As well as the other problems, crap flying everywhere.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LordMondando, Feb 2, 2013.

1. TorsoBoy

Interesting. I am running EPU-6 as well. I'll try disabling it and see if there are any improvements.
  2. BEcka

So i have tried everything, changing power settings to high performance, i have changed my useroptions.ini to every single user option possible especially from ppl who say they don't have this issue, my PC is not overclocked in any way, nor has it ever been overclocked, i did everything manly possible from my end, and given the fact that i didn't have this issue before the latest patch i am going to finally summarize that it's not me it's the patch.

I have a very strong PC, i'd say way above average, so it's not that either. I get this issue since i spawn (with people warping on both minimap, especially on the minimap, and on screen some dudes keep flickering in and out of existence).

My frame rate is also nice (35-145 FPS) but suddenly game crashes after 2-15 minutes or the world just disappears when i move the mouse and all i see is the sky.

I would like to say i don't want to play this game untill all bugs are sorted, but the fun fact is that I DO want to play the game even with the ******** of bugs, just that right now i can't, it either goes "not responding" on me or it just flickers in and out of existence, not to talk about warping people on the minimap and in the actual game.

Someone made a post that said that some routers are an issue (i do have a router, just not the models they said could cause problems) but guess what i have had this router since Planetside 2 beta, and this hasn't happened to me ONCE before the patch, i am sure people who have been using routers have never had this problem for the 4-5 months playing this game and you are telling me that suddenly after your patch everybody's router just went bazinga?
  3. LordMondando

Well bugger me.

Downclocked from 4.51 to 4.1 (stock is meant to be 4.2 underload).

Its actually noticable better, still there but it is, better.

Will upload some footage fighting by the crown to test it.

It is 8.30am though. So hard to really tell.
  4. LordMondando

Frankly, excellent work everyone.

Clearly something goes wrong with GU02 when your overclocked.

Whats interesting is I still have my GPU overclocked (its SC so kinda needs to be left like that.) its just CPU overclocking that seems to do this.

I've updated my support ticket telling them about this, hopefully this gets the problem diagnosed faster.

I have epu-4 as it happens.
  5. Miggs

If this is the case then an easy "Hack" would be to simply leave EPU-6 on turbo mode or overclock your PC slightly (I mean it's a pretty common pastime OC'ing) in some other way and, if you are in the right phase of the moon, you get a pretty undetectable GOD mode.

No gamecode changes, no .ini file changes, you can simply go around headshotting at will or placing explosive devices in the middle of enemy troop concentrations.

Can a game server even tell what CPU speed you are running at locally, or that it might change dynamically based on system load?

If that's all of the story impressive work in this thread, I always liked testing stuff.
  6. BEcka

It's not about OC, i have never OC my pc, in any way or any component, and still i experience this teleporting around on the minimap and people flashing around in the actual game, also my game crashes every 5 minutes or so and or the world flashes out of existence
  7. Mattsville1

Yeah same for me unfortunately. It is nowhere near as bad as it was before, but eventually I still get to a point where everything is warping all over the screen again.

It just takes a fair bit longer to get to that point now (after about 30 to 40 minutes on average where it used to start happening after a minute or two).
  8. LordMondando

Don't get me wrong, its a workaround for a bug that is still very much there, not a 'fix'.

Game has gone from 'whats the point nothing makes logical sense' unplayable, to the odd bit of warping for a few seconds of a single person, playable.
  9. LordMondando

Do you have an Asus motherboard?
  10. LordMondando

Ok I havent done anything but essentially down-clock my FX 8350 to 4.1 (it does this automatically, god knows its complicated, but its meant to run at 4.2, i've basically disengaged my overclock.)

(note how good I am, lulz)

Compare and contrast with.
    -FX 8350 running at 4.51

As you can see the difference, and I assure you this is the only difference i'm aware of, is pronounced.

I have an Asus M5A78L-M LX V2, information on how to totally remove this EPU-4 ****e, greatly appreciated.

Again, I have to stress.. this is a potential work around. NOT A FIX. Bug is still there. Bug comes out to play however It appears when the EPU energy saving engine starts playing around with values during an overclock.

N.B - the other varaible, time and thus Miller's server load is 9am and about 7pm respectively. I intend to do another video at 7pm this evening, however, given server load was ruled out earlier. I think my results still hold.

Crazy. I know. But you can't argue with empirical evidence.
  11. Jed142

So, I just bought my new cpu cooler.

I have over clocked from 2.8 to 3.4... using bios blah...

I dont know if it was the mini update that just happen recently or the fact that I have over clocked. BUT I have noticed a significant improvment.

It seems like the desync is LESS! units on the map are jumping around LESS! however they are still warping back and forth , just in shorter distances.

NOTES:
    1. This desync only happens to units that are not in your HUD view. as you spin your player around while looking at the map, you will notice that the players in your view will not warp, BUT the players outside of your view will warp.
    a) EDIT: it seems that sometimes the units that are not in view do not warp.
    2. Vehicles are not warping as much as before.
    3. It seems I no longer get the flicker bug as I did before.
    4. fps is about the same maybe 10-20 higher on the odd occasion, this is because of my GPU.
    5. MY PERSONAL warp test!: The way I can tell that MY player is not warping as much/not warping at all:
    a)Go to any terminal, wait to view the "press e to access...".
    b)Spam w,s,a,d around the front of the terminal.
    c) YOU ARE WARPING: if you notice the message "press e to access..." appears and disappears.
    you are NOT warping : if you notice that the message is solid/constant. i.e Does NOT disappear.
    The game recognizes you are still in range of the terminal, whereas if you are warping the game will think you are 10-30m away and therefore you will not see the message to access the terminal because you are not in range.

TL:DR Seems that possible solutions for me have been:
    1. that mini update recetly (possibly?)
    2. overclocking from 2.8 to 3.4GHz. I followed this guide mostly. putting my BCLK to 166:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

Actual CPUZ/bios stats.
    Proc: intel i7930
    Core voltage: 1.24V
    Core speed: 3482.9MHz
    Multiplier: x21
    BCLK: 166
    CPU volt : auto = 1.25
    Ram speed is 1331
    MB: P6X58D Premium
    GFX Card: ATI HD 5870 XXX edition
    RAM: 12 GB 1333 speed

Let me know if you need anymore info. I will also update later when i find out more info. I will try to play as much as i can tonight. STRESS TEST lol...
    Hope this helps some!!
    Jed :)
  12. LordMondando

So, you've overclocked and the problem got better.

Whats your motherboard.

Begining to think this is less about what your clock speed is, more about maintaining a stable one.
  13. Jed142

Yes. It seems that way. OR that mini update, has fix stuff that just happen to work with my setup. OR yes the OC directly helped.

Check my post for the MB etc.

Yes maybe you need a clock speed that is close to or in sync with how the game processes locations or some ****.
  14. Miggs

yeah, with the number of gamers who overclock I would have expected more to have a problem.

I don't think it is OC per-se, but rather the method of getting the OC. I mean 5MHz increase from EPU-6 is hardly an overclock in comparison to the actual base rated clock on my i7/860 at 2.8GHz, but it seems to have made the difference here. It could be the other stuff EPU does too I suppose, there's extra voltage to RAM and memory busses I think, but something changes when I told EPU-6 not to do any of that stuff to my system.

EPU type stuff is dynamic, so your CPU clock speed can change on the fly, a normal overclock through Bios doesn't change once you have set it up (as I understand it).

This desynch problem could well be an artefact of dynamic overclocking processes.
  15. LordMondando

Ok so it is an asus.

Out of intrest would you mind installing this (don't worry its legit, also really useful, you probs allready have it)
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

And alt-tabbing out and looking at the values on the bottom left on the front page.

To mine, when Oc'ed as mine has stupid power saving features and 'auto-overclock' features built in, when at 4.51 the v-core and FSB values would constantly be dancing just about the set clock.

this explanation, given the available evidence would make sense if your FSB, Voltage and clock with your OC was holding ROCK STEADY. If its dancing around whilst your planning and the warping problem is still gone, then it gets more difficult to explain.

I think... think its the combintion of oc and EPU thats doing it, if you've basically disabled EPU and forced a high but constant clock, that explains things a bit better.
  16. LordMondando

Well lets be clear, the desync problem is still an issue in the code of GU02. Prior to said patch, I had no problems, most of us didn't and I was happily OCing.

I have assurances (though I wish they'd make them public) the devs are looking into it.

whats important here is:

1) Providing useful info to that task - think we are making big strides here
    2) Finding a work around for the time being that makes the game playable.

Thus, if everyone could get some hard data as whether or not their OC's were holding stable during game-play and/or whether their downclocks were removing the problem. I think we'll get both 1 + 2.
  17. Jed142

Well, so far i've been able to play!
    PLAYABLE : TICK!

RE EPU: yes i believe that my EPU settings are no longer active. I have hard set, the muliplier and BLCK Freq. NOTE: that +3% they are talking about for the EPU... that is increasing the BLCK freq.

I think we have made some decent ground here.

ALL YOU EPU UsERS:
    I suggest having your EPU on TURBO mode. when playing games.. thats pretty obvious right? if you follow the OC guide in my last post he tells you some power saving stuff you can turn off in your bios.

Lord:
    my core speed is 3482.XX MHz where XX ranges from 70-95
    Bus speed 165.8XMHz X ranges from 4-5
    QPI link, 2985.XX MHZ xx ranges from ~10-80

Are these the values you are referring to?
  18. Miggs

Do you want me or Jed142 to install this Mondando?

--edit--
    Jst delved into the system here and I have a core clock of 2.8 not 3.2 as I thought, the 3.2 was old memories from my P4 hyperthreading processor I had on a very old box about 4 years ago.
  19. HowToAim

It appears that dynamic overclocking has caused speedhack-like effects in other games too. I hope there is something the devs can do to normalise this, I don't like the idea of facing players who are essentially (even if unwittingly) running a speed hack. They also need to check that their other games aren't also vulnerable to this (eg, DCUO-- I think I can understand now why I could never be #1 dps... zzz).
  20. Jed142

Ok, well I are pretty much convinced its clock speed related. I hope SOE reads this thread, or at least the last few pages!
    They need to be notified!