[Guide] Are Rocket Launchers OP?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, May 26, 2014.

1. MrJengles

Logic! Ah no, must talk about faction imbalance when no one ever suggested that was an issue!
    • Up x 1
  2. Maljas23

Right. The issue starts when you die to a rocket instead. Unless you've got something to back up your claims?
  3. Hoki

I'm honestly starting to become embarrassed that I play this game.

My friends be like, "you play planetside still?" And I'm like, its not that bad!

"thats the game where a direct rocket launcher hit with a 5 second reload doesn't kill infantry right?"

:oops:
    • Up x 2
  4. MrJengles

I wish I had a heat map of RL kills, particularly Bio Labs and towers. Sadly, only the developers can see that stuff.

Good thing they just listen to concerns and balance is up to them. If it were up to me, I'd make sure I saw the stats first too.
    • Up x 1
  5. m44v

"No, is the game where air and ground farms you because your stock rocket launcher can't hit anything that isn't at spitting distance."
    • Up x 3
  6. Hoki

"Is that the same one where it took the devs a year and a half to decide that bolt action headshots should kill infantry?"
    • Up x 3
  7. NyaR

I stopped reading your comment after this statement. Basing an argument on a fragmented understanding of an opposing idea is a waste of everyone's time.
  8. Pie Chasm

It's so stupid, because rocket launchers are harder to use than OHK shotguns effectively (if you try them as CQC).

Not only does your projectile suddenly have absurd travel time, you also have to adjust more and put more skill into actually hitting your target than otherwise due to drop, etc.

"BUT DERP HEAVY CAN RUN INTO MAI FACE AND.."

You let a heavy run into your face? WTF is wrong with you? The time it takes for a heavy to just hipfire a rocket into you without aiming is more than enough time for anybody decent to destroy you with any projectile weapon.

This whole rocket primary thing isn't legit. It's some troll gone out of control, amplified by legitimately bad players and hopefully not taken seriously by the devs..
  9. HadesR

Dmg is fine on them .. I would give them an arming delay like the UBGL though .. So if you are running around with it out and turn a corner into an enemy it not just a derpy get out of jail free card ...

Just my opinion anyway
  10. Fortress

Wait, are you implying that you want the viper to one hit kill again?

Ahahaha oh man these forums are golden, just golden.
    • Up x 1
  11. DrPapaPenguin

Eh, if you can't take a rocket to the face then why join the fight.
  12. Thardus

The rockets don't need a direct hit to kill, right? Just the explosive damage will do the trick if you aim at their feet? I didn't realize this before, so yeah, I'd be perfectly fine if they turned up the projectile damage, and turned down the explosive damage.

A direct hit with a dumbfire rocket launcher should be lethal. Anything else is turning you into a sitting duck whenever you pull one out.
  13. faykid

Your quote of my post is missing one very important statement:

First will be HA overshield nerf, then the RL nerf [...]. After that, they only reason to use HA will be large magazine weapons. At the cost of not having ammo and mines, medic abilities, jet pack or any other useful class perks

As you can see, I did mention the "ability to create a second layer of shields that gives them virtual HP or reduces incoming damage". And I also mentioned, that it is scheduled for a nerf as well.

Since you probably only read the sentence you quoted, without the necessary previous one, let me reiterate:

With both overshield nerfed (activation delay) and RL nerfed (if you equip it and run into infantry = you're dead), the only reason (read: advantage) to use HA will be large magazine weapons. At the cost of not having ammo and mines, medic abilities, jet pack or any other useful class perks
    • Up x 2
  14. NyaR

Rockets need a direct hit to kill unless the target is low on health/shield.
    • Up x 2
  15. Haquim

Would you do me a favor and post the damage stats of a (dumbfire) RL?
  16. NyaR

no.
  17. Haquim

Ok, allow me then.

The standard dumbfire rocketlauncher, S1, ML-7 and the Shrike? have, as stated in the video, the same stats.
    That is 1135 damage on a direct hit, no matter the distance, and 1000 splash damage in 0.5 m, falling off to 1 damage at 5 m.

Now I'm not a genius, but I think 1000 damage on a near miss (or impact in your mate next to you) might be sufficient to kill somebody with 500 shield and 500 health. Exception being guys wearing flak-armor and HAs with active shield, obviously.

Nothing personal, but do you even check the numbers before posting? It is hard to have a constructive discussion if one side uses statements that are plain wrong.
    PS: Before the flak-armor gets pulled: Yes it will mitigate the splash damage, but a direct hit with (1000 +1135)/2 damage (flak level 5 reduces 50%) will still OHK you if youre not a HA who has his shield activated.
    • Up x 1
  18. Lord_Avatar

And rightfuly so. ;)
    • Up x 2
  19. Haquim

From the point of realism, sure.
    From a gameplay perspective... ehh, I dunno. Removing OHK might solve problems, but its not my favored solution. And I fear that it might be a buff to MAX suits and tanks.

The odd "rocket primary" guy is not much of a problem, but in certain areas they tend to outnumber the gun users sometimes.
    Yesterday I had a biolab fight - the teleporter room was constantly camped by at least 6 HAs (and a dual falcon MAX, but we don't count those, do we?). And that is my main problem with them. They are so easily spammable, you could just as well be camped by a zepher (at least that guy ***** of after eating 2 decis himself instead of gettin rezzed)
    I don't actually even mind the OHK (although flak 5 should prevent that, theres a reason I never see anybody but MAX suits running it).
    Everybody got one, if a single engineer is around ammo is no limit either. Just use it the "american way", you'll hit somebody eventually. Just stop the freaking infinite OHK + splash spam.

EDIT: Somehow a lot of people say they rarely even see a rocket primary. I have trouble believing that, seeing how many I saw just yesterday. Are rocket primaries so prevalent on Cobalt only, or are those people just avoiding fights where they actually KNOW they will get rockets to the face/crotch/feet (like it matters...)?
  20. Lord_Avatar

If the teleporter room was camped, RLs - or not - You guys were plowed anyway...

Damage tweaking could be done with resistances, so that the dmg against vehicles and MAX suits remains roughly the same, however, in order to compensate for removing the OHK potential the RLs would likely be granted increased speed and that might create some sort of imbalance.

To be honest I simply like the RL mechanic as it is. I'll adapt should the need arise, but I see little to no reason to change their damage potential vs Infantry.
    • Up x 1