AT MINES got nerfed???

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by snu, Dec 6, 2012.

1. snu

when did this happen??

Now they drop one at a time and have a placement icon on the floor much like the dropped ammo supply.

when did this happen? and why was it un-announced?

Now i cannot place mines on hills because it is "uneven terrain", and 90% of bottlenecks in this game are uphill.

i dont have a problem with the nerf, they were much better than c4 anyways, but please let me place mines on the ground where i please.
  2. flipmoomonkey

It also appears that you cannot place the mines within about a metre or so of another mine that is already placed, you just get the red placement symbol, shouldn't really make too much of a difference but no more piling them on top of each other.
  3. snu

wow, so now people are just going to be running over a single mine, repairing, and then running over the second mine.. then repairing...

welp, there goes my 4 mines i worked so hard to get -.-
  4. snu

oh and i also noticed that after placing a mine, it auto-switches to your primary weapon....
  5. BadLlama

Unless they are going like 4 KPH anyone running into a mine wont be able to stop in time to not hit the second one.

Also Yes it did get stealth nerfed.
  6. Snarkyfoo

It has a purpose. It's to prevent the dropping of mines onto vehicles. That's been quite a problem recently.
    • Up x 1
  7. Unit1126PLL

Why is this a problem? Putting AT mines against the hull of vehicles during a close-assault has been a useful tactic since ... well, since AT mines were invented.
    • Up x 5
  8. snu

been testing the mines further and......

if i have placed a mine, and it exploded, i cannot place mines in that spot anymore. that is right, you cannot mine the same spot twice....

is this intended?
  9. flipmoomonkey

Yeah I really don't think it's going to be too much of a problem really, momentum will do the job vast majority of the time and there's probably a good chance they'll both go off when one does anyway due to the proximity, woodman went down before i had a proper chance to play with them unfortunately. If it comes to it you could probably just place them side by side on narrow roads as the vehicles that actually need more than 1 mine to kill are more than 1 metre wide anyway.

The biggest problem is definitely the inability to place them on slopes. I just wish they'd given the placement ghost to the claymores instead and left the mines with the auto switch to weapon after placing one. That way you'd still be unable to place 2 mines under a sundy before you got blown to hell, which if we're honest was the real reason for the change and probably fair to make C4 more attractive (although i loved being a crazy bomb-laden sunderer-bane running through fire and brimstone to reach my target) but wouldn't cause issues with trying to place AT mines in the field.

Personally I'd like it if they either reduced the Cert cost on the second C4 cert or increased the number you get for the cert similar to how you get 2 AT mines for the first, I don't think it would be too wild to get 2 extra C4 on the second Cert that currently costs 500.
  10. Funzo

That was the only way to make the resource cost worthwhile.
    If you don't kill in one try, you likely don't get a second, and you don't get any exp. You also don't get the message that you killed something, which was the only means to know if your mines were detonated, which told you that you could place more without wasting the 75 resources from your previously placed mine.
    75 resources each for a non-lethal, non-exp giving "if, maybe and possibly" weapon? Not sure I'll be resupplying those much any more.
  11. Emperor

Ridiculous nerf. AT mines were useful as they were, and their effectiveness made mine guard a valid certification.
    • Up x 2
  12. Phichi

And the tank zerg moves on with even less to worry about.
  13. Kaoschan

Ok the 1m minimum range is not so important but what buggs the most.

If you place one, the game auto-swaps back to your maingun (annoying!) AND you can't place them on hill-slops ... only on flat surfaces. (this is the worst) Becasue tanks and so CAN and WILL driver over slops and can completly evade AT-Mines
    • Up x 2
  14. RoninTR

I agree to some part with the changes but still, the problem with "uneven ground" is frustrating as hell, mainly since mine placement is a very delicate procedure. Just throwing out your mines at random won't do anyone any good (exept enemy vehichels but who likes those guys?)
    Also, by restricing areas where mines can be deployed, you will soon find "mine-free" paths and be completley safe from mines if you just "stay on the slope" it's seriously limiting the mines use and got to go!

About the placing of mines underneath/ on, tanks and vehicles, it is really stupid to take that away from mines, this was pretty much the biggest reason to use them. They were good at it yes, but not owerpowered in any way. It gave engineers a chance against armour. And to all those complaining about it's effeciveness, that it's frustrating to sit in your max health vanguard and think you are the boss only to be blown up by a lonley hard-working engineer with AT-mines. Move your vehicle!
    AT-Mines in offensive use, was only a real threat to vehicles that stood still. Trying to place mines at a moving lightning tank was not the easiest thing to do. And deployed sundys are already way to common and pretty much litter the battlefield so to give a easier way to take them out can only help to smooth out the balance!
    Anyhow enough said, maybe i'm just sad that my favourite weapon lost around 50% of it's usage, i knew going in that the game would change and now it has.
    //Ronin
    • Up x 3
  15. Ryekir

I agree, this is really annoying, and that also applies to all of the other deployable objects (i.e. ammo packs). I hope they fix those bugs soon.

I am curious though if you can still place them on the roof of a Sunderer, since that's a flat surface.
  16. Purple

makes you wonder what else changed. it wouldn't kill them to give us patch notes.
  17. Kaoschan

Go ask the Twitter accounts .. perhaps someone will create a proper changelog
  18. Radian12

Bet next they are going nerf proximity mines so you cannot place them on stairs . And will requiere a flat surface .
  19. Ryekir

I'm assuming that this was mostly about taking out enemy Sunderers, as that was actually entirely too easy (even though I had a LOT of fun doing this). All you had to do was run right up to it, drop your two mines and run like hell and hope to escape the blast. Sure, you died doing this most of the time, but you also just denied the enemy their spawn point and killed anyone that was standing near it (I've gotten 20+ kills in one go doing this). The only way to counter that is to kill the engineer before he/she can drop the mines (which in the middle of a huge firefight can be quite difficult), there was zero margin for error.
    • Up x 1
  20. Compass

Solution - Procure C4. Apply C4.