Are LMGs too accurate at range?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Jac70, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Jac70

Maining Inf I sometimes find myself in 1v1s against enemies at distance. I feel that currently the ranges are not defined enough, especially ranges close to long which I would define as 5 - 100m.

When I first started playing, the game PS2 most reminded me off was BF2142. The LMG in that game was a suppressive fire tool, it was definitely not a run and gun weapon. The assault class, which is closer to the HA role, had access to assault rifles which were accurate for close/mid work but they would be at a massive disadvantage if they tried to engage a sniper at say 75m+. In Planetside even the LMGs can melt through the shields of enemies at 100m.

An example, I was sniping the Skydock on Indar. I was in the hills and targeted a HA down at the vehicle spawn. Fired a round which hit him in the chest, at which point he saw me, pressed his [I WIN] button and fired his LMG at me. Now he's melting through my shields and my aim is completely thrown off so I had to pull back.

I don't have an issue with any of it other than the amount of bullets someone with an LMG can put on a target at long distances. I think the HA is a little too strong anyway but they shouldn't be able to win a 1v1 with a sniper at 100m when they are firing a heavy weapon. I would suggest a slight increase in CoF for LMGs so that their effectiveness is slightly reduced over long distances.
  2. Foxirus

You missed the headshot. You are fortunate he did not kill you and was only able to break your shielding. This is not the problem of the LMG, The problem here is that you missed your targets head at 100m. There is no excuse for this, Practice more.
    • Up x 1
  3. Morsigil

@OP: I don't know what kind of range you're talking about.. if it's within 100m, that's only a few shots to "melt" through your shields. Besides, you don't even talk about what kind of weapon it was. You do realize that there are LMGs that are slower to fire but fairly accurate at range, right? Besides which, how long were you standing there that he "melted your shield" with an LMG? That means he got a few bursts off.
  4. _itg

It's kind of weird having someone complain about a gun after NOT getting killed by it. Snipers have a large combat advantage at 100m (you can instakill), but they're not supposed to be untouchable. If you want to be untouchable, pull back to 200m, but chances are you'll be much less effective.
    • Up x 1
  5. vanu123

Heavies/LMGs are fine as is.
  6. MarkAntony

the real question is why you were uncloaked long enough for him to target you at all.
    • Up x 1
  7. QuantumSerpent

First of all, so far as I've been able to tell the accuracy of an LMG drops off pretty severely past 70m or so.
    Second, it only takes 2-3 shots to take down an Infiltrator's shields.
    Third, how the **** did you miss a headshot at 100m? You can't complain because he should have been dead first.
    Fourth, why wasn't your cloak on and/or you behind a hill immediately after you fired? You can't complain because he shouldn't have still had a target to shoot at.

As an Infiltrator, I have no problem with Heavies (and I'm a noob). You can easily engage them at Scout Rifle range and win. Keep in mind--he has to land at least 5 shots, you only need to score 1 ideally, or 4 if you're using something like a Scout Rifle.
    • Up x 1