. Horizontal momentum in the case of the horizontal leaping jets, is stopped on landing so you don't splat into a wall. This is thanks to the bright idea NS labs had to put the landing pad material on the bottom of Light Assault boots. I suppose, it would be fun and funny if you hit an enemy vehicle, you would go splat too... but this could also be fun:
    [IMG]

As mentioned terrible illustration of what my mystery words mean.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  2. Iridar51

Since we're sharing crappy drawing, how about this one? :p (not mine)
    [IMG]
    Divine Wind Jets - propel you down at supersonic speeds, upon impact Light Assault craters the immediate area, dazing any enemies around. Light Assault himself is protected from the impact by one-time shield device, that comes with that Jet Pack.

Order of use:
    1) Gain height with galaxy / ESF / jump pad / grav lift / yoga levitation
    2) press [F]
    3) you will be suspended in air, and you'll have about a second to choose position for landing
    4) *woooosh!* "Teran Repabriko no tameni! Banzai!" *booom!"

Long Recharge time / possible limited number of uses before resupply.
    I'm only about half joking :cool:
    • Up x 1
  3. turingmachina

1. Adorable
    2. Yes, yes yes.
  4. Xervous

That turbo boosting NC light assault in the OP... priceless.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sandpants

I would like a low duration burst pack, that is far quicker and crisp. The height bonus could be small and there could be enough fuel to just get on the roof of small buildings, as long as its fast and crisp and responsive.
  6. Iridar51

There really is no reason for default Jump Jets not to be fast, crisp and responsive.
  7. Sandpants

SOE is a reason.

Off-topic: I've noticed there is far more traction on trees now, anyone confirm? As in I don't slide off that easily.
  8. Iridar51

I remember reading people saying "hossin trees are like covered in oil" earlier, and recently thought to myself "but they're not! traction seems pretty good.", but I can't really remember if it wasn't always like that. I guess I don't spend so much time on trees to pay any attention to that.
  9. SevenTwo

Well... Actually, that does sound a lot like how the Jetpack functions in the Space Marine game from THQ:

Actually, I want this. Just swap the sword and pistol combo with a carbine, and we are good to go. :D
  10. Iridar51

I was thinking more about "crater" ability of the Assault class in the Firefall, but this is basically the same thing as well. Hey, I didn't say idea was original.
    And I wouldn't mind a pistol + sword combo on a LA either :rolleyes:
  11. DHT#

Yeah, I am totally down for that. You could basically have it act like a conc grenade for anyone caught in the impact blast.