[Suggestion] AV turret needs some tweaks to balance

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Tanelorn, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Xebov

Im using the turret now for 4 days and if i sum up everything i think its fine the way it is.

- you need to find even terrain to build it up
    - the turret has a build time until it can be used
    - you dont have any optics
    - limited angle up/down/left/right
    - no control over the missile if you jump out
    - cooldown seems to start after the missile moved a bit away
    - you render as vehicle, 1 Missile or Shell and you are gone, same for Snipers
    - the Missile is visible to everyone
    - for targets further away the missile can block the direct line of sight to your target for you
    - you hit hard, yet i dont notice much difference to nearby heavys

I think it is a weapon for the right moment. The limitation in mobility (placement, set up time, angle) and vision (no optics) gets compensated by a good dmg and handling. Killing Tanks and Turrets further away is possible but not that easy, if the target moves it even gets harder. It simply cant be used in every situation and i rarely see engineers using the turret.
    • Up x 2
  2. Hanif

Thank you man, finally someone who knows what they are talking about. The AV turret is a big kill me magnet and I have died more times trying to use it then I have gotten kills with it. imho it is balanced just fine. Devs, once again, please ignore the morons...
    • Up x 1
  3. KodanBlack

While I agree with your statements here, I have to say that one of the fixes that most of those who griped about lock-on missiles suggested was a "wire guided" missile, so it took some skill to use. Now, you are seeing that as OP. When does claiming that something is "OP" stop? When every single thing in the game has the same rate of fire, accuracy, range, damage, and uses? When everything moves the same, has the same armor and load out specs?
  4. gunfox

I bought the Turret just because of the extreme range it has. If it wouldn't have this, it would be completely useless, since you're dead as soon as someone sees you. One HE shell destroys the turret (and you die when the turret is destroyed while gunning it, regardless of flak armor). I think I even witnessed that one(!) shot of the dual photon pods killed the turred, which seemed weird (but killed me nonetheless)

Unlike Heavy Assaults the Engineer has vehicle render range while in the turret, so snipers can easily kill you from extreme ranges while you can't even see them, and can't even hear eventual missed shots. Also it can be locked on and oneshot (which kills the engineer) by Annihilators, and you don't even get any optical/audial warning.
    It's in no way more powerfull than an annihilator, even less so. I even regret the buy a little bit.
    You can't even aim properly in the turret since the aim doesn't move "fluently", but in clusters of a few pixels.
    An engineer in the turret is the most vulnerable entity in the whole game.

Heavy Assault is still the go-to vor any Anti-Vehicle measures. The AV turret is just a toy for the one engineer that has to lay down ammo for the HAs.
  5. Tanelorn

The concept of wire guiding is not OP. Letting the missile fly to maximum render distance is. Remember this can be deployed and redeployed for free, and has infinite ammo. Also, if the turret is pointing at you, the engineer is completely protected from small arms.
  6. Mefi

Yet we don't see threads about it in the vehicle section though it's almost always has "NERF THAT ANNIHILATOR" threads.
    I've seen messages like "OMGNO it has 75% damage to a MAX" and "ARGH it isntagib infantry!!!" but that's just pathetic since it isn't effective against non-stationary infantry.

Maybe we should concern about nerfs when there will be a problem?

Really there few real issues that I've heard:
    1. That the rockets doesn't render at long distances. But it's common issue. Liberator projectiles often don't render too.
    2. Base turrets now even less useful as they can be destroyed by a random engineer.

I don't see nothing wrong about spamming rockets in the Crown direction because it's place that allows owner faction to invade in any direction even if the Crown isn't connected with a WarpGate.

Please tell me a real issues/bugs that you know.
  7. siiix

i disagree with ALL, to find a high point with that turret is a VERY rare opportunity, changing the game because of a few people getting the perfect location is just silly

although the rendering distance would be an advantage to me as i can see infantry even when they are only 1-2 pixels in size , but then how would the game know what my rendering distance is (i know i know it supposed to be server side, try to tell that my computer ;) )
  8. Deathcapt

AV turret is very situational, in certain situations it's very strong. That being said, it is a hard counter to tanks spam / shelling a base to oblivious from really far away. It's a hard counter to vehicle sitting in one spot in the open. Just like AV mines / c-4 are a hard counter to vehicles Parking next to a spawn room. The AV turrets Are suicide if you're closer than 300m away, and leave you really vulnerable to Aircraft / Snipers.
  9. warmachine1

It needs 1 adjustment together with AI turret.
    Separate sensitivity from vehicles!
  10. Ronin Oni

Turrets render as vehicles and thus turret operators show up at much longer ranges than other infantry.

Which is GOOD for balance actually... they should apply the same to RL equipped HA's (or lock-on equipped at the very least... limited to only while holding the Lock-On in hand) TBQH as being hit by invisible rockets, with invisible explosions, is just absurd.
  11. siiix

problem is infantry shows up at a rendering distance on my computer where they only 1-2 pixels, i cant even shoot that far with anything... its not actually a problem, i'm just saying to me it makes no difference , i have near unlimited rendering distance infantry or vehicle... as unbelievable this might sound , i did many test
  12. korpisoturi

AAAAWW, angry infantry "farmers who cant casually drive with they vehicles anymore around some bases/outpost and overpower infantry with relentless unaimed spam or (aimed to spawnroom doors)
  13. Keyski

There's a lot of issues that seem to contribute to why people think this weapon needs nerfing. If those issues don't get fixed, this, and other weapons in the game, are going to be nerfed for the WRONG reasons.

If the damage gets nerfed, then that's completely RIDICULOUS. I've had tanks, sundies, lightings, galaxies close to zero health magically get repaired up to 100% health in a matter of a second or two. Unless there is a cap on how many engineers can repair a vehicle, then I believe the damage on this turret should not be touched.

The biggest issue I'd have to say is the lack of awareness to where you are getting hit. This goes for ESFs, Libs, Tanks, ANYTHING. All you get is a little indicator in the direction of damage. Well NO DUH I'm getting hit in that direction. What they need to add is some sort of blip on your hud if you get locked on or hit (hell, even show the lock-on missile closing in). I'm just talking about a general blip of an area. I've been in my MBT thinking "where the hell am I getting shot from" and it's just a stupid situation. It was the same way with the ESF too.

If the shield is actually glitched and they add it onto the turret, then visibility from a distance shouldn't be an issue for tanks. It would be a GLOWING STATIONARY OBJECT TO SHOOT. I don't think you need to add a range nerf on top of that too.
  14. natethegreatess

doesnt need a nerf one bit. You know why? I used one and shot a heavy tank down to around 20% hp. He has max repair and repaired his ******** tank to 100% hp in 3 ******** seconds. You are calling this op but not repairing? What game are you playing
  15. PaladinZERO

In case you didn't realize, he was trying to hit an infantryman at the crown from the crossroads watchtower. The only way for him to do that is to see where he was in the scope of the sniper rifle, and him not to move from the time of spot to impact. Don't forget about rendering issues too, if the guy dropped out before impact it also would have been a miss.
  16. vilehydra

All turrets need buffs. End of Story.

They way to quickly.
  17. SgtScum

If you get a good semi-distant spot overlooking a base fight this turret is pure mana from heaven.

But as has been stated if you don't have that optimal position most of its supposed opness is turned into a quick death as your vehicle level visibility reveals you as soon as you set up and start firing.

If anything I hope they don't put the shields on it as its hard enough already to stay unnoticed even during a large fight when you are squirreled away in a nice bit of cover.
  18. CaligoIllioneus

They say it renders at vehicle distance, yes....but from experience sometimes their rockets do not follow this rule and become phantom damage. Annoying, huge phantom damage against tanks. Apart from this and how fast they can be replaced, I don't see any other problem with the turet.
  19. Mefi

Desync problems + client hit registration. Looks like sometimes the rockets are invisible.

Yeah, the turrets are disposable and a gunner can shoot a rocket and leave the position.

I wouldn't mind if it will require a little more time to (re)deploy in one case: if it'll have better angles. I was forced to redeploy it too many times to shoot a target that moved to a place that inaccessible to me since I can't turn the turret in that direction.

BTW from my experience I think that the most annoying obstacles are trees (their leaves and branches). It's hard to hit a target behind them with current mechanics: rockets become uncontrollable very often. Though if the target doesn't moves then the chance to hit is still high.
  20. Steppenwulf

From my experience with the AV MANA turret it is a wonderful defensive platform if you have a superior elevated position. The turret was designed to be anti vehicle and it fills that role spectacularly in long distance fights. The rocket itself is guided by the player only when the turret is controled by the player, because the rocket is a rocket it has a smoke trail which can obstruct the engineers view of his Target at extreme ranges. To me this is a balancing feature to make longer distance shots against tanks harder and long distance shots on infantry near impossible. Often times when I use the turret, I make near misses on infantry resulting in the need for a follow up shot. By the time my second shot is ready and on its way the my Target had gotten the Hell out of dodge. In this respect, the need for a second shot to kill infantry after a near miss is exactly like any current tanks main weapon.

The turret can also obviously kill tanks. In most cases I've seen, tanks will ignore my turret due to my range from them and their focus of killing the nearby infantry which basically is attempts at farming. It is not the fault of the turret's stats that the tank driver is pre-occupied and obsessed with killing nearby infantry. The turrets rocket appears to yield slightly more damage than the base HA rocket. This is reasonable due to the turrets immobile nature and limited cone of fire.

In conclusion, the AV MANA turret is an immobile tank weapon system which lacks the armor, toughness and cone of fire of a tank. Besides a few bugs such as failure to render certain crucial graphics (smoke trails, rockets, etc) the turret is well balanced.

Also for those who want to put a resource cost on turrets. Seriously? Engineers have no activated ability such as the HAs shield or infiltrators cloak. Instead of an active abilty we get a turret which in the past has been quite underwhelming.
    • Up x 1