Are MAX Flamethrowers coming back?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Sifer2, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Sifer2

Just wondering why these were removed. I think it gave all Empires MAX a close range room clearer style weapon. Right now without them it seems like NC are the only one's that can do a MAX crash. They charge in, and stuff goes splat. I remember back in beta once NC had taken this base, and almost all of them were ScatMAX. They had held the place for like 3 hours near the TR warpgate but nothing could get in there. Finally a TR outfit got a bunch of Flamethrower MAX, and went in there an were able to kill enough of them to turn the tide. If that same situation happened now I think your screwed pretty much.
  2. Fafnir

I hope they removed them just because they are figuring out how to add damage over time effect to flames.
  3. MayorD

tbh. as a NC max ill better use flamethrowers than scat guns. hope some day we'll flamethrowers again
  4. Vreki

They were great for inducing panic in a crowd. Regardless of them being friend or foe :D
  5. Lopshot

Yes, Higby said they will return.
  6. Opapanax

Hopefully it is still in the works. I was really hoping for some type of "DOT" grenade. Something like the Gas Grenade from MAG on PS3.

I'm not sure how they would work on this massive of a scale, but it would be cool to see something like this added. If not w/e, crossing fingers for MAX Flamethrower makes a return along with a redesign of the look of the weapon attachment.
  7. felfox

I'd like to see them use the old lasher visual for a vanu plasma beam to be their version or something!
  8. Zaik

I hope so, they were much better for cutting through normal infantry than scattercannons.

I suppose the biggest problem is that all the MAX weapons are very close range only, having flamethrowers in addition to that seems a little silly.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fenix5

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/april-max-flamethrowers.82997/ thats all you ned to know
  10. OldMaster80

This. In addition Flamethrowers in beta had 2 huge problems:
    1) While firing Max Unit had almost all the screen covered so they reduced visibility a lot.
    2) They caused performance issues to some users.

Most of all flamethrowers are just cool to see but they got very little reason to exist: current anti-infantry Max weapons already do TONS of damage at close quarter.
    • Up x 1
  11. Blitzkrieg

People really don't every use their initiative or bother checking. Jesus christ.
  12. Olek

Probably because he's answering a post from last year.
  13. P149U3

they worked great in beta so i hope they don't change much. I know the main issue was graphics issues with it since it could cause players to lag out so hopefully they fix it.
  14. Rogueghost

I don't know for sure, but I think they were removed due to causing massive performance decreases.
    And yes they'll be back sometime in April, give or take.
  15. Zaik

wow, that's an old post.

anyway, it's not quite as bad as you say.

it's a little difficult to see normal infantry on the far side of the fire, but it shreds them in 0.33 seconds so it's not that big a deal.

Mercy does about 1000 DPS each, Cosmos is probably like 975ish each, flamethrowers were 1500 each and had splash damage, although it wasn't all that good. being at the center of the fire was 150 damage with a 0.1 second refire time.

At the time they were by far the best CQC weapon in the game because scattercannons were terribad with 5 round magazines and no extended magazine option. Now that they are 7 default and 12 extended though, it's not outright superior for NC anymore.
  16. Xasapis