AV Impact Grenade

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by SlugSniper, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SlugSniper

Okay, after embarrassingly posting this in the Light Assault section on accident, let's try this again...

I've suggested letting Engy use HA's AV Grenade before, but I want to put a slightly more unique spin on it.

Engy's version would have a shorter throwing distance but would explode on impact. Think of it as a futuristic version of the Russian RKG grenade.
  2. BrbImAFK

This is like the third thread you've suggested this idea now... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm just going to say here, what I said there:

The only real difference between this idea and the HA AV grenade is the duration. Since the engineers AV'nade would have to have a limited explosion radius (to avoid simply becoming the "old" AV grenade), you'd pretty much have to direcly hit the vehicle to do any significant damage. If you're hitting ANYway, the HA AV grenade would be sticking to the vehicle. That literally means that the only difference is the delay before the damage is applied. I have no strong feelings either way, but it would be massively easier to simply give engineers the current AV nade rather than create a whole new one.
  3. TR5L4Y3R

As a engymain personally i don't see the need for this ... engineers already have access to mines and c4 .. not to forget the av manaturret ... so why ANOTHER avmeasure?
  4. SlugSniper

To provide another option in case a player prefers a different setup. I'd like to run with the deployable cover once it graduates from the PTS to the actual game as well as the health regen pack or auxiliary shield while still having something to use against vehicles.
  5. SlugSniper

The slight difference with this grenade is mainly for playstyle. I'd like to be able to inflict instant damage to a vehicle at close range.
  6. TR5L4Y3R

Play HA then the engineer is meant to be a supportclass to be played from medium ranges and not up close
  7. SlugSniper

I'm well aware that it's a support class. I stick close to my team and do repairs and resupplies. If an enemy Harasser starts... well... harassing, I'd like to have a nasty surprise for him; something more adaptive than landmines. :cool:

I would take the HA's AV grenade if an Impact AV is too much to ask.
  8. BrbImAFK

If there's an enemy harasser annoying your dudes, and you can HIT him with a grenade, well.... all I can say is..... HE'S DOING IT WRONG! If he's that dumb, he's probably not a threat anyway!
  9. SlugSniper

Okay, here's a list of scenarios...
    - A cloaked ANT or Flash ramming your squad
    - An infantry and MAX attack on enemy Sunderers
    - Helping teammates deal with tanks that get uncomfortably close
    - MAX-slapping at close range
  10. BrbImAFK

You'd be better off laying a minefield to catch them or mass firing RL's than throwing a grenade or two.

If you're close enough to the sunderer that your "close range" grenade will be useful, you can probably just do it with AV mines or C4 just as easily. And if you aren't that close, between the AV MAX's and HA RL's, your grenades will probably add virtually nothing.

A tank that gets that close is a stupid tank. Again, AV mines and C4 are probably far more effective than grenades, and mass dumb-fire RL's will get easy hits if he's that close. So, once again, no real point to these grenades.

If the MAX is close enough to slap you, the grenade will damage you too, probably finishing you off since a single slap does like 750 damage. And once again, C4 is probably a better option. Unlike a grenade, properly used C4 is likely to actually kill the MAX, rather than just damaging it.

Overall, I'm sorry, but I just can't see any point to these grenades as you can almost always do something else that will have a better result.
    • Up x 2
  11. Eternaloptimist

It sticks to vehicles IIRC so, no immediate blast but if you plant it then it is going to hurt. I too would be happy enough with engie able to use AV nades. Medic, LA and HA all get two special nades already, so there is a precedent.
  12. DemonicTreerat

Same here. Heavies already have those annoying as hell concussion grenades (and lights get TWO types of flash-bangs plus smoke grenades). Sad part is that most don't seem to carry them and even fewer consider them important enough to get use a grenade bandolier over nanoweave or flight suit. Only fair that engineers get something and the option for AV grenades works just fine. Not only for vehicles but MAXes because anyone who has actually tried to use C4 on an awake MAX as an engineer knows that trying to plant the c4 is more likely to get you killed before you can detonate it. Having the option to chuck something that can actually HURT those SOBs without having to wait to switch weapons would be a godsend.