Are Falcons feeling OP against Infantry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Devrailis, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Devrailis

I thought SOE was trying to prevent MAX AV weapons from gibbing infantry left and right. With the realignment that the Falcons received, I'm starting to understand why the ZOE Comet MAX was causing grief to NC and TR infantry players.

Running dual-Falcons, I can now pop around a corner, LMB/RMB, and BOOM, dead infantry. Repeat twice for a MAX and that MAX is toast too. Heck, land both rockets on that MAX and he's going to run for the hills anyway, which is already mission accomplished.

See that Prowler struggling up that incline below you? LMB/RMB and repeat until dead. I ate alive 6 Prowlers, 3 sundies and a pair of Lightnings, not to mention the random infantry body blocking for their vehicles between Howling Pass Checkpoint and NS Material Storage with the new Falcons. I don't ever remember the "old" Falcons being that effective at any range.

Actually, that isn't the problem, Falcons are working as intended against armour.

This is the problem: See that crowd of infantry at 80 meters? LMB/RMB, no aim required, randomly net a kill. Repeat as necessary, it's double EXP weekend after all!

Landing 2 falcon rockets (which is not that difficult) should leave infantry at 10% health rather than gibbing them outright. If I want to gib infantry, I've got Hacksaws for that.
  2. RF404

Ssshhhh... Let us have this one for more than a couple of days
    • Up x 9
  3. Pikachu

The reason was that all MAX AV weapons had abysmal DPS before the MAX update.
  4. Devrailis

Your sig is awesome yet heartbreaking. I miss the original Falcons so much. :(
  5. DashRendar

Pounders are arguably worse. 3 shots per reload and higher DPS than Falcons. Lockdown increases their range and DPS. They don't even have CoF, and I think the Falcons still do.
    • Up x 2
  6. Kulantan

They are much better than before at AI work. But they are pretty bad against moving targets. Sure some savant is probably now working on a killstreak video where they are owning everything with 100% accuracy, but the low velocity + acceleration makes leading targets difficult for the average user.

As well as this anyone with Flak armor at any level is going to need at least one more reload to kill.

Overall this mean that the Falcons aren't helpless against infantry any more and against campers they make a great peek and shot weapon to kill the stationary, but they aren't AI gods.

Amusingly thought they might be the best ranged AI for the NC, but that has more to do with how bad slugs are.
    • Up x 1
  7. Nexus545

I counter the question in the title of this thread one word:

Comets
  8. Devrailis

True, they're terrible at tracking close ranged infantry who are running at full sprint because of the variable velocity of the rockets, but at point blank if you're staring right at someone's face, you pop the rockets, you pop their heads. For CQC work, I still prefer my Hacksaws by a long measure, but I was very surprised to see just how versatile the Falcons are now beyond point-blank CQC.
  9. RHYS4190

i play TR and i think there fine, i don't think they need a nerf/ It really fun playing when those things are going off all the time
  10. c00ki3s

I think Falcons are useless against vehicles and useless against infantry . I never like it , never use it . I like TR's Pounders a lot better against infantry...
  11. Pikachu

Really? :confused: I havnt met any to tell yet. By COF I assume you nean dead zone. No MAX AV weapon has dead zone anymore.
  12. Pikachu

You think comets are still super good? It takes at least 3 hits with or without ZOE and their velocity got nerfed. Im gonna try them myself tomorrow.
  13. Hibiki54

They are fine if they are wearing Flak Armor. If they do not make that choice, then that is their bad.
    • Up x 1
  14. Nexus545

Not super good but still good enough to take on infantry.
  15. Epic High Five

Shhhhhhhh omg why are you trying to ruin this for us.

Flak armor will neuter the effectiveness of Falcons against infantry, and it's only a matter of time before it becomes a lot more common around NC MAXes. Just like it has been for the TR/NC for awhile because of Comets.

Also they only resupply 2 rockets at a time nnnnggggghhhhh
  16. Trebb

I had a similar run with Pounders+Lockdown. Yea I needed to find theee perfect spot, or I was dead before I could plant my feet. But when it worked.. OH MYYYY! Sundies went down sinfully quick, same for armor. I didnt really aim for infantry to be honest.
  17. Konstantinn

I challenge you to hit a moving infantry with 2 falcons. They look like giant balls of light, but really hit like a bullet.
  18. Pikachu

They fly straight at you and they look like fire balls.
  19. Prudentia

oh i think i missed the double shot MAX killa bility of the Comets. sucks that i didn't know that before, MAX Crashes would have been so easy to counter.
    /sarcasm
  20. Paperlamp

They're never going to cut it for indoors against larger groups of infantry, but they are very powerful if you hang back and snipe with them as they're an instant kill so the infantry doesn't get time to react to taking damage. They are slow and obvious, but they may also just not render and/or infantry can be focused on all the other stuff going on. It's not like the old falcons but it's probably too powerful as a cheesy infantry gibbing long range weapon considering it's meant to be AV. You can kind of mindlessly spam them like an improved UBGL and get absurd streaks in some situations.