Are we ever gonna do anything about the ZOE?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mechwolf, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mechwolf

I've noticed that in almost every thread i've seen, everybody agrees that the ZOE is completely overnerfed. I've noticed that not many people actually make threads about this, but it's seems to be a thing most people agree upon: the ZOE is definitely overnerfed.

I've agreed since it's initial release, when SOE put on all the damage nerfs AND the fact that it had no way of turning it off after it was turned on was a bit much. But it has a reputation for being a useless ability throughout the forums, and I'm just surprised it's endured for so long without any reworks.

I personally believe the only rework needed for this to not be considered a useless ability anymore, is to make it so you can turn the ZOE on and off again like a heavy assault shield, BUT there'd be a timer of 6 or 7 seconds with upgrades for longer duration of which it could be active. Along with an initial penalty for turning the ZOE on so people don't charge up Vortex shots and just turn on ZOE at the last second.
  2. Pikachu

They can't make it more useful than lockdown otherwise TR would complain too much. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 4
  3. FieldMarshall

Its deffinitely bad. I think its just that everyone got used to it being broken and got tired of asking if anything was to be done with it.

And apparently some people believe that since it was so OP, it should never be viable again.
    Dumbest thing i have heard. Good way to destroy the game though
    • Up x 3
  4. DoomFruit

ZOE doesn't do anything to Vortices or Comets. The damage "buff" is so utterly pathetic that it may as well not be there. Right now, even ammo canisters are a better choice.
  5. SerasVic

What's ZOE?

I know this guy "SOE" but ZOE ???? o_O

:p
  6. Mechwolf

In other words "You shouldn't have an ES ability, deal with it"
    • Up x 1
  7. sindz

What a complete load of ****. ZOE was never that OP, it was OP yes, but it wasnt nearly as broken as forumside wants everyone to believe. If people actually shot at it instead of panicking and trying to run away from the ZoE MAX people would realize +30% damage taken is _alot_.

In current form its completely useless and there isnt a single upside to using it, much like the PPA is now. Its just how it goes for the VS.
    • Up x 3
  8. RykerStruvian

Can't kill what can't be hit. ADADADAD was the ZOE strategy. Now that ZOE is gone, it's nothing but a bad nightmare and it should stay that way.
  9. sindz

They fixed the ADADAD exploit really quickly and added momentum. And I agree it was OP, but that doesnt mean it should be in completely broken state as it is now.
    • Up x 1
  10. asmodraxus

Ok so lets make the Vanguard shield stop the main guns from working right? as its OP too some extent? Lets nerf the hell out of the repeater as its got 1000's more kills then the Beamer right?

Lets completely destroy the Banshee, Ravens etc as they have been abused by the respective factions.

Or shall we assume the VS needs a reworking of the ZoE.

The ZoE in its original form was either going to be completely useless or OP but that was over a year ago.

I wonder if SOE would release the actual usage stats for the current max abilities, then maybe the most used faction ability should get the ZoE treatment (hint for those NC its the Aegis shield, just think 1 less damage for the trade off not being able to shoot?).
    • Up x 1
  11. RykerStruvian

No, don't change the ZOE. But Vanguard shield/Raven definitely needs a nerf. I agree.
  12. Alarox

I see VS's ZOE as much as I see NC's shield and TR's lockdown.
    • Up x 4
  13. TheKhopesh

The Aegis shield is actually used more, but only by those who don't realize that there's an exploit* that allows the enemy to negate the shield.

(Though the shield is actually useful against those on the enemy sides who don't know what that exploit is, but using the shield bears the inherent risk of being blasted away during a chance encounter with an enemy who does know, and you're without the capabilities of returning fire or escaping due to the dramatic loss of movement speed.)

All in all, the three are -sadly- more or less even on the "useless" scale.

*Obviously I won't be stating what the exploit is on the forums, given that knowing the concept of what it is is in-and-of itself a guide on how to do it. It has been brought to the attention of the devs, but no solution is known on how to fix the broken mechanic that allows it.
  14. ElastaPlast

In the interest of balance, then should lock down have a minimum period when it cannot be turned off? Should aegis shield have the same restriction? Does 15 seconds of not changing your current state sound fair?

Oh wait, nobody wants balance in this game, just their favourite cheese.

But, but, ZOE has two upsides and only one downside. That's not fair

I used to use ZOE before it got nerfed (a bit), but soon removed it, even from my burster loadout. The damage buff was not worth the pink streamers blocking my view of the target and an additional 30% damage taken. Definitely not worth the 2250 certs it takes to fully upgrade.
  15. sindz

No, not really. As the shield and lockdown actually are usable in such a degree they actually provide you with a benefit - situational but still a decent benefit when used at the correct times. ZOE provides you with nothing. Yes, nothing, its _only_ downsides - there isnt a single benefit from using ZOE, nothing, nada zip, bupkiss.

So yeah, ZOE is in a way worse state than NC shield or TR lockdown and you see shield and lockdown quite a bit.
  16. RykerStruvian

Hahaha, you're funny. low settings removed streamers. And yes, it was totally worth it since you could ADAD hitbox warp. Many stats were padded thanks for the ZOE and a lot of people quit playing specifically because of it.

Tell you what, put ZOE back in the game in it's entirety as it was before it was nerfed. Let's just kill the game off faster. I don't care anymore :) I retract all statements about ZOE, please buff it. It needs to be buffed so badly. It's underperforming!
  17. HadesR

ZOE needs scrapping ...

It was a totally flawed concept from the very beginning ...

It was either going to be extremely OP ( Which it was )
    Or extremely useless ( Which it was nerfed to )

VS should have a totally new ES ability ( and no not jump jets for those balance challenged :p )
    • Up x 2
  18. asmodraxus

It needs a serious reworking and not a buff to what it was previously

As ZoE stands
    1 less bullet to kill infantry within 10m (totally worth it o_O with the Max ttk vs infantry)
    Slightly more AV damage within 50m (but not on bursters, now whats the Prowler / Vanguard TTK on Max units vs Max units TTK on MBT's?).
    Slightly faster walk speed (slower then running or charge)
    30% more damage and a great big neon sign saying please kill me.

Personally I would say go back to the drawing board with ZoE and think of something new, maybe make all weapons damage heavy armor when turned on (just not very much for something like the Quasar), drifter jets, very very very limited jump jets.
  19. nehylen

Better standard movement. It's the lowest benefit out of the 3 i guess, but not entirely null and void. It occurred to me while watching Wrel's latest newbie-friendly videos, while i was like: 'Wrel, for the love of Vanu, why are you showing newbies that crap? WHY?!".

The worst thing about ZoE, actually, is that it doesn't even state how limited its range is in the tooltip. This lack is actually disinforming! The MAXes i see use it are mostly doing some AA or long range AV duty...
  20. Ragnarox

Give us 2k shield or jetpack= everyone happy (on the VS side) xD