Are high framerates OP?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Killshoot1, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Killshoot1

alright it is maybe just me ,
    o had a gtx 970 witch gave me a framerate ingame
    of 90 -110 fps sadly i had a 60fps monitor for years
    now im not really good at this game because
    it seems i could not aim good , witch left me
    with a kdr of 1 (i do not care at all).
    now here it comes ,
    i finally upgraded my monitor to a 144 fps
    and let me tell you the game changed alot
    for the last 3 days witch i own the monitor
    it seems like my kdr goes up alot
    picture wise it much smoother , but the main
    think is it seems like im much quicker and better
    at aiming as my contender.
    its maybe luck , but i killed a good amount of br 100
    player .
    and i dont think i got better over night at this
    game :)
    does somebody has the same experince
    than me ?
    or maybe and i hope , i was always good in aiming
    and just was limited to my monitor :)
  2. Leftconsin

Are high framerates OP?

Yes.

Please nerf.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jubikus

Yeah frame rate is always a good advantage with FPS its why critics really hammer an FPS if its doesn't get at least 60FPS actually one of the main criticisms of PS2 in the early days was the optimization and how hard it was to get good FPS.
  4. Killshoot1

ok Op was the wrong word , i mean " a little advantage" instead op
    or is it just luck on my side ? i guess i will find out
    sooner or later
  5. Leftconsin

Oh, no. having a high framerate does translate into very large gains in kills per death and kills per hour. When I upgraded my computer my kills per hour doubled.
  6. GhostAvatar

Hell yeah, it makes a big difference.
  7. Klabauter8

I think it depends on how you play the game.

If you play as an Infiltrator who snipes for example, I think high frame rates do not matter that much. Much more important than twitch reflexes there is to have good positioning, imo. Except perhaps you are really so good at sniping, that you even also can shoot down moving targets very well.

Or also when you compare flying ESFs to flying Valkyries. I find ESFs are also much more about twitch reflexes and very accurate aiming, while Valkyries are more about tactical positioning. To have good overview and good positioning, high frame rates do not matter that much.

Or for example, you also could just be a passenger in a Valkyrie, and do hotdrops with C4 there. Even a person with only 10 fps could basically do this and get many kills with it, because all you have to do is jumping out at the right moment and drop C4..
  8. Asageh

naw, my 20-30 fps on a craptop can go toe-to-toe with a good amount of people.
  9. RocknRoll

Yes good fps give you a big advantage ingame. I play PS2 since its beginnings and had a crappy PC at start. Over the time i upgraded the components, did some overclocks, bought a new monitor and so on. Every noticeable contribution to my fps and to its consistency made my gameplay much more fluid and a bit more effortlessly.
    Today my kdr is much better than in the beginning. Ok i also learned how to play the game and its mechanics, but in a big battles it makes a huge! difference if your fps dance around 20 to 30 or around 50 to 60. Especially if you go much into CQC. Its really noticeable if you are using shotguns.
    I dont think it helps that much when playing at 90 instead of 70 fps, but i think it is really a difference between playing at 30 and playing at 50.
  10. FieldMarshall

Yes.

I used to play on 15 FPS and could only play revive medic when i first started playing. Didnt get any killing done at all.
    Bought a new laptop and limited the fps to 40 because i was afraid of overheating. Got myself a ~2.5KD after that (hate using KD as a measure)
    Eventually, i said "whatever" and bumped my fps limit to 60. KD is around 5 now, and its only going up.
  11. Liewec123

bad internet is also a huge benefit it seems, for example when you get behind cover and die a second or 2 later from the guy running on dial up who still sees you standing in the doorway...

but yeah, smooth fast framerate is always a bonus!
  12. Devilllike

i am a player who tries to snipe or generaly play with lower than 30 fps and even more often with 15 and lower fps and it clearly makes it really hard for me to deal with people with over 60 fps,i happened to expirience both ****** fps and good fps both 60 and 30 and i can tell u 60+ makes ur life easier or even 50+ its obvious because u can react much faster than the others
  13. Nregroepis

I hope decreased frame-rates on my 960 doesn't mean $260 down the drain.
  14. Hiperion

framerate below at 20 fps MAKES YOU UNDERPOWERED
  15. ALN_Isolator

DB is going to personally come to your house in real life and nerf your high end gaming computers guys. (With a sledgehammer)

Why does this thread exist?
  16. BaronX13

Wow, ok, let's break this down for giggles.

One, all he asked was if it gave an advantage, he didn't ask to nerf anything so...that first part is just you being an a**.

Two, ask the majority of higher tier and more veteran players and they will tell you that it definitely gives you an advantage.

Three, why the thread may exist other than because the OP was just curious. Simply put, if players meet the minimum requirements of the game, they shouldn't be at a disadvantage against other players in the game. Why? Because that's what the devs decided when they chose the minimum requirements. Obviously this isn't a perfect world so that will truly never happen, but to pretend that it isn't a problem is just nonsensical.

Last point, if you're going to act like a sarcastic jerk trying to be funny, at least be funny and somewhat accurate with what you say.
  17. zu2

There are many things you can do to increase your ability to play the game. This is one of them, and I did indeed notice an increased ability to play the game better when I went from playing at 60 hz to 120 hz. The game was smoother and I was less likely to lose track of people.

But I noticed bigger changes in two areas much more than the above recently.

1) going from in i5-2550 to a new mobo and an i7-4790k processor.

Doing this increased frame rates by at least 40 percent at the same graphics resolution. In addition, despite increasing my render quality to 1.44 from .94, I still found that I never drop below 90 fps in even the biggest battles now.

2) Improving my connection

I had a 15 meg down, 1 meg up connection. This past week I went to a 40 meg down, 2 meg up connection. On the old connection, I could still see ping spikes and the connection quality would frequently jump to poor and then sometimes to bad.
    On the new connection, ping is very stable in the 100-140 range and connection quality only rarely gets out of the good range. Having that stability makes it much easier to maintain a high level of consistent game play since you don't die to weird crap you can't seem to get a handle on. The computer guy I use suggested that it is the upload change that made the difference.
  18. TheFlamingLemon

Speaking of improving framerates, what will I see when I switch PlanetSide from a hard disk to an SSD? Currently getting 30-60 fps depending on the size of a battle, and I keep shadows and flora off.
  19. Plastikfrosch

i really like the first 2 mins of your video ;P
    but for real, it hurt to watch this video. This pc needs to be released from its pain.
  20. zu2

I didn't see a lot of difference in framerate, but I did see a reduction in hitching and an increase in the consistency of play.