Arsenal Update is fun

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Apr 22, 2022.

1. OneShadowWarrior

The servers have been an issue since the Arsenal update, but it appears your folks are doing what you can to get it fixed. I know that attempting a new map and embracing the new attachments was a huge risk, but it appears the fights are fun and the populace feels like they want to shoot it out now. When the firefights do happen, they are a ton of fun and for once Auraxium weapons feel special now. It's a step in the right direction I haven't seen in 10 years of playing this game. I have to say, I am in shock you listened to my rants. Sorta of funny in a way. I did mention the players would go buck wild on this stuff and I wasn't wrong.

If I could take one feature from Call of Duty I like the most, I would have to say, it's the gunsmithing, nothing else. There maps are to small and they lack the proper customization that PS presents. Unlike any other first person shooter, I feel like I am a part of my character, it feels like my own and this is what separates this from the pack from the various shooters that are out there that miss the mark.

Sometimes you have to let balance go for the sake of fun gameplay. My hats of to you Wrel and your staff for heading in the right direction.

PS: You folks don't have to look very far, embrace more of the elements that are still there in Planetside 1, do I have to say Assault Buggies, Core Combat, Advanced Combat Engineering, actual infiltrator elements, more maps - are you really finished yet? The more you can carry over the more the populace will be enthralled with the updates.

Thank You!
  2. Demigan

eeeeuuuwww we just saw the second continent bomb AGAIN and you still ask for more maps?

I would rather they focus on systemic problems with the game. Lack of variety in attacking bases, poor new players experience (because experienced players buy pure upgrades for their weapons), poor basic spawnroom design, poor vehicle pad placement and vehicle spawning for defending populations overall, poor balance between infantry vs vehicles vs aircraft and poor progression system (based on killing infantry for almost everything, from directives to certs to auraxium medals to KD whoring the act of killing infantry gets it the easiest and fastest). Besides that many systems are simply not build to work alongside one another very smoothly or lack a design goal to reach. Construction for example has no real place in the game no matter what you do to the stats of the current buildings, it will never be balanced, fair or fun to fight there with the current (lack of) roles it's supposed to play. The fastest way to achieve alert victory or Outfit resources is by destroying the core gameplay of fighting one another and rather sit around waiting for timers to go down or being transported by Galaxies or redeploys. Outfits aren't designed to encourage players to engage with it's members and form tight friendships (not saying it's not possible, I'm saying it's not set up for players to easily meet, stick together, join into teams and outfits and then play together). Communications is hamstringed by making voice chat the primary communications, in a game where dozens of players might have valuable information at the same time and only one can relay it at a time.

There's a dozen things they could and should be working on. Ramming in PS1 things isn't even at the bottom of the list, it's not on the list to begin with if the devs know what's good for the game. Unfortunately we'll likely be seeing more things rammed in haphazardly and then left to rot as another appandage to the game, like Construction. Because that momentary jolt of Dopamine when people see something they asked for and they wanted into the game is what they shoot for, rather than improving the systemic problems the game suffers (Arsenal did a bit of that, but nowhere near enough and it's too rare).
  3. BlackFox

What do we need cool new stuff for if the gameplay stays the same? Infiltrators messing up the game for every other infantry class, vehicles stomping everything, aircrafts dominating the battlefield and battles are over as soon as the spawnrooms get camped (can only take 20 seconds if it's planned early on)

Not to mention the gunplay that doesn't fit the concept of PS2
    • Up x 3
  4. Sumowning

Do everyone a favor, don't go about whining about classes. It's really stale and boring, and kinda devalues the point you're trying to make.

Which brings me to the point of spawnroom camping, which is usually the causes by massive overpop being dumped on a base and it's really annoying.
  5. Demigan

Heh, you mean "do me a favor, don't complain about the Infil because I need it's crutches".
  6. Somentine

What do you mean by this, specifically?
  7. Sumowning

No, the complaining just gets incredibly stale and boring after hearing someone burn their last few remaining braincells in yell chat typing in all caps; "INFILS ARE CHEAAAAAT, BAN OP, ADMIN WARNING". But then again, you prefer the stale and boring gameplay.
  8. Demigan

Hmm my second most used infantry (ignoring the Engi I use in vrhicles) is... the Infiltrator!

Apparently the infil is stale and boring. Well I couldnt agree more! Its stale and boring to always have the drop on people with little effort! Its the fastest class I auraxed, it took a fraction of the time to aurax any weapon I have used on it including the Scout rifles, which I auraxed when they were actually bad weapons.

Now ofcourse the complaining has to be stale and boring. Because if you can point to a specific reason why something is OP you can only repeat that. While the colorful counters of the hypocrites protecting the Infil will constantly invent new lies to protect their crutches.
  9. Drgnx

redesigned continents are good too: They can do all and alternate between fixes, new features, and base/continents revamps.
    • Up x 1
  10. Sumowning

Sorry love, nobody wants to hear the same old "X is OP, remove from game" story. So unless it's related to the topic at hand, don't even bother.
  11. Sumowning

I mean the 'new' Esamir was an improvement, but still kind of meh. The Eastern Warpgate still feel quite a bit meh in terms of lanes.
  12. Demigan

Really? So why would Blackfox bring it up?

Or to use your own words against you, why would people complain so much that the complaints become stale and boring to you? If "nobody"* wants to hear these complaints why would it be brought up again and again and again?♤
    Gee for someone so educated and logical it seems like you cant even keep your story straight in the same thread. "Nobody wants to hear it but everybody complains about it until its boring!".

What nobody wants is someone who crutches so hard to pick on a single point of someone and go "nobody wants to hear complaints about classes!" Even though its obvious its not about classes but about a single class, your crutch.

* infiltrator crutchers like you.
    ♤because they have a point.
  13. Drgnx

I'm on PS4, Esamir has been disabled for around a year now
  14. Sumowning

Why would he bring it up? Because he's biased against Infils and pretty toxic whilst he's at it, just take a quick at his postings.. It's pretty obvious.

I was gonna post some prime specimens of people you are defending but honestly I don't think I can post that anywhere without it being taken down, IT IS THAT VULGAR, this toxic bias against Infils you continue to perpetuate. I had 5 of those specimens, this week alone, most of which had the awareness of a potato and were running down an active combat road and got dinked and another who got knifed (with a 2-hit knife btw) And they still whine and are just as toxic.

This is not a OHK issue, again. It's a player issue, and always will be. And yes, I will call people out on it because we Infils, and frankly just anyone is done with these toxic players, that are starting to affect the Dev's decisions.
  15. Sumowning

Wow.. A year? I keep hearing about the console side of Planetside 2 really lacking in content being disabled, the whole of construction being another example of that.
    • Up x 1
  16. Demigan

I see someone toxic and biased allright. Its definitely a player issue. Mainly the person crutching on something defending his crutch with every trick in the book. We've seen whataboutisms, willful ignorance, villifying your opponents even before they first responded, thinly veiled insults, anecdotes with some of them clearly made up and absolute craploads of hipocracy.

You treat everyone who disagrees as an enemy, and when they treat you that way in return you go "see? They are the problem". Pathetic.
  17. RabidIBM

At this point, add, remove, keep whatever features you want. Can I get a server that works please?
  18. BlackFox

The game is designed like a Battlefield game - capture the point, massive team work, "tactical" movement, etc.
    But the gunplay for the usual weapons put emphasis on competetive duels between players like in Halo or Unreal Tournament. Precision and TTK are lackluster compared to similiar titles, macking it impractical to switch targets for example. (Shooting the next enemy after the first target got into cover)

No really "biased"
    I could write you a whole article about why exactly the infiltrator is imbalanced based on gamedesign, implemention and game mechanics. (Which I already did a lot of times - you probably stumbled over them, too). Being biased would mean I'd base it simply on opinion or preference and not on proofable flaws within the concept of the class
  19. Sumowning

What you're describing is a sort of identity crisis for Planetside, wouldn't you agree? Where it doesn't know if it wants to be a more competitive shooter such as Halo, UT, Escape from Tarkov, etc. With a focus on the IvI or the competitive duels side between players, or a more Team-based game such a Battlefield, Arma3, etc.

I'd say it's almost part of the charm that's there for Planetside, to have something for everyone. To the micro level of things, such as duels between players, to the more macro elements such as territory control and strategy.

So what exactly do you believe Planetside, should be?

People do it all the time, however in 99% of the cases when it comes down to them dying to a class. And I'm not even talking to specifically infiltrator here. But also other classes. It follows the principle of "Everything I don't play is OP, everything I play is balanced"

Also is this the article, you're referring to?

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...n-we-please-nerf-infiltrators-already.256907/

It's very clear it's written up out of sheer frustration which isn't to say it isn't valid comment, but it sure puts it in the light of "Yet another salty person who died to x class", and whilst I would agree with CQC bolters as it's the closest to some kind of COD BS. It still requires them to actually hit the head, it takes great reflexes whilst we still have people running around with OHK shotguns, and guns with waaaaay too much range and a bottomless mag.

Which kinda comes back to your first reply, I don't believe Planetside2 to be a very competitive game. It is in fact a MMOFPS, it's overal low TTK, vehicles, abilities in general, and gameplay loop centers around teamplay, tactical and strategic play. Not around who has the best accuracy/kill potential as this gets screwed by the above mentioned factors.

I don't think the playerbase to be competitive either, there are those that WANT to be competitive. But again, it's hard to do that when arguably most classes aren't designed for that.

Infil Cloak - gets the drop on people by horizontal flank, which gains in effectiveness the more chaotic the battle is thus an innate advantage when people are distracted in large battles rather than a 1v1.
    Engineer turret - It's a point hold thing, designed for jsut that and the rest is very based around vehicle play.
    Heavy Assault shield - With the press of a button you gain ~500 effective HP over your enemy, which defeats the whole 1vs1 aspect as it automatically gains you an advantage against anything that does not have 1.5k HP. Aka all other infantry classes, minus the cloaker as them getting the drop on a HA, negates the raw HP gain of said shield.
    Medic Heal - Literally made to heal groups of friendlies, not really as a solo option.
    Light Assault - Very similar to Infiltrators, as they gain advantage the more chaotic the battle, however they are vertical flankers.

The point of mentioning that is, most players who are hyper-competitive shouldn't be playing Planetside for that sake. These are the people busting a nut over KD/IVI or whatever metric they can come up with to make them feel better. The element for competitive play is there, but infantryside is a very micro thing compared to the other elements.

So when you say x class is OP, it is heavily and I mean heavily dependent on the situation you're in. It's never just a small map of 6 v 6, where a single bullet of a clock could end you. Medics and Engi's are not specialized in killing people infantryside, flankers such as Light Assaults and Infils are, depending if they can get their advantage off, which becomes a disadvantage otherwise. Heavy Assault on the other hand, get a raw 500 effective HP over any class with the press of a button regardless of the circumstances.

In order to create a 'fair competitive game' there would be no such abilities, no vehicles, no regenerating HP, and everyone would have equal HP values. At which point why not just play actual competitive FPS games?
  20. Sumowning

No, I amongst many other are sick of ye old "x Class is OP, pls nerf" resulting in imbalance simply because people refuse to counter it. I'm just going to let this post from someone other than me do the talking, since you clearly won't listen to me. Because it pretty much sums up my entire point;