Assign a button to retract landing gear on aircraft

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodo123, May 28, 2015.

1. prodo123

Far too many times I've crashed because my Reaver's landing gears got caught in a tree.
    Since auto-landing gear has long been broken, can we just make it manually controllable?
  2. Alkaid1

Fly Scythe ;-);)
  3. Leftconsin

Stop trying to land in trees.
  4. prodo123

Can't help it when it spawns in midair with the gears down and it doesn't go back up
  5. Xiad

I've never had that problem. In the meantime, whilst the devs do nothing about it, avoid spawning at those bases.
  6. Yuki10

Why dont you try flying a reaver then? I've had this happen WAY too many times when doing close fly-by's trying to avoid lock-ons .

There are a few known issues with reaver at the moment, but they don't always happen and most pilots just got used to living with these bugs since there are much worse ones in the game

1) landing gear not retracting
    2) reaver frame dimensions larger than visual model
    3) walking/running alongside landed reaver (when repairing for example) results in instant death (i've had videos of that posted long time ago and had this happen just yesterday as well)

At this point it is assumed that DBG either does't know how to fix some of them or has them too far down on priority list. Considering how many worse bugs are in the game, i'm not suprised they haven't addressed reaver issues.
  7. Xiad

That was a rather damning way of saying "thanks but no thanks". Is it that hard to believe that I've flown a Reaver? Also, the whole close fly-by to avoid lockons thing sounds like more of a problem than the glitch. Since G2AMs/A2AMs predict movement, you don't need sudden turns around terrain unless it's already up your exhaust (at which point, you are already boned, normally). Reconsider your tactics if you keep eating cliff-edge.

In terms of the other issues about, the width of the model always catches me off-guard, because it is so much larger than the Scythe I'm used to. The thing about it being low down on dev priorities is probably right, too.
  8. zaspacer

I can help with this until it is fixed/changed. There is a current "workaround" to get your Landing Gear up.

Land. Then take off again, and as you're taking off, roll to one side about 90 degrees, then back. This roll will usually trigger the Landing Great to retract if it is sticking.
  9. Czarinov

Never ever seen such bug. There is a bug that your gear DOESN'T retract after taking off though. A fix is very simple - land and take off again. Besides I think lowered gear bug is only visual.
  10. prodo123

Strange, a couple different people have reported the same issue as me. I think you're not noticing it, because it happens at least 40% of the time for me, and quite randomly too. DBG has not even approached the topic seriously because the devs cannot reliably reproduce this issue. Clearly, however, it impedes a pretty significant number of people's ability to fly. Really, just binding the gears to a key will resolve all problems associated with them, addressing a risky bug that randomly occurs and always incurs doubt and worry, while those who don't think much of the bug (i.e. you) will not have to adjust much to the change.

Landing gears are solid objects. That's why your ESF can land on top of them. If they were "only visual" and purely cosmetic, they would clip through the ground and your ESF would lie on its belly. Also, the gears do not act like ground vehicle wheels (Sundy wheels are bouncy!) in that they are completely rigid, which is really really stupid considering these are landing gears. If one gear hits the slightest bump, it would be as if your entire aircraft hit the bump. If it catches on something like 1px thick solid tree branch, it would be as if you plowed nose first into the tree. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself if you get a chance.

Someone in one of my links said that the landing gears might affect the aerodynamics and handling of the ESF. As the bug isn't reliably reproducible, I think this is just speculation.

My playstyle is rapid troop and asset relocation (not just redeployside, includes quick response vehicle team). If there's 1:30 left on the clock, and for me that's the usual, or chasing an infantry zerg farm, you don't have time to land. Anti-air forces me to fly low and fast, and if the gears are down you bet I'll sometimes plow nose first into the ground because the gears hit a rock.
  11. Czarinov

A video would be nice of course. Very easy to discuss it then. Best video would be when your gear suddenly lowers during midflight.

I am very conscious of my ESF gear, it enrages me when it doesn't retract itself after take-off. This bug has been a long time. It NEVER happened to me, that my gear would spawn midair.

They are solid objects, however when I flew with bugged gear, I could fly near the ground without crashing, it would clip through. I think it was like this, didn't test it many times. Also I sometimes would land on an ammo pad and my gear would clip but stay inside the ammo pad (at which point I'm stucked).

I do.

It is speculation.

Yep, a video would be great, even greater if lowered gear is a risk.