Are the Developers their own worst enemy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jube, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jube

There are sooo many issues that people rage about in this game that get no apparent response from the Developers and yet they introduce and change things in the game that cause disruption.

How many thousands of complaints are there about the "Striker" since it was introduced? Not just from opposing factions either but from the TR players as well. No response.

How many people complained that 6X scopes need to sway? Any? If they have I must have missed it in these forums. But here it is being tested on the PTR.
    How many people are going to complain after you introduce this scope sway? Alot I'm betting.

Might I suggest SoE that you assign some Developers to be the "Fix this ****" Team.
    This team being the guys that are actually reading these complaints and doing something about them, before you piss people off to the point of not playing your game anymore?
  2. Jaes

If the devs listened to every complaint made by this player base, this game would've imploded on itself a long time ago :rolleyes:
    • Up x 9
  3. siiix

the community its this games worst enemy because of instead of having a hardline vision, the devs try to listen to all the crting and whining on the forums

i think every nerft should be put up for community vote, but ONLY after the team disguised it if that nerft would not do more harm then good, and if its not in line with what the devs envision for this game the whining should be just flat ignored

the striker SHOULD STAY, and so the other rocket launchers.. UNCHANGED

i personally dont care about the 6x scope, i would not vote on that at all, but i would love to read the pros and cons before i make up my mind on that... without proper discussion only the whiners opinion is heard, but not the opinions of those who like a feature
  4. maxxlight

they dont must listen to EVERY problem but they should perhaps give statements to biggest problems. a "yes ur right, we fix that in 2month" or "no, this thing is ok, we let it how it is". Thats all what most of Peoples wants to see. Ignoring will result in quiting game because ppls are frustrating.
    sorry for my english...
    • Up x 1
  5. Hosp

Take a deep breath, step away from the computer, go out, get a job, find a hobby, a girl/boy friend, speak to someone not via a mobile device, feed the birds or squirrels, make a big dinner;

Then come back and profit.

The devs know what they're doing. Unfortunately, they cannot predict how players will change their intent. So it will always seem they are a step behind when it comes to balance/fixes. No amount of rage will speed them up.
    • Up x 2
  6. CoffeeBreak

Are the developers their own worst enemy? Nope. The whiners on the forums are their worst enemy. The whiners have their set playstyle and anything the effects it in a way they don't like is the Devs ruining the game.

The whiners make the game more unbalanced by crying for buffs and nerfs (SOE actually does seem to listen ) that aren't needed. Changes that are made to "balance" the game for players that are unable to think for themselves and adapt.

The whiners fill the forums with threads that would make a possible new player think "wow everything here hates the game...guess I'll try something else"
    • Up x 4
  7. siiix

i wish i could agree with that but to me it seems the devs do not know what they doing, they original ideas are great, but then they just mess up the game by listening to most whiners and cry babies ... and i agree it would help a lot it they just say "NO! we wil NOT change this" then people would know they can stop complaining , but as it is they just enable the whining by nerfting anything randomly what people complain about... they should put they foot down once in a while

----------------
    and BTW its better if the people who dont like this game leave then people who like this game.. you will lose people either way, but at least you lose the ones who are unhappy to begin with
  8. Hosp

I agree they do need to be more vocal about what they won't do. But for a still developing game, lets face it this is still open beta, they are still at a point where making changes and watching the results is still viable. They will eventually reach a point they can no longer do that, when that happens is when the real cry babies will be rage quitting left and right because they won't get what they want. It also becomes a good time to invest in a proper marketing campaign, but that's an issue for another thread.
  9. LT_Latency

No players play for 10 mins see thing from one side and start screaming for nerfs.

You need time to see how things are going to work.
    Plan the correct fix.
    Then build the fix.

A good example of this is Starcraft 2. Many times there have been players scream for nerfs to units. Then 3 or 4 weeks later a player finds a awesome counter and the tears go away. Things don't always happen in 5 mins.

You really need to play test things for a while before you know for sure if it's OP or UP
  10. siiix

this is a free2play game it will stay in beta like conditions right until it goes offlline... that is one of the big benefits of a free2play game

and as i said people will leave either way, its far better that people rage quite who never liked the game to begin with, then those leaving quietly and sad who very much liked the game to begin with

TONS of great players left this game when they nerfted the vehicles, in my opinion way more then people who would leve do to vehicles, and in my opinion those where VALUABLE players who enjoyed the game, and not people who spend every minute of they life on the forum whining how bad this game is

its impossible to make every one happy, SOE should chose wich crowd they would like to keep as they customers

there is always a battle between PS1 and BF players, but honestly the difference between those 2 games is minor compared to what all the whining is all about... those 2 games should be the hardline blueprint the devs should use to chose wich complains have to be ignored, and ALL balance issues should only be decided between wich game should PS2 be more similar to BF2 or PS1 because that is the ONLY valid discussion here

anything on rocket launchers and explosives and vehicle capabilities should not only stay but rolled back as both PS1 and BF where originally in line with PS2
  11. Jube

I don't think I made myself clear to you guys.
    I'm not suggesting that the Development team make changes based on EVERY player complaint, although when there is a high volume of complaints from all side perhaps that should get some attention.
    No the point I'm trying to make is this. The developer seem to "Shoot themselves in the foot" all the time.
    For example the recent "Changes" to the Tank mines, Wow what a colossal mistake. There was nothing at all wrong with the size of the mine but without testing on their new PTR they threw it in the game and pissed off all the engineers. And likely lost a few players that may come back after they cool off....or not.

They are constantly making changes to things that don't require changing, but on the other hand making no effort to change things that DO require it.
    These forums are monitored for these types of complaints for instance "Claymores are broken" this is a biggy, I've seen what twenty threads on this issue. Obviously there is a problem that requires attention. Does it "Require" the fixes suggested by the posters? No. But it does require some attention.
    Like I said they need a Fix it Team that works on Fixing things like the "Claymore trip wires being seen by enemies problem" They should make their fixes on the PTR and tell people to test it for them. It would save them so many headaches, while at the same time give the players a feeling that their complaints are being addressed.
    If they had done this type of testing with the Tank mine, it would likely not have been changed like it was in the actual game, because people would have said, Wow that's huge what are you doing lol.
  12. Holomang

There is very little in this game that is actually unbalanced.

You know how you can tell? There's whine threads about virtually every weapon/vehicle/faction in the game.

Tanks are OP/UP, Air is OP/UP - My Mossie is too weak/My Reaver sucks, nerf shotguns, nerf maxes/you overnerfed maxes/VS maxes are too weak, NC has the worst guns in the game/TR has the worst guns in the game/NC guns are OP/VS guns are OP, Strikers are OP/Phoenixes are OP/Lancers instagib me... etc etc

The problem is the current generation of COD children that can't accept anyone being better than they are, if you die you go to the forums to beg for a nerf for what killed you instead of improving your own play.
    • Up x 2
  13. Metallic123

If they didn't listen to their player base the only thing left would be liberator crews playing. Pheonix would still OHK. What they need is to prioritize their fixes and balances.
  14. MFP_TK_01

Players are the devs worst enemy. No matter what they do, no matter how hard they try, they will never ever please every customer.

You will not agree with every change made.
    You will not agree with the time it took to make a change.
    You will complain that some items need a change but it may not see one for a while.
    What you don't understand is that you are one little bird in a nest of 100,000 screaming for substance just like every other little bird.
    And worst of all, you little birds have absolutely no concept of the office environment and yet you create job titles and ask that somebody simply be 'thrown' in it so that they may serve you and your issues.

If you would really like to be constructive, go spend time on the test servers. And I mean actually test the product, don't just jump in there just to play with a new toy before everyone else. After you have spent time with that product, write a small review on it and elaborate. Saying something like 'XX item sucks, fix it' is not elaboration. And most of all, understand that you have done something to promote a change but do not expect it to change to your exact criteria.
  15. Fishy

I strongly support fixing existing bugs before adding new content for a week or two, just because there are so many bug at the moment it hurts the game experience.
    I am also glad you changed your mind from Wednesday.
  16. Jube

I do spend time of the test server and would absolutely write an unbiased opinion on any changes they would like to make, if they said hey guys we are employing a change to the Claymore test this out. I'd be in there is a minute dropping them everywhere and as the enemy running around trying to find them.
    Before you go all high and mighty on me sir I didn't try to lay this all on the Dev's. If they'll use the PTR to effect changes to "Fix" broken weapons I'll be more than happy to test them, both as user and target.
    But ultimately it IS the Dev's that have to make those changes isn't it. IF there isn't changes to test well.......I can't test it.

Not sure where you are going with this link, since I did not post to that thread.
  17. MFP_TK_01

Good, then you are halfway there. Now you just have to understand that a thread like this is a waste of time and a insult to those who work hard so you can play.

Edit: I think Fishy is trying to implement me since that link seems to be tied to my post. But I have no clue what he's getting at because my stance there is the same one here, of which he doesn't understand just like he doesn't understand IT.
  18. Jube

Hmm am I wasting my time...perhaps but it's my time to waste isn't it.
    Am I insulting the developers by pointing out short falls in the way things are being done? Some may see it that way I suppose, but ultimately if they do then they can't see past their own nose.
    There forums are set up so that different point of view may be expressed in order to IMPROVE the product that SoE is trying to sell us, "The squabbling little birds" as you call us.
    In the end I am trying to reach out and help them not put them down, as you seem to think I am.
  19. MFP_TK_01

Helping implies offering useful information. There is nothing useful when playing internet upper management. If you think fixes are rolling slow now, just wait until you put a stranger on 3 months of code that may or may not have instructions and tell him to 'fix it'. Maybe they should do that....
  20. Phyr

Maybe they don't like repeating themselves. I know I don't. And, when devs speak in a thread, it usually kills the thread topic. Most complaints aren't even worth responding to.