[BUG] Are engineer turret hitboxes broken?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ewokinarmor, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ewokinarmor

Hey everyone. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I can never hit an engineer of a turret unless he is looking right at me. I'm quite sure it isn't my aim, as I'm able to take other snipers heads off at the same range just fine. For example, today I was on Hossin (YAAAYYY) and there was an engineer on a hill (I was at the bottom) with his turret. I distinctly saw the bullet hit right where his forehead was, but it only damaged his turret. Then, figuring I had just miscalculated or something, I decided to shoot his well exposed leg (I could literally see the whole thing, this was an AT turret.). The bullet flashed an impact right at his upper thigh. No damage to him. Finally, I moved a bit, since I was in a rush, I took a shot at his torso from the side. It definitely hit him, but the hit was attributed to the turret, and at that point I just stopped trying. Has this happened to you?
  2. Chris Bingley

The shield on an AP turret (and to a certain extent the main body of both types) will protect the user of said turret. The problem I have is that you alway used to be able to shoot through the gap at the top of the shield, but that seems to have stopped working (at least it had for me tonight on emerald).
  3. Vaphell

Yep, it's broken like that from the start.
    AV mana turret has invisible hitbox not unlike the AI turret, despite its visible model being nothing more than a tube on legs. It blocks almost everything from the frontside 180 deg arc. You either have lob the bullet above the invisible protection or flank the **** out of the dude.
    I think your chances of going through are better if you are shooting dead straight, maybe the hitbox has the narrow gap in the center just like AI models.
  4. Xocolatl

Hmm...strange. I know I can get sniped just fine in an AI turret, simply because...well, you can see where the opening is, so it's easy to shoot through. But I didn't know the AV turret is wonky like that too.
  5. Vaphell

nobody knows what the turret hitbox look like exacty so it's all speculations. My subjective perception during Failjack aurax farming was that dead straight worked more often than not.
  6. Stormsinger

They 'normalized' engie turret hitboxes a few patches ago, last I checked - they should now all behave the same, regardless of graphic... or at least that's what I remember - AV turrets had their hitboxes reduced significantly a while back as well - it is now significantly easier to nail the engie over the turret...

Now it's just 'difficult' rather then 'why did I bother shooting?' Still, I get blasted off my turret on a very regular basis, the average sniper usually takes 2-3 shots (that I notice) before managing a headshot. I have noticed that the head's hitbox goes slightly higher then the graphic, depending on the orientation of the turret... aiming a bit higher then it appears you'll need to may help.