Auraxiuming weapons and completing directives

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pingonaut, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Pingonaut

I have played this game since it was in beta, though every year I usually have a few months where I go inactive for one reason or another. Despite this, I have yet to auraxium any weapons. Yes, I do have weapons that are a thousand or so kills away from being auraxiumed, but none even close so far. I'm at a point in my game where I have found what weapons I'm most comfortable with and I've stayed there for a while, switching every now and then.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a technique to auraxiuming specific weapons? I'm not extremely skilled at Planetside 2, but recently I've been going mostly lone wolf and keeping what is for me a high KD and kill count each session (usually around 100 kills for a 2 hour session, not superb but it's good for me).

Of course, if getting auraxium on a single weapon seems like a long way away, most directives are even further. I get to the final directive tier and just feel overwhelmed.

So basically I want to know: What's the best way to auraxium a weapon and complete directives in quick (less than snail's pace) fation?

I'm at a point where I'm basically where I want to be as far as class certs and weapons, so certifications and ranking up isn't a goal for me anymore. Auraxiuming weapons and completing directives has become what I'm working for, but I'm just a little bit overwhelmed. Any tips and suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
  2. The Funk

Well when it comes to the weapons I would just say adjust your play style to take advantage of each gun's strengths. Forcing a square peg into a round hole can be frustrating. Some are better for run and gun, others better for hanging back behind the lines and using range, adjust accordingly. Also if you're lone wolfing use base knowledge to pick fights that will fit well with what your using.

Regarding directives I guess it depends on which one your working towards. I got my medic armor simply by continuing to do what I've always done, being a medic. Only alterations I made were finding big fights in constricted places for the regen shield ribbons (pro-tip you can drop your shield in a big meat-grinder and completely redeploy to another fight with a different medic loadout and your shield will continue throwing xp at you) and finding the biggest open field fights I could for savior kills.

Remember for most lines you don't have to complete everything, just 5/6. For medic I omitted medic kills right away. For engineer I'm ignoring the anti-personnel turret.
  3. Pingonaut

Recently I've been focusing on the Hailstorm for the TR. I take an infiltrator, go behind enemy lines, and get a kill streak going (though most end around 7 kills).

As for directives, I'm really wanting the Force Recon and Explosives one completed, but they're very, very difficult for me. I get 2 or 3 of the objectives done, but the remaining ones are areas where I'm not experienced or comfortable in. More specifically, tank mines and vehicle destruction have been very difficult. I take down vehicles once and a while with C4 or tank mines, but never so many.
  4. Iridar51

There isn't a specific technique other than play a lot, get good and find good infantry fights. If the current fight requires you to pull AA / AV / different weapon, then it's time to look for another fight. Defending a biolab against even numbers is a good example, as vehicles are not a part of that, and unless enemy is super organized, there's no way they can take it, so you can relax and get kills.
    • Up x 1
  5. Whatupwidat

I've found picking one single carbine and just using that for Engineer and Light Assault helped me get at least the one Auraxium medal I have (Razor GD-23)

Granted I only have one, but given the OP and I seem to have similar playing histories I figured I'd toss 2p into the ring lol
    • Up x 1
  6. The Funk

Well playing infiltrator isn't going to get you to many vehicle kills ;). Haven't checked but I'm guessing infantry kills count for C4. If so use LA and drop C4 on choke point or bio-lab pile-ups. Personally I'll be ignoring tank mines as they tend to be hit or miss and rely a bit on luck.

As for smgs and force recon I'd work on just finding fights that maximize your kill opportunities. I see your kills per minute is .22. Raise this up and you'll see more progress. Keep your eye on the map and find big even or close to even numbered fights. When a hotspot dies down, hit "m" a find the next.
    • Up x 1
  7. lilleAllan

The technique is just sticking with your weapon and deploying at bases with a lot of kill opportunities.

Being an auraxium fiend is frustrating. Prior to directives I was content with my auraxiums. I was like, "yeah, now I have medals on the good weapons. I'll just stick to these and ignore the rest."

Then directives come out I'm stuck using the crappy Bandit and stupid MKV.

NO LIKE.
  8. Regpuppy

If you can maintain that average, then all it will take is sticking with the same weapon for 10-12 or so 2 hour play sessions, then immediately move on to the next one. If you don't have enough certs for a gun at the start of this journey, you'll definitely have enough by the end for the next gun, with leftovers.

What I'm guessing is that, up until now, you've been spreading your focus around. But once you start focusing on one weapon and using nothing but that weapon. You will notice your progress going up daily at a steady pace. Hell, you'll even start to like some guns more than you would think, after you learn how to use them.

What I personally did, was picked my 5 favorite that were either in my arsenal for some reason already or ones I tried extensively in VR. I then compared which ones were easiest/hardest to get kills consistently with. I auraxiumed the most difficult one first. After that, everything else felt silky smooth. Even weapons I otherwise had issues with. You also tend to learn a few things along the way and even appreciate some of the difficult weapons.

Overall, it's slow and gradual but there's no race to get them. They're long term goals. Only the most active are going to get multiple directives in a decent time frame, but even the most casual players will be able to get 1-2 in each category, as long as they focus and play to their strengths.
    • Up x 1
  9. Copasetic

Sounds like instead of grinding a number for days at a time you've been playing the game properly. You should probably stop doing that.
  10. Pingonaut

I don't think there's anything wrong with either play style. I grind when I want, as long as I'm enjoying the game it doesn't matter. It's good to work hard for goals.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This thread has been very helpful for me!
  11. NinjaTurtle

100 kills over 2 hours is good, just under a kill a minute is not shabby at all. That is on par with me and I have 16 auraxiums and 57 kills away from the MKV auraxium.

I purposefully go for auraxium medals, since long before the directive system. I normally work on 2 at a time. I normally pick a CQC and a mid - long to work on so that regardless of situation I can pull at least one and be effective.
    • Up x 1
  12. Pingonaut

I had another question: For my medic directives I looked at my "Enemy medic kills" and I started off with 0. No medic kills as a medic has ever been registered for my player. I've been playing for a long time, and I can assure you that I have gotten a lot of medic on medic kills, so what can I do about it?

Also for explosives, I'm very often getting multikills for grenades and explosives but they never register! I don't understand what's going on.