Aweful engine is aweful

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tnsr, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Tnsr

Like WTF?
    I waited for the first "performance" patch after the initial release suffered massive problems. I thought things will get better. Well... we all should have known better that SOE is just unable.
    It's not like the performance became worse again (and that's some kind of art in itself to achive this!), the promissed changes also don't work. Enemy rendering by threat? Well I cann assure it doesn't work. I see shots flying at me from enemies maybe 50 meteres away without any enemy visible.
    And how do you guys think sniping is possible that way? I mean just 5 minutes ago I had a fight at Crossroads, I stood insight the main building on one of the stairs up to the spawn floor. The enemies standing on the opposite stairs weren't rendered. Suddenly 3 of them get rendered, I start to shoot, they disappaer and 2 other enemies get rendered. Seriously impressive SOE. We can't even play CQC proberly. Nothing left to say how useless it is to spawn with a sniper rifle.
    But not only sniping is a pain in the *** right now. Ever wondered why NC complains about their weapons? Low fps means enemies are more or less stuttering over your screen instead of moving smoothly. The slower your weapon shoots, the less chance you have to hit the enemy. The faster you shoot, the bigger the chance that spray and pray works out against the stuttering enemy as you get more inbetween feedback if you hit or not. Semi automatic shooting then is the worst thing that can happen to you.

I wouldn't be surprised if we would have some kind of a Crysis 3 engine working behind this game, but we are FAR FAR away from that poly count for the objects visible. Hell, you can count the polygons of a tank without problems. Moving parts on weapons don't move. Textures are medium. Only the lightning is really nice. So what is it that makes your engine to fail so miserably even on high end machines?

Get your engine finally together, SOE. This is a bad joke.
  2. Oreo202

OK... you make your own engine and an MMO FPS.
    • Up x 1
  3. forkyar

• Up x 1
  4. Necron

* Awful
  5. Tnsr

I can't. That's what I have in common with SOE.
    The difference is that I don't do it because of that.
  6. Linc

I see text, but all I read is "*****, *****, *****".
  7. Olek

I agree, I don't know what they have done, but I've been playing since the begining of tech beta, and I have never suffered this problem, people appearing and dissapearing while I'm firing on them, seeing no soldiers beyond 50m, seeing no rockets flying towards me, last night was just a shocker, how can you play when you cannot see the enemy?
  8. PharmD

How about play a different game that isn't riddled with problems like PlanetSide 2 is?
  9. Wardy

+1 For amazing spelling my friend. It truly is AWFUL.
  10. Shizzlesticks

This
  11. Yil

Awful spelling is awful.
  12. QuantumMechanic

I don't think any changes to the enemy rendering system were made at all with this patch.
  13. Olek

They must have done something, I've never had a problem like this since day one of tech beta, I did read here today mention of rendering threats only, how this could be done I don't know, I suppose I'll find out tonight if it was a one off night or not.
  14. Katana

Weird how it's an MMOFPS developed with large scale battles in mind - but also developed to spread people out because it literally cannot handle the numbers as its predecessor of 10 years could (higby or smedders said this, I cant remember which and i cant be arsed to find the quote). So in that sense yeah, it's a step backwards. But I couldn't do better. But it's not mah jerb to do better... vicious circle.
  15. Gammit