[Attention!] Cortium Bomb is the most extreme construction counter I've experienced

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, May 27, 2020.

1. karlooo

The OS was one thing but at least you could build around it if someone had a complete base. Occasionally there appeared some filthy abuser trying to take out PMB's by spamming it but that didn't happen often.

The Cortium Bomb has 0 counter...There is absolutely nothing I can do to stop the spam.
    For example I recently built a complete base with no flaws, no cover for enemies, nice open base with Anti-Infantry turret defending the only entrance and Sunderer Garage, Spitfire Auto-Turret on top of the Sunderer Garage, Pain Spire inside and all that stuff.....
    One light Assault took out my base in a minute lol.
    Basically just park/deploy a Sunderer next to the PMB and just fly over the wall and place the bomb and repeat.

I was only able to spawn cause I placed the Router on top of the Infantry Tower before I left and I could have fought back by taking out a tank from the vehicle terminal I had inside but I just didn't even bother.
    The enemy can just repeat the same attack instantly for very little cost.

Please do something about this.
    Btw that's not rly a Light Assault if he can carry such a heavy explosive.
    • Up x 2
  2. TRspy007

the bomb can't even kill anything. Asides from maybe damaged modules it's placed right next to. There's even a thread about how useless it is against construction.

The bomb flashes, makes noise, takes 20 second to blow up, cannot be placed if there is anything above it and takes about 3 rounds from a primary to destroy. Can only carry one that must be restocked.

If your base was so great, I fail to see how the dude was able to hold still to plant his bombs without getting shredded, much less how the guy managed to safely park his sunderer there.

Your counters is either kill the dude (AI turrets, pain spires, your weapons), kill his spawn or just shoot at the bomb before the 20 seconds. If bombs are really a problem for you, build your base under some sort of natural cover; the deployeables are like beacons, they cannot be placed if something is directly above.
    • Up x 1
  3. TrojonKing 1st

"the bomb can't even kill anything". Hmm I think I died by one of them last night holding point with about 20 others in the same room. I think someone must have placed one on the outside wall of the room we were in. It did a good job on thinning us down.
    • Up x 1
  4. Trebb

People should just /report and open a ticket when people abuse geometry like that and blow you up through walls / spawn shields. It worked when Bastion was doing it (people got suspended). I reported someone yesterday but was too lazy to follow up on the website, so nothing will be done there :p
    • Up x 1
  5. TRspy007

*it doesn't kill construction items * was what I was referring to

It does go through walls and gets a few unlucky kills (mostly teamamtes), pretty memey lol
    • Up x 2
  6. TRspy007

I'm not sure if the bomb going through walls wasn't intended. The bomb goes through walls, but not roofs. I think it was meant to go through construction walls and the spawn tube, but DBG just made their usual lazy implementation.

It's very situational, but I do see how this could be considered exploiting (especially through spawns). Although we've got no word whether this was intended or not :(
  7. Trebb

I was in a bio lab spawnroom yesterday, and was killed by a cortium bomb on the OUTSIDE rim of the bio lab. So through a wall, through the 6 foot space to the biolab spawn room, and through the spawn room shields. Similar to Bastion bombs before they fixed it.
    • Up x 1
  8. Quimcity

Well I'm not sure how he would do it that quickly. I have been playing with the cortium bomb recently and it takes about 3 or 4 to take out a silo. But usually before you can get to a silo you have to take out AP turrets, spitfires and painfields first. You have to wait 20 secs before the Bomb blows, ample time for any defenders to spot it and take it out. Even if there are no defenders close by you have to wait 20 secs for each one to blow then respawn & get from the spawn to your target and repeat. It's also not always possible to place the Bomb where it would do the most damage and not at all if there are trees, rocks etc.... above.
    If I had a closeby spawn and nothing protecting the silo I still reckon it would take 3 minutes to take out the silo, longer if there are multiple repair modules in range of silo. One clued up defender and it's rare I could take it out on my own.

I get lots of hate tells from the owners of the base telling me to F' Off etc.. But most of them are just building bases way back from the frontline and of little use to the overall fight apart from maybe the Router and also vehicle spawns that don't use nanites to buy.
    Very often they have built in an OS capability which is going to be totally unused for the whole duration but just serves to make it stand out on the map for any wouldbe attackers.

If you are going to build a base it should be for the benefit of your faction to help in the fight. Not some solo Minefcraft style building project that keeps you away from the fight. If you spend ages building a base you need to be ready to defend it.
    • Up x 2
  9. Liewec123

i don't actually feel it is an exploit, but working as intended, its designed to take out construction in a wide(ish) area,
    so i think they've designed it to go through obstacles,
    otherwise if you put it next to lets say a construction turret, then the stuff behind the turret would be safe.
    so i feel like it is supposed to do damage in an area, regardless of line of sight,
    so people sticking em outside buildings is just working as intended.
    atleast IMHO.

besides, these things beep, they glow, they take 20 seconds to go off and anyone can just shoot em with a few bullets to stop it,
    compared with stuff like orbitals and bast@rdions, these bombs are very low down on the annoyance list!
    • Up x 3
  10. RabidIBM

I have to say, as a builder, I feel resented by the devs. Building gets so little attention, despite needing it. Then when we do get attention, it was to add another hard counter to construction. Was construction OP? I don't think so, why did it need more counters? If you compare the player time required to build and maintain a base to the player time required to kill it without specific counter play, killing it is far more efficient than building it. Further to that, aspects of construction keep getting added to other parts of the game. "Let's add a new sky shield, but one that doesn't require construction play" "let's add a way to use orbital strikes that doesn't require construction" "lets add the big defensive bubble, so players can fortify ground, but without construction" "lets add a way to right click and make a constructed base disappear without any counter play at all" and then, like you said "lets add cortium bombs".

The one about right clicking to make a base disappear is a reference to outfit asset OS being used on my silo after I repel a squad or platoon from it. "I know I lost, but I get to press the I win button anyways".
    • Up x 3
  11. Crayv

I speculate that the reason it doesn't go through floors is specifically so LAs can't just put them on roofs to exploit this. So I think the devs know it goes through walls and have taken measures to reduce the abuse.
    • Up x 2
  12. TRspy007

13. then00b

Many other deployables in game have a cool down timer, the bombs don't? That seems a tad odd.
  14. karlooo

I like Implants cause you can shape you way you want to play but these tactical deployables are too much and should come with more restrictions.
    A light assault with a Cortium Bomb cannot be called a Light Assault anymore. Same with the infiltrator.

Also having no cooldown on these items makes them easy to spam. These items should be used to just support.
    I'm ok with a Cortium Bomb to breach the walls or insides but the player shouldn't be able to decimate a whole PMB by himself. The bomb should come with a 1.6 min CD as an example.
  15. Crayv

I currently don't have a problem with them but If they reworked them to where they did less damage but had a large EMP like effect that disabled modules and/or increased the damage structures took, I would be okay with that.
    • Up x 1
  16. karlooo

O wow, that's actually a much better idea than mine. So any structure hit by the blast will lose their abilities, as an example if the Vehicle Gateshield would get impacted by the blast it loses its shield for a couple of seconds.
    The EMP effect would be useful in the real objective too, I just don't know what should be the rules for it.
    • Up x 2
  17. nagibator

you have enough time to repair your silo. the only pne should nerf is damage through walls. 1 or 2 bomb blow all modules include pain inside your garage
  18. JibbaJabba

Yeah. I'm generally done with construction I care about until they fix this.

I pulled a stalker infil the other day with a buddy prior to my own outfit ops. Thought...ok, how many enemy router bases can we take out before we get started.

All of them.

Construction is broken. A pair of stalker infils can drop a painspire in like 1.5 clips each. That's the only mitigation to them and once complete they can take the base offline in minutes regardless of size. The counter to this has been to place the painspire inside a sundy garage.

Now that can be undone in exactly 30 seconds. The painspire doesn't even damage the cortium bomb.

Having a gameplay mechanic where one player can undo an hour of work by another player in mere seconds is just stupid.
    • Up x 1
  19. KingSnuggler

one solo player shouldnt be running an entire base by themselves either bases are supposed to be MANNED not 1 person, build with other players like your supposed to, Ive asked plenty in my faction to start groups or platoons making 1 giant base as a faction effort , I get silence then you drive around and see all the solo bases , they deserve to be destroyed, work together. Noone ever mentions the other actual problems of the game, cheaters, broken harassers, and c4 , every one is so worry about spam like raise the cost of harassers and reduce the hits to kill them and remove the back seat. Base building should be a group faction effort , and a group effort to defend said base and patrol and find the bombs it has a sound :p