[Suggestion] AV turret needs some tweaks to balance

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Tanelorn, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Blackinvictus

THIS!!!!
  2. GImofoJoe

Maybe limit its range to 1000m before gravity take toll and drop the rocket uncontrollably. Reduce speed by a little. But I didn't try it out yet, so I don't know.
  3. Tanelorn

Well I don't get this sniping thing at all because I tried to do that last night and all I ever see is a giant hunk of metal obscuring the gunner and it's impossible to damage the turret itself with small arms.
  4. Barosar

Don't forget that finding a place to plant a turret at all can be frustrating in its own right. Sure you find a great spot, now hunt for a flat-ish patch of ground to plant one and spend about 7s fine-tuning the position until the turret indicator is green. Then a teammate walks by and it is red again and you have to wait 2s more. Then wait 3s for the turret to spawn. Get on. Find a target. Fire. Guide. Become headshot'd by an infiltrator.

If you do manage to get a turret up, fire, and guide it successfully you're damn right it better be worth it when it hits.
  5. RealityWarrior

I love the video of the guy complaining about its pin point accuracy at long range yet it takes him a minute and a half to actually hit something. About, what what it, 6 misses THEN a hit?

Yeah REAL accurate there...
    • Up x 1
  6. Mefi

I don't complain about pin-point accuracy actually. This video is about the distance where an engineer is vulnerable. I don't even see them most of the time and yet they still there while other infantry don't.
  7. Mafiakocia

I do not see point of people who complain about AV turret - Yes it is powerful, yes it can two shot a lightning if a rocket lands in the lightnings *** - but what do You have backguards for? You thought mines were the only thing to be worried about? Pop there goes a mineguard so i can get back to steamrolling infantry? Well surprise surprise - It is a well desered buff engineers needed.

For too long engineers were only pocket dispensers of ammo and fixers of **** that got broken - When HA could shield themself from damage, FA could fly, medic could heal and infiltraotr hide in plain sight our only special ability was that we can shoot. Yes we could shoot. Oh and we could deploy tank mines. But any idiot who drove their tank for long enough time quickly learned to use mine guard and pop goes our only edge and advantage.

Engineers weapons are **** - Sure we can use shotguns - but HA can use em too - and they have shields, rocket launchers and LMGs. Sure we can use carbines - but FA can use them too and use them more effectively since he can fly. Sure we cound shoot a bit longer - but anytime should we face any other class than engineer we were as good as dead. Infiltrator would one shot us, HA would shrike us, FA would shoot us from places we were not expected to be attacked from, and medic could take a bit more damage than we did AND heal themselves thanks to the same ability.

"OOOH! but You have kobalt MANA turret" which glows like neonlight from vegas and instantly invties everything in vincinity to kill us - it also is lock-on'ed by annihilators or any other ground targeting homing missile systems - yes. Well surprise, surprise Engineer suddenly became really versatile - We sure do not have active skill, but we have plenty of tools to use to build our own advantage.

Not surprise here that You couldn't hit the tiny head behind a huge heap of metal which CAN be destroyed using personal firearms. If You couldn't hit it even once - well... That's the other story.
  8. Hadrekson

Lock on launchers are hard counters to av turrets. There are no warnings, you can get hit from outside render distances and it is a ohko.

Hitting enemy air is pretty much impossible unless they are hovering and any slight course correction means a miss as there is visual reference for you rocket. So a2g is pretty effective at killing these, or should be when aa gets balanced.

Otherwise, even though these aren't that op in their current state I could see making them turn dumb fire after like 500m or so reasonable as long range tank sniping is a bit too easy.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ronin Oni

One solution.

Render AV turrets at vehicle priority.

For that matter, HA's with launchers out (or lock-on launchers at the very least) should also get the same render treatment MAXes got.

You are so ridiculously vulnerable while using this thing that frankly most complaints are pretty invalid except for where they can hit while not being rendered (and thus immune to counter)... But that's a wide spread issue affecting all vehicle/infantry gameplay
  10. blzbug

Is this accurate? G2G lock on launchers will lock on the AV turret? I rarely HA, and my only lock-on is AA, so I never tried this, or saw it discussed on the forums. If this is true, then the AV turret will be pretty well balanced imo, when they fix a few of the rendering issues (smoke trail, invisible shield, etc).

The real bugbear of AV turrets is when they are taking out base/tower turrets. The immobile base turrets have 0 chance against an AV turret that can attack them from a huge distance. Crossroads to Crown, like in the video above.

I had a fun time last night on my LA. Snuck over to TI multiple times, where NC engys were AV turret-ing the crown. Silenced bullets to the back of their heads didn't care about range, rendering or shields :)

Question: If the engy can drop a little magic box that spits out 40 pound rockets, my can't my LA drop a magic box that dispenses 10 pound C4 bricks? Or my engy drop a box that spits out AT mines. I'd pay 700 SC for that in a heartbeat!
  11. blzbug

12. Jokka

They do render like vehicles. Both turrets do.
  13. Radian12

And what about snipers ? Snipers counter static engy turrents. I do not have the turret yet but it looks really cool .
  14. Naithe

Anything to reduce effective range would be fine for me.

Engineers, with flak are already suicide running at vehicles, with way to high effeciency. Giving Engineers long range AV turrets just makes them way to versatile. As someone mentioned, its bad enought with HA being a Supersoldiers. don't need more of that.

If the Turret has to stay the way it is now, it has to be a choice, where you actually take something away that is equally useful, like the Riffle or the mine etc.

Same treatment to HA's ofcourse.
  15. Frosty The Pyro

I have been told the anihilator can lock on to mana turets, I know for a fact that the G2G and G2A cannot.

I hant gotten to use the AV turret personaly, and am reserving judgement untill I do, but by the numbers.

The AV lock on does ~2200 damage (if the reports on 4 shots to kill a sundy are correct, otherwise its could be as low as 2000), with a 6 second reload, which can be certed down to 4.5, unlimited ammo, they have guided rockets with what I would estimate a med speed, and gives no lock on warning.
    Devestator rockets are 2000 damage, slow dumbfire missiles, high drop, very limited ammo (4), and a 6 second refire.
    Stock rockets are 1700 damage, med speed, dumfire, projectile drop, limited ammo (5), and a 5.5 refire
    G2G and G2A are 1500 damage, med speed, limited ammo (5), 5.5 refire, lock on (vs one target type) or dumbfire (projectile drop), lock on range 500m, and gives lock on warning.
    Annihilators are 1150 (IIRC) damage, high speed, limited ammo (5), 5.5 refire, lock on (vs air and ground), and give a lock on warning.

The rocket launchers have something like 1.25 zoom, though the dev and stock block so much of your vision with iron sights it doesnt help you at range (you will be unable to see wha you are shooting at anyway due to drop).when using lock on add 3 to 4 seconds to the refire (and annihilators can only use lock one).

guidance normaly comes at a reduction of dps, signifigantly even (G2G and G2A have a bit over half the dps as a stock launcher when using lock on, and the annihilator is close to 1/3), the AV launcher out damages every shoulder rocket right out the gate (~19% more than stock launcher), and can be certed to do so even more signifigantly (~48% at max level).

Honestly I was expecting something with numbers close to the Falcon (NC MAX AV gun) on a turret, with a faster fire rate but eventual overheat, or maybe something akin to the basilisk.
  16. Blackinvictus

EXACTLY!

Find a place you can put the thing up, get a shot off...die to INF or LA...I think it's totally balanced. Something nice to have in one of those "ideal" situations which are rare. All I have ever done is harassed the enemy with the thing. Way more certs and xp for repairing squad mates, handing out ammo etc. If the engineer is freely spamming that thing, use teamwork and go after him geez.

I was actually happy for the guy who killed me with one in my tank the other day because I know how much of a pain in the *** it is to set one up and actually kill something, lol.
  17. Hadrekson

I've died a couple of times to annihilators in my turret, and I also used my annihilator to lock onto enemy turrets, so it 100% can lock on. I'm fairly certain it is an instant kill if you are manning your turret and take an annihilator, as it was for me in the couple of times I got hit.

There's a pretty easy solution to avoid lock ons, which is to just replace your turret a few feet to the side after every shot, so that no one can get a lock on.

Really, the only change that should be made is:
    1. Make it cost infantry resources. This will give engineers reason to keep their turret alive, and will help prevent people from deploy -> shoot -> redeploy tactics. It will also make the engineer a little less mobile with their turrets.
    1a. OR, just give the thing a cooldown between placements. Maybe a 30 second timer between when you place a turret, and when you can drop another one. That way, lock ons can do their job and you can't just drop fire redrop.

They could also make the rocket dumbfire after 500m or so of flight time, to make sniping tanks a little more challenging, and actually giving tank drivers a chance to get away.
  18. Vadimir

Forgive me for being dense but I can't tell if you're trying to agree or disagree with me. If it's the former please skip to the last line in this paragraph but if it's the later I suggest you read my posts on the AV turret. You'll see that not only have I pointed out (in the very post you quoted) that it is indeed difficult to pull off long range shots but also the reason I love the turret is because it rewards skill and is, like you say, very satisfying to use. So basically I agree with everything you just wrote... in essence.

With that said, at the time I made the post you quoted I believed that it's range was a bit too much. Thus I suggested making the missile simply disappear after a set distance like some projectiles already do. However I must admit that the more I get used to the improved render distance on Miller the less convinced I become that it's range is actually an issue. At least in isolation anyway.

This would be completely unfair unless the HA's rocket launchers also cost resources because they are almost as powerful, far easier to use and a lot safer.

I like this idea and I can see it working the only trouble is that currently the turret, as I'm sure you know, shares it's CD with the ACE ammo pack. If you increased the turrets CD you'd have to separate the CD from the ACE ammo pack otherwise you'd severely hurt the engineers support capabilities but unfortunately that probably isn't possible because of the way the ACE ammo pack is currently implemented.

This actually wouldn't make as much of a difference as you think. If you're shooting over 500m your projectile won't render for the tank, so while it might make it ever so slightly harder to hit, the tank doesn't stand a chance of dodging it unless by luck because he won't see it coming. I still think that the issue with the projectile render distance is the biggest problem with the turret.
  19. Tanelorn

"This would be completely unfair unless the HA's rocket launchers also cost resources because they are almost as powerful, far easier to use and a lot safer."

HAs do not get infinite ammunition. The anti-vehicle turret is infinitely deployable, and has infinite ammunition. It is not equal to the heavy assaults AV.
  20. Vadimir

I never said it was "equal", so please don't put words in my mouth.

Oh and HA's do have infinite ammo because this isn't a solo game, it's a team game and any squad whose members aren't brain dead will have at least one engineer in it. Why do you think annihilator squads are so powerful? It's because they effectively have infinite ammo, are infinitely deployable, incredibly easy to use and, unlike the engineer, can hide behind the render distance.