Are BFR coming back?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldMaster80, May 1, 2018.

1. OldMaster80

Just a speculation.
    Today d0ku (a former player contracted by DBG to create assets like weapons and armors) posted a thread on Reddit claiming the team has great exciting things under construction.
    He cannot reveal anything of course, but used the hashtag #Planetside2StillHasLegs

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside...e_is_loads_of_really_cool_stuff_currently_in/

Ok, time to freak out.
    Anyone but me hoping this is a joke?
  2. HippoCryties

Don’t mind me but what does BFR mean?
  3. infilallday

BIG EFFING ROBOTS....

Think mech warriors

This has been talked about for a couple of years now...
  4. HippoCryties

Nooo god no. Big robots would ruin the experience. GOD NO!
  5. Hario

BFRs were brought into ps1 when it was middle aged

A sort of occasionally/difficult to spawn walking super tank with a bunch of players inside. They weren't considered a great addition generally and had a distinct taste of a deperate attempt at drawing new players

Stands for Battle Frame Robots iirc

They were cool to see waddling about, but were such obvious targets they had to be near invincible since everyone was hitting them
    • Up x 1
  6. Baneblade

Then they got nerfed so bad that they weren't even worth the effort to unlock. Never mind actually use.
    • Up x 1
  7. infilallday

This is why i dont spawn MAXs. Too much of a target, doesnt suit my playstyle.
    • Up x 2
  8. DirArtillerySupport

Big squishy robots...at some point these things have to come back to Auraxis. I prefer it happen in my lifetime.
  9. Metalsheep

Battle Frame Robotic is what it stood for. And they were only "Super Tanks" For a short time.

BFRs were pushed live from the testing server with one 1 day of testing. Upon first release they were like Voltron, pretty much able to dominate anything in their path. They were eventually hit with several nerfs that brought them down to a proper role in combat, but by then it was too late and most of the players that hated them left for good.

Once they were nerfed I would hardly call them Super Tanks, I would say they were more of a Fire Support platform. They only took 2 players to fully operate for the Gunner Variant, and 1 Man for the Flight Variant.

Their dominant role was as an Anti-Tank platform. The BFRs all had powerful regenerating shields that could shrug off fire from most Large Caliber weapons that were mounted on vehicles.

[IMG]

The shield could take an intense amount of punishment, making the BFR ideal for slugging it out with Tanks and other vehicles. It was more vulnerable to Air, but could equip AA weapons if it wanted to sacrifice its effectiveness against Tanks. Flight Variants were usually better for AA roles.

The real weakness of a BFR was Infantry. While the Shield could shrug off AV weapons, it allowed "Small Arms" to pass through the shield and hit the BFR directly. Giving infantry the ability to damage the BFRs vital systems and cripple it. Such as Destroying the Shield Generator, damaging Movement Servos or even its Radar. Infantry could also hit the BFR with a Jammer grenade and bring the beast to a near stop. Scrambling all its systems for a good 10 seconds and making it nearly unable to move, let alone shoot.

The greatest strength of the BFR was that shield. A BFR walks onto the field and everyone wants to kill it quickly, thinking its the most dangerous vehicle on the field. When in reality its not super effective, not able to quickly kill much of anything. They cant even 1 shot infantry. Causing the enemy to Focus Fire on the BFRs regenerating shield, and not at his squishier allies who have weapons much more dangerous than those mounted on the BFR.

People really didn't give them enough of a chance once they got nerfed. They fell into a pretty decent place on the battlefield once they got tweaked.

I highly doubt we would see the return of BFRs in PS2, though I think a Fire Support/Antitank platform akin to the BFR would be a neat addition. More shield than gun.

Fun Fact: There was a TR BFR hidden on Indar a long time ago, it was removed for performance reasons.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  10. SpeedFreakPS0NE

They could make BFRs work in PS2 with the construction system, could be something like:
    1. certain construction items + time to construct making defending base where it is being constructed important
    2. only 1 per faction per continent could exist at a time
    3. huge advantage against armor and air, somewhat useful against infantry
    4. decent mobility not limited by terrain but still takes time to get from one battle or another, possibly give a flight build option to reduce this

The thing is since there can only be one it can only really impact one battle at a time although given resources and risk involved in building one it should really provide a significant advantage in whatever battle it is in with the only counterweight being another BFR.

So essentially it is like a titan or something but constructing it could provide a whole lot of cool options where it could be built with a certain emphasis on particular traits.
  11. Nobalification

Well i want empire specific things. ESF Lightnings, Harrassers, Sunderers, Libs, Valks, Gals. Really, i want ESF so much, because now, its just bad. Seeing all NS stuff everywhere.
    • Up x 1
  12. Coliax

Doku said #Planetsidestillhaslags and not Planetside has lags. I Thing that this is a way to say that planetside is not dead and keep developing (because it has lags in can walk to better updates)
  13. Fishpoke

Imagine all the appearance items you would sell for BFRs... :)

But they need to fix the content they have before putting out anything else for a while.
  14. asmodraxus

The problem was that BFR's whilst they could indeed dominate tanks and to a lesser extent aircraft, infantry and anything else, they were balanced around each faction fielding small amounts of them.

The BIG issue was when they got fielded by the platoon, hence the nerfage. Oh and the pogo version was stupidly OP until it got nerfed, then it was hilarious when some poor sap fielded one thinking that he could kill a lone MBT except he was under a tree, activated his flight module went up 10m and stayed put without his shield... Needless to say me and my gunner were laughing on teamspeak.
    • Up x 1
  15. Demigan

I hope the BFR's from PS1 aren't coming back. They serve a similar role as MBT's and having another vehicle in that role besides the Lightning and MBT wouldn't help much with the game unless it really is a special unit with limited access like only being able to build them at PMB's.

I would love to see something with a more intermediary role. For example, a Heavy MAX. MAX's are closer to infantry than vehicles, Heavy MAX would be closer to vehicles than infantry. About as high as a Sunderer and armed with things like an Aircraft MG it could easily perform an AI/AA support role, protecting armor columns from infantry and air attacks. The lack of a strong AV weapon and a low resistance against AV weapons would balance it out against vehicles and infantry alike.
  16. Fishpoke

Get a platoon of anything going and it's going to be a nightmare what with the teamwork and all. They were just way too durable when they first rolled out, the durability got scaled back nicely but the damage nerf was just over the top. When people stop using something, you know you over did it.

Surprising the jumper variant pilots did have some pretty hilarious tragic endings :D
  17. Fishpoke

The current MAX is completely underused, no more new things right now, thanks.
  18. Demigan

The current MAX wouldn't be much affected. Well that's a lie, the current MAX would suddenly have a very good reason to be around infantry because it would have more survivability and AV firepower to deal with such H-MAX's.

And just because the current MAX is underused, there's absolutely no reason not to add new stuff. In fact, adding new stuff to the MAX for example could really help him out. Like giving the MAX access to one-armed weapons that you can ADS with and a bit more firepower than most guns. That would be a nice trade-off compared to dual-wielding two weapons.
  19. Nobalification

I have an idea about how to spawn or how functioning BFR would be. What about these.

1. BFR will cost 700-750 Nanites and 2 000 Cortium.
    2. BFR can be spawned only in Warpgate or in Player Made Base which will need a special new module for spawning this beast.
    3. You can spawn only 3 BFR per Faction and Continent. So you can have 9 BFR on Indar for example and 9 on Esamir etc.
    4. BFR Would have kinetic shield which will need after depleting it, to ressuply or energize it again in ammo tower.
    5. BFR will have 2 seat option. Like Planetside 1 got it.
    6. There will be 4 slots for weapons. First pilot main arnament. Right hand, Left hand. Second pilot arnament. Right shoulder, left shoulder.
    7. Two types of movement. Walking, guns enabled. Running, guns goes offline so more energy is synchronized to power up legs.
    8. Empire Specific BFR´s, ES guns for BFR´s and ES traits for those BFR´s (TR-fast reload, movement speed, fast rof, big magazines. NC-Hard hitting weapons, guided missiles, Teamkilling preferences :3. VS-Long range weapons, beam weapons-like War of the World ones, Bigger damage at range)
    9. After killing one BFR, another can be spawned after 5 min cooldown.
    10. Kinetic shield generator, can be destroyed and after that repaired to again gain shield back up (separate health).
    11. Special abilities for BFR´s.
    TR-Berserk-Draining all energy from Shield Generator, which will explode after that, will grant TR BFR 25% bonus to damage deal and 50% for rate of fire.
    NC-Stronghold-After few seconds, NC BFR will anchor to the ground and will enter to calm state with active weapons only. While in calm state, all unused energy from other systems are converted to kinetic shield, raising it effectivness above 100%.
    VS-Phantom-VS BFR will sacrifice his speed for invisibility. While not moving, invisibility will recharge. Can´t shoot while invisible.
    12. Turning will be definetly same as tank. W, S as Forward and Backward and A, D as Turn Left, Turn Right. With mouse you will control the torso. There should be that thing that TR should move faster and turn faster, NC will got little bit more HP and VS got better shields.

So this is my wet dream boiz, what do you think? Should it be like that? Bare in mind that numbers are just here for telling you the idea of what i was thinking.