Asking joystick using pilots...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by faykid, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Jawarisin

Say that out loud one time. Imagine when you still had trouble even figuring it out. Imagine someone telling you that to try to explain how it works hahaha. Sounds simple once you understand it, but it sounds awfully complicated otherwise.

I'm personally in the "use default gun" to start with (though I prefer rotaries). And the reason the NC rotary seem so strong is because most of the players who use it are quite good because it's such a hard weapon to use (I'm still learning). So it gives that feeling, but the result most likely would of been the same against a mustang.
  2. Ballto21

Fair point.

And the starters are very good and i enjoy them in my limited skill level very much, but the higher muzzle velocity and almost twice the shots with only a slightly larger cof (can actually be better in my opinion than the pinpoint since if youre off center you might still hit as long as theyre in the circle)

I also think it has a higher ROF which helps dps a bit.
  3. Shadowofsteel

I know I'm probably going to shock a lot of people with this, but I personally play the game using a trackball for my mouse, and I find it makes aircraft quite responsive for me, though I've had a lot of practice using trackballs before i even started playing Planetside. The only issue I really have with it at all is the occasional jerking from involuntary motions, which can be corrected rather quickly once you get used to it.

Maybe it's something to consider, but I'd recommend getting used to using a trackball before trying to play an fps heavily with one.

Opinions people?
  4. x7xBillyDaKidx7x

Ive had pretty good luck with logitech extreme 3D pro. All buttons bind ,and is ok . Settings are a bit twitchy and some times a little hard to get on target but for most part is ok !! Accuracy with mouse is still better for DPI settings and such !!! Best pilots use mouse and keyboard, but just doesnt feel right to me. But so far it best joystick for game that i have found. Only 40 bucks !!
  5. Thurwell

I don't know why people keep saying you can't use a joystick or you can't bind yaw or pitch or whatever to it. It works fine, and for any keys that won't bind you can use a program like joy2key. You're best off with a joystick that lets you adjust the response curve because the tools to do that in planetside don't exist.

I've spent quite a bit of time flying with a game pad. Your accuracy suffers vs a mouse player, same as it would on the ground of course.

I'm not saying I recommend flying with a joystick, I switched to a mouse myself, but it is possible.
  6. entrailsgalore

I'm sure you physically and literally can use a Stick with the aid of 3rd party software, but it still won't function correctly, at least according to flight sim control standards. Accuracy and response times can't be adjusted.
  7. Thurwell

That's what I meant by response curves. I found a program (don't have it any more) someone wrote that mapped the real joysticks to virtual ones so you can adjust the curve. Planetside by default sucks, it does nothing up to about 30% movement and then goes to full at less than 50%. But by adjusting that program and mapping the virtual joystick to the planetside controls I got the joystick to work properly. But when I say joystick I mean gamepad, and those thumb sticks are too small to be very accurate no matter what you do with the software.
  8. Ronin Oni

If you do want to learn, I can tell you binding vertical pitch to a couple keys/buttons (I like Fwd/Back thumb buttons on the mouse) is key to doing flip maneuvers, and use vertical thrust (Space and 'C') a lot. Practice in VR. A lot.

It's really a lot of fun IMO, and completely unique.