[Suggestion] ATV

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpartanZero, May 16, 2013.

1. SpartanZero

Fix the handling on the ATV, the turning rate is abysmal even with the unlocks. ATV should have similar handling/turning that the harasser does. Not exactly the same, but closer to it.

Free look for ATV, I understand the current look restriction required for the weapon mounts. Enable a Free look ability while forcing a fixed forward firing when not zoomed, and limited viewing arc while zoomed for pinpoint firing.
    • Up x 1
  2. theholeyone

Speaking of which, why does the atv even have horizontal movement in its guns? Vertical I can understand but its the horizontal aiming that has brought the fury nerf about. Should just remove that and allow free look in the horizontal plane.

Also, is the turn rate worse than the harrasser? I hadn't noticed that.
  3. KAHR-Alpha

Do you use your handbrake?
  4. CrimsonDaemon

I like the ATV ok, the only thing that bothers me is that at weird moments, it suddenly feels like I am on ice and nowhere near Esamir. If I could have any upgrade in the world for the flash, it would be better grip tires.
  5. SpartanZero

Yes I do use the handbrake when I need to make a quick turn, which usually results in 50% spinouts.

That isn't the issue I'm bringing up, it's simply turn handling/radius during both driver and from a dead stop, it's abysmal. Do the comparison, it could very well be the harasser's stock acceleration being greater than the ATV that makes the 0 to 60 turning radius tighter than the ATVs. Which boils down to a power to weight ratio (not to say there is weight in this game, but simply performance data) of which again.. the ATV should have a comparable stock handling to the Harasser.
  6. QuakerOatsMan

The harasser actually uses a different coding etc. for its handling mechanics I think. At least that's what the vehicle designer/physics guy Chris (I think that was his name) said in last week's FNO stream. He also said they were planning to update the flash later on by replacing its current mechanics with that of the harasser's sometime later, if I recall. (If you watch, he'll also explain why it's hard to deal with the "icy surfaces," and other stuff. He also says there are plans to allow flashes to adjust their orientation in midair to prevent crash landings, lol).
    It is true though that the harasser far outperforms the flash in pretty much everything related to maneuverability and handling though (speed at stock is about as fast or faster than a fully certed racer chassis flash, handling may be "too good" or even oversensitive, etc).
    • Up x 2
  7. Teegeeack

New upcoming weapons for the flash is what's brought the fury nerf about.
  8. PieBringer

You seem to never have driven a flash... Or are just sick of being killed by them.

From my experience, the Flash is easily the most difficult to handle ground vehicle in the game. It's limited turning on it's weapon makes it difficult enough as it is, it would be nearly impossible to do it if it's horizontal aim were locked to the center. (Or worse, locked to the center and offset to the side.)
  9. smokemaker

ATV's
    Ideally should have the best all around view of the world when using them, but it seems I can not turn my head more then 30 Degrees to either side.... WTF.
  10. Zorro

In addition, they should be faster than buggies. ATV's are light cavalry as opposed to heavy cavalry, and it only fair that they receive a mobility buff.
    • Up x 1
  11. theholeyone

Yeh you're likely right. Good old SOE's 'sidegrades until we need to sell more of something or have something new to sell' balancing strategy at work.
  12. theholeyone

Third option, I can actually drive a flash. It's not that hard, just factor in they don't have grip all the time and drive accordingly. If you keep spinning out then you're probably getting on the throttle too early.
  13. SpartanZero

Well that makes sense then, as well my observations justified. As for the potential changes to come for the ATV, excellent, this is what I like to hear!
  14. SpartanZero

Still not enjoying the ATVs handling. Doesn't feel like it's improved, feels worse, an constantly flips from small bumps on roads for no reason whatsoever. It'd be awesome if I could flip the ATV back onto it's wheels like you could a warthog in Halo.
    • Up x 1
  15. TheBloodEagle

Is yours upgraded? or you basing that on uncerted version?
  16. Fangry

not an ATV, but a ROD, Roll Over and Die
    I have hundreds off certs put into flash and all it takes to roll over is a small rock and at flat ground the speed is just a joke
    a light tank driving at same speed or faster....
  17. SpartanZero

No I'm basing it on both. I have certed into surger/scrapper. As well I've played with fully certed ATVs they may have their trademark points fine tuned, but they still handle just as crappy as the stock bump an dump, roll over an die aspect of the ATV that makes the handling (regardless of which racer/surger/scrapper) so absurd.