Are Shotguns Viable For LA?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by RayDrazon, Dec 22, 2012.

1. RayDrazon

The title says it. Are shotguns a viable method of playing LA? (Can I do just as well with it as the Carbine?)

I just decided to give shotguns a try today so I gave the Pandora a 30 minute trial. In my opinion, I seem to do a heck ton better with it- first time able to pull off a 3 to 1 kill/death ratio.

The problem is, I'm worried that if I use the shotgun, I won't be able to do some of the medium range stuff I do which is roof camping. How roof camping works for me is just to find a good secure spot with cover on a high place right behind enemy lines so I can snipe them off one by one without them noticing; this can't possibly happen when I'm equipping a shotgun.

I don't know why but I just seem to have a natural feel for how the shotgun works- I get do so much better in CQC with it. So are they are viable way to play Light Assault?

Please post and comment below. Thanks.
  2. centurionvi

If the idea of swooping through a window and killing 3 people before they have any idea what happened appeals to you then yes, shotguns are amazing. I was about to quit the game out of boredom until I tried a Nighthawk on the Light Assault and created one the most fun combinations I've played in a game. The range isn't nearly as poor as people make it out to be either.
  3. Ayre

Shotguns reward positioning. You get into the right spot and ambush, you get kills. That's all there is to it. This plays well with LA since the whole class is based around having position advantage. I have the Auraxium medal with my Pandora and could probably prestige that weapon if such a thing existed. So yes, shotguns are extremely viable.

As for mid range, there's nothing wrong with switching to a carbine for those midranged battles. You get multiple load-out slots for a reason. The vanilla Solstice is amazing with a 2x Reflex on LA. Just know when to use which weapon.
  4. Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

If you enjoy the shock and attack that you can deal with the shotgun at close ranges coupled with the maneuverability of the LA, then keep it up! Personally, I like it.
  5. VKhaun

Yep... shotguns give LA both a super short range option and a super long range option (Slugs) to compliment their nice mid-short to mid-long range carbines. You just have to bring the right weapon for the assault, like everyone else.
  6. RayDrazon

What are slugs? o_O (I don't mean the animal kind...)
  7. VKhaun

Slug Ammo is an upgrade for shotguns to use slugs.
    Slug is a term from real life that means a shotgun shell with one large projectile in it rather than multiple pieces of shot.

In Planetside2 these are surprisingly accurate, and when combined with a good magnification sight, turn a shotgun into a serviceable mid-long range weapon. Good thing to have if you're going to get somewhere tall and shoot down like on top of a tall building, or lodge yourself somewhere up on the wall of a base, or on top of a tower. Also GREAT when 'Deploy' dropping on to Bio Lab domes because it's very easy to steer your pod on top of those, then shoot down at fights around the air pads.
  8. Ghoest

They are good weapons for many people.
  9. BobJohnson

As someone who doesn't have a shotgun unlocked but dies to LAs with shotguns all the time, ya, I'd say they are viable.
  10. japro

I would even say LAs are the class that can make the best use of them since we are best equipped to close the distance to opponents or drop in on them.
  11. Meiu

If you play LA, a shotgun is probably literally the best investment you can make.
  12. SecularPope

Yeah I love rocking a Nighthawk and Flashbangs on my TR LA. Its a great combination for indoor fighting. Shotguns are also one of the best weapons to be used while Jetpacking IMO in close quarters (then again Jetpacking and whipping out a grenade launcher in emergencies also has its perks).
  13. RayDrazon

Are there any disadvantages to slug ammo? If they're so good at medium range, do they have any penalties in medium?
  14. SecularPope

There are a ton of disadvantages to slugs. For starters they are pretty bad at close range - you can certainly get kills with them but it takes 3 rounds and they are much harder to aim. Its certainly better than trying to use a sniper rifle up close - but in alot of situations your pistol would be better. (They aren't as bad as some people make them out to be - but if you start missing you are going to die).

They also are difficult to aim at range. If the target is moving full speed horizontally most of the time you will miss.

Honestly I use a slug setup sometimes when I am bored but if you are looking for efficacy at long / medium range you are much better off using a carbine or a different class. Most people aren't going to stand still and let you pwn them with slugs (yes I get kills on moving targets with slugs but it requires alot of lead compared to other weapons, IMO slug sniping is a cool niche thing you can do but there are more effective ways to take down your target).
  15. Ipecac

They suffer pretty severe hipfire inaccuracy and I think they do less damage than a full blast of shot. In anything much past melee range you'll need to ADS to get consistent accuracy, so if you approach close combat with the same mentality as pellet shotguns you might run into trouble. I will say that a slug shotgun is more versatile than a pellet shotgun overall, considering it's almost impossible to kill someone with shot outside of, say, 20m; whereas the slug is at least somewhat capable in close range and pretty strong over distance.

One trap to avoid is trying to duel automatic weapons at range: if you both start shooting at each other at about the same time, the flinch induced by his multiple rapid bullet impacts will make it very hard to line up the ~2 followup shots you need to finish him off.

And yes, as SecularPope says, all slugs travel quite slowly and display significant projectile drop. They require quite a bit more finesse to use than pellet shotguns overall, but many people seem to enjoy them. Shotguns are strong and fun enough that I'd recommend anyone have one available, and opening up a completely different style of weapon for 100 certs is a good deal in my eyes.
  16. undeadsapir

i rocked a 5 K/D with my shotgun today in an amp station assault, with better score/hour than i get with my rocketpod scythe,
    LA is the perfect class to play shotguns, very good investment to have.
    originally i bought the shotgun for my engineer but the LA uses it so much better.
    i personally dont like using the slugs since if you dont stay completely still while shooting your accuracy is awful, and it makes the shotgun bad for CQC (still possible to get quick kills, but alot of the times it will take you 3 shots even from rather close, and those shots are far less accurate than using buckshot)

anyway, get it :) you wont be disappointed
  17. Winky

Relevant Video:
    • Up x 4
  18. Ayre

I LA shotgun professionally and I am legitimately impressed. Especially since that was with an unupgraded Pandora. I support nerfing giraffe camo.
  19. Skadi

The lulz that were had.
  20. Stargazer86

Giraffe's are overpowered.

Anyone have any opinions on the TR shotguns? Is any one of them better than the others and do any have noticeable differences between them?