Are ESF's Fighters or Helicopters?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

Make a F***ing design/balance decision/choice DBG.

The Name "ESF" stands for Empire Specifc Fighter.

Key word: FIGHTER
    • Up x 4
  2. NoobStylerIGERI

A noob wo get killed by some ESF...
    can u plz silent ?

if u can`t handel Lock`s, AA, or some Thing, than ist ur prob..
    Logs every wehre and every time aviable, AA max too......
    :/

ESF Need a buff, more HP or a nerf of this log flood :/
  3. Tycoh

Neither, they're just a pain in the a** niche craft that you have to spend WAY too much time to understand. It's a space ship. It doesn't follow any typical laws of physics or anything reasonably logical.
    • Up x 1
  4. Scr1nRusher

Actually its a VTOL fighter Jet.

Well its supposed to be.........
    • Up x 3
  5. Lucidius134

[IMG]
    • Up x 11
  6. ColonelChingles

Most VTOL fighter jets can't actually hover in any combat-useful sense.

Hence the name...

Vertical
    Take
    Off
    and
    Landing

Not "Vertical Everywhere".

It'd be interesting if VTOL only worked when landing or taking off with ESFs... in all other cases hovering would result in the loss of lift and an altitude decrease.
    • Up x 9
  7. FateJH

[IMG]
    (I couldn't find a good Mossie picture so here's a 1600x1200 Reaver.)

Their flight properties are based on flying craft in Planetside Classic. The major exceptions are:
    • gravity actually being a factor
    • being able to invert themselves in mid-air (and then gravity is a huge factor)
    • lack of stabilized strafing
    These differences make them much more interesting but also decreases the usability before learning how to dogfight. They're the future development of VTOL aircraft, which does not preclude inflexibility that bars them from being deemed "fighters."
    • Up x 2
  8. Kaindestroi

Fighter or a helicopter??
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  9. Jawarisin

Lol, I should say hello next time. I often see you run with the zerg... But I've never seen you in the air.

You're a clueless zergling as far as I'm concerned. And I chose those words carefully.
    • Up x 2
  10. SpartanZero

Based on the mechanics of the operating/handling. I'd say they're a combination VTOL turbine engine Helicopter. Since they have a top flight speed that is marginally close to the cruising speed of an attack helo (but still not close, top speed of most attack helicopters is 250-300kph) yet no where near the flight speeds of a combat fighter jet.

Basically they're a hybrid aircraft.
  11. Scr1nRusher

lol.

You'll see me in the air more.
  12. Jawarisin

Well, I'd like to be the first to welcome you. I wish I could of shown you a better time for the air-game than the broken post-patch mess we have.

Welcome aboard.
  13. CursoryRaptor

If I had to call them anything, I guess I'd call them "aerodynes".
  14. Scr1nRusher

I've been flying since the beta.
  15. Jawarisin

Never seen you in the air. And I've had my share up there. I think I actually know just about every pilot that still plays. Especially lib pilots though, I enjoy outplaying those guys.
  16. entrailsgalore

The answer is simply "Yes." It's a Copter-Jet.
    • Up x 1
  17. XenoxusPrime

Be careful with what you say, the "flyboys" will get angry and try to formulate a sentence long explanation on how air is supposed to dominate the game and then call you a noob..... oh wait they already started, sigh
    • Up x 6
  18. LT_Latency

If they can't hover that means they need to be able to blow stuff up in a single pass without even stopping..

We probably don't want that
  19. Scr1nRusher

Currently they can just hover around blowing stuff up and then if they get in trouble they afterburn away.

Also there ES AI noseguns can....... for some baffling reason destroy Heavy armor.

The whole ESF "airgame" is based around hover dueling & the reverse Bug....... I mean "mechanic".

ESF's are a problematic design.

Pick your poison.
    • Up x 5
  20. ColonelChingles

Or they could have to take multiple passes to kill something?

That'd be an option too.
    • Up x 4