[Suggestion] Assault Rifle change?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rovertoo, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Rovertoo

Everyone knows that Assault Rifles are most likely the most powerful weapons in the game. They don't receive much attention because they're only on one class, but that's understandable.

However, I've always thought it odd that a support class, even a Combat support class, had access to arguably the most powerful weapons in the game. Now I'm not really calling this for any kind of nerf at all, but instead to make the Medics combat capabilities more support-like.

Some time ago, people wanted to give VS their own 'weird' damage tier that wouldn't increase TTK but could potentially increase the odds of getting a kill against low health enemies. Damage values like 130, 150, 170. I never liked the idea because it seemed mathematically flawed to have a weapon that's damage value only came into play when the target had been damaged by another weapon.

Which brings me to my suggestion. Following the theme of letting the Medic be a combat support class, I think that their weapons should reflect this. Giving the Assault rifles these stranger tiers of damage could make their guns a kind of 'bridge' between damage tiers, and just add another element of support with even their weapons.

The issue with this change however is that I don't think adding an extra 25 damage or whatever we decide to the already formidable Assault rifles is a good idea. So I think the damage of Assault rifles would need to be dropped down half a damage tier. The problem with that of course is that it's kind of a very big, violent balance change that I don't think is welcome or needed.
  2. Sossen

So what do you want changed? You just said that your suggestion is neither welcome or needed.
    • Up x 1
  3. Rovertoo

Well, as a suggestion I really only wanted to see Medic weapons have this extra depth as a support weapon. My only problem with it is that it would
    A) Be a buff to Assault rifles, which they don't really need

or

B) Be a very large nerf, which I also don't think they need.

I'd like to see the change happen, but in order to do it without dropping every assault rifle down a whole damage tier, I think the Assault rifle would need some other, less drastic nerf to compromise for the extra half damage tier. So as far as suggestions go I'd love to hear some ideas on how to solve that issue.
  4. Fellgnome

Maybe just buff carbines :D
    • Up x 1
  5. Sossen

I think that Medic is the most balanced class in the game. I have heard very few calls for Medic buffs and Medic nerfs ever since some assault rifles were rebalanced a long time ago. The only real changes to the class the past year have been the addition of an extra assault rifle per faction and the addition of the very well-designed shield generator, which indicates that the SOE team pretty much like this class the way it is.

As for the "assault rifles for other classes/assault rifles are too good/assault rifles on medics make no sense" threads, I think they have been met with pretty much the same point every time:

Each support class has some combat advantage that has nothing to do with being "support". Engineers have turrets, infinite ammo and extensive utility options, infiltrators have invisibility and sniper rifles, and medics have infinite selfhealing (as an option) and the versatile assault rifles. It would make no sense to have a class in this game that had no special combat ability, since that class would be heavily underpopulated. It's simply not fun to be support only in such a hectic game.

Besides, the main advantage of assault rifles is being good at all ranges. Carbines are better than assault rifles within 10 meters and at least equal up to about 20ish meters, which is the typical range for most engagements anyway.
  6. Rovertoo

Here's an idea. We can trade Assault rifles with Carbines on the LA (they are an Assault class after all), and then buff the carbines to have the 'support tier' damage-and-a-half models, that way both support classes have the damage models that excel in situations with other weapons around.
  7. Rovertoo

Not exactly meaning this to be a balance idea as much as making the support classes weapons have another layer of depth. If we gave support classes weapons with damage models that are odd, like 185, 150, 130, then it could add another layer of use to their guns. Those tiers have been suggested before, but since they only reach their full potential when the target has been damaged by other weapons, it made sense to me to have the support classes have the guns that make the most out of taking part in damaging an enemy. The only reason I made it sound like a balance thread is because I don't think the already powerful Assault Rifles need the extra half-tier buff, but I like the idea nonetheless.
  8. Mitheledh

Yes! Let's nerf the medic!
  9. FateJH

technically, this would be nerfing "Combat."
    "Medic" would be unchanged.
  10. Mitheledh

Semantics. Regardless, the class would be nerfed by this idea.
    • Up x 1
  11. Mitheledh

I just want to add this to this thread.

One of the reasons I enjoy playing a combat medic in PS2 is because I am not treated like a priest in WoW or some other MMO. I'm not relegated to the back row, cowering behind the tank as I cast my healing spells, praying I don't catch the attention of some mob. In PS2 I am able to be on the front line and hold my own. When the person beside me goes down, I can stop to pick them up. I am able to do so not because of my utility, like the engineers with their mines and turrets. Not because of an ability to sneak around like infiltrators with their cloaking. Nor is it because of any ability to get into odd places or take back entrances like light assaults with their jetpacks. No, the reason I am able to do so is solely because I carry a good gun that is equal to the task. You take the gun away or nerf it's damage across the board, you diminish a medic's ability to stay on the front line, pushing them towards the back.