AS16 Nighthawk Vs. LC2 Lynx

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by NoctD, Dec 6, 2012.

1. NoctD

Can't decide if I should try Slug Ammo and put a scope on the AS16 Nighthawk or continue using the LC2 Lynx and probably get the forward grip next. How do these 2 compare in the end?...

AS16 Nighthawk + Slug Ammo + Extended Mag
    LC2 Lynx + Soft Point Ammo + Forward Grip

I don't really hipfire much, and use these guns on the Engineer too. Is it worthwhile giving the AS16 a shot? For short-mid range like shooting from door to door of a room, or say from the top platform overlooking the 2 little back doors of a tech plant, to give you an idea of encounter distance.

A bit torn with scopes for the AS16 - I run IRNV and 3.4x red dot on the LC2 Lynx.
  2. Kyouki

This becomes entirely based on play style. I prefer versatility so I always pick the carbine over the shotgun. I hear good things about slug shotguns in every fps so I suppose it can be used at longer ranges.
  3. gunshooter

Jaguar > both

also if you're using a forward grip on an advanced laser weapon and you don't hipfire much, why don't you use a weapon that actually synergizes with your playstyle, rather than one which has no reason to ever be used other than for the advanced laser?

Seriously 3.4 scope on a Lynx?? It has the worst recoil in the game, nearly the lowest bullet velocity, some of the harshest dropoff...

You could swap from your lynx to ANYTHING and it would be a huge upgrade for the way you're playing
  4. Conq

Well I don't use a 3.4 on a Lynx but I do wield it like a rifle with a forward grip, I have the 1k kill medal and a 2.2 KDR on that setup. The Lynx is a funny weapon, they gave it an advanced laser but built it around aiming down it's sights. Did you know you can strafe at hip fire speed while zoomed in? Most people don't but that mobility gives you a great advantage when facing off at range. The Jag has the same perk, looking forward to forward gripping it as well.

Back to the OP, slugs haven't been worth while since beta. The drop and velocity is bad, you will only kill people who are standing still and it'll take your whole extended mag clip to kill someone up in your face. Shotguns are cool but you just have to be realistic, carbines offer much greater utility.
  5. Wolfwood82

I agree. If you are looking for versatility with decent accuracy at medium range then yeah either a shotgun with slug ammo or invest in a Trac-5 S with an underbarrel grenade or smoke launcher.

One of my loadouts uses a Trac-5 S with the underbarrel smoke launcher and an IR/NS scope which comes in extremely handy both a night and when facing infiltrators, never mind when firing through the smoke. Best of all I don't sacrifice my normal grenade power to get smoke power.

Now I understand you like the fast fire rate of the Lynx, I loved it when I used it. But a high rate of fire is the worst thing you can go for when trying to pick out a weapon you plan to use at range. Basically, from what I've seen, the Lynx is best used with hip fire with an advanced laser attachment and at close ranges. I believe from what I've heard that the Nighthawk with slug ammo will out perform the Lynx at medium ranges. Though I've yet to get slug ammo.
  6. gunshooter

They didn't build it around aiming down its sights, it just happens to have a movement speed bonus when aiming. So does the Orion. Doesn't mean much at all.

What matters is that the weapon has massive rightwards recoil, the single worst recoil of any weapon in the game (it's been datamined.) It also has VERY slow bullet velocity and more drop compared to other carbines like the stock Trac 5 and T5 AMC. Using it as an ADS weapon is suboptimal, period, especially moving around when firing at someone at range when movement increases your cone dramatically and you're already using a very inaccurate long range weapon with awful recoil and slow bullets.
  7. Conq

Heh, then why do I do so well with it at range? Am I some kind of super human, will I have aim bot skill if I switch to a Trac-5 S? No, I've tired them all extensively. Quoting statistics means nothing, in game experience is what really matters and the Lynx has proven itself to me, time and time again.

I can miss some and do less damage at range, I've got more than enough bullets in my clip. What matters is THEY miss me more and that happens a lot with Lynx mobility. To each their own but it sounds like you spend more time in a Google doc than on the battlefield.
  8. gunshooter

Hey if gimping yourself on purpose is what you're looking for, then by all means. I'm just explaining to you what you're doing to yourself and it seems like you don't have a counterargument ;)

I'd love to see you trying to kill someone at 65m with the Lynx. Maybe if it's a BR1 Light Assault who just dropped in standing still for you, you could do it in less than 5 seconds.
  9. NoctD

I don't find it hard to compensate for recoil? Which is probably why I haven't seen anything in the Lynx to stop me from it but it sounds like the forward grip is indeed worthwhile then. Again I think the engagement distances are more short-mid vs. medium-long... 65m seems more like infiltrator/heavy assault time.

Will try the AS16 someday when I have certs to waste away, and stick to the LC2 for now. I might think of the TRAC-5 S just for the under-barrel but as it is, I prefer the LC2 to the regular faster firing TRAC-5, so I'm not sure if I'd like the lesser ROF on the 5 S at all.

3.4 red dot is not really my first choice - I'd rather do a 2x reflex, but that's NOT available on the LC2. Which is just really stupid, as that's probably about the only zoomed in scope it will ever need.