Are a Heavy's Shields Obsolete?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Warcasket, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Warcasket

This game is a head shot game. So much so that it would seem there are people (I'm not going to say how many, because it is so hard to prove it, but either people's head shot game is dead on or hacks are running rampant. My head shot game is very average compared to what other's seem to be from my perspective.) who are running with head shot hacks. Regardless of the authenticity of the hacks...the head shot game has become very pronounced in this game, to a point where it would appear that a Heavy's Shields/Armor is pretty much obsolete.

Even if we take the hacks part of my view out of the equation, I believe my analyses still stands...head shots in this game rules king over anything else, which indicates shields on a Heavy are either becoming obsolete, or have been so for longer than I have realized.

Is there merit to this? What are your thoughts?
  2. LaughingDead

Adrinoweave is for farming bad players. Resist is for any other leet nub.

Honestly I wish they'd come out with a headshot resistance suit slot. Not anything crazy like 100% headshot resistance, but something to counter leet players that always headshot. No one should be able to influence a fight as heavy as one unit can.
  3. Campagne

I think that would be a bad idea. Too many weapons rely on headshots to be effective as is.
  4. LaughingDead

Out of all the weapons, the only thing I could think of that would be bad for a headshot blocker is sniper rifles at long long ranges, tomoe and scout rifles that are already poop. I mean you're already giving a suit slot just to have a slightly better chance in a 1v1 that won't give you any benefits beyond it. No flak, no nano, no ASC, no grenades, or etc. Just that one 1v1. Seems fair to me.
    • Up x 1
  5. JKomm

The default shields still help when receiving head shots, it's just less noticeable. Also it is in no way shape or form "obsolete" the Heavy shields remain the most powerful, the most easy to use, and most rewarding infantry ability to use. Players do not even think about using it, it's a reaction at this point, this pushes it further away from being any sort of "skill" one might have.

But yes the notion that head shots are vital is true, but not every player is always obtaining them at any point in time... this would be true in nearly every single online shooter. Body shots are still extremely more commonplace than head shots, and as such the Heavy shield is still the top ability to use regardless, because it will always provide you with protection... and it even further's the gap between above average and below average players. There is one fact about these abilities that needs to be taken into consideration:

The Heavy Assault is not a class balanced to help new players, it is not a skill equalizer, it is a skill amplifier. This, in any video game, is terrible design. It helps good players more than bad players, and in turn it drives anyone else away because it's simply not built to be balanced or fair. I'll love the day when the shield receives a proper nerf, that alone would make this game amazing to play for everyone.
  6. FieldMarshall

For the shield to become obsolete most players would have to land mostly headshots all the time, which just doesent happen.

I wouldnt mind trading my Nanoweave/Flak for some sort of "helmet" that reduced headshot damage. Mainly for the snipers though.
    Nothing worse than when you are doing well and some random noob fired enough bullets in your general direction to finally land a headshot with a BASR.
    Though i fear it would screw over a lot of high-aim weapons that rely on headshots to get a decent TTK like for example the NS15, so i dont think it would work.
  7. entity009

Maybe they could make a armor where u run around naked exept for a big ******* helmet. No shields but 75% headshot resist. I bet people would still shoot at the head.
  8. The Shady Engineer

Overshields still allow you to survive 2-4 extra headshots depending on the weapon used, range it was used from and the type of overshield used. Definitely not obsolete.
  9. customer548

HA need a buff, for sure.
    I mean, they just have superior firepower, are able to noobtube any peasants around, to solo Maxes, to run away like Flash Gordon while spamming Medikits.
    And here come some useless noobs who are able to defeat them with a bit of ability at aiming in a proper way.
    Not cool. :(

I think we should buff HAs in large ways. Give them a bigger helmet.

[IMG]

Oh, and please give them a 75% resists armor for their bottom. I mean, it's not cool to be shot there while escaping.
    HA rocks.

Or just train at HSing your opponents too ? And be faster that they are ? Check your ping, get a decent mouse and mouse pad, and train ?
    "Competition"... .... Anybody ?
    • Up x 2
  10. Campagne

It would also be terrible for weapons like the Blackhand, which all ready require half of the mag to kill. With that, miss two shots and you're done, son. Would also be harmful to many pistols, which hold short range two-headshot-kills. Off the top of my head, Rebel/Cerberus, Underboss, Commie, Blackhand, and kinda the Magscatter... Basically it'd really screw over these weapons, most of which have fairly small magazines to begin with. Then there are weapons like the NS-15M and Emissary and co., which don't necessarily rely on headshots but typically suffer without a number of them.

There's also the argument that it punishes/counters/doesn't properly reward skill.
  11. FirePhox

Rework shields to be anti-max/anti-vehicle instead of anti-infantry
    Give them assault rifles

There you go, just fixed the class.
  12. breeje

yes head shots, this game is all about heat shots
    it took me a long time of playing before i adjusted my game play to head shots
    self training and discipline was needed to go for the head, what you can call skill level
    it's not really a skill level it's more of a reflex

now that i have this reflex i would hate if they changed the game
    i am still training myself to get better at head shots and the tomoe is a good weapon for this
    every time i played with the tomoe and change class with a other weapon it feels OP

4 years of training for better head shots, don't change this game, change the way you play
  13. Liewec123

if you're coming back after a long break it could very much seem like your shield is'nt working at all,
    heavy shields have been repeatedly nerfed over the years.
    indeed they're at a point now where if you take a series of headshots you'll be dead before you even realise you're being shot.

i miss the days when resist and nanoweave stacked, heavy assault felt like the real frontline brute class it is supposed to be.
    imho they should remove LMGs and make nanoweave and resist stack again, nerfing shields doesn't aid the brute class,
    and long range suppression weapons just encourage them to hide on the backline.
    we need to see more heavies wading in with jackhammers, mcgs and shotguns!
    :D
  14. customer548

So true.
    I see many Medics and Engis pushing, while HAs are "covering" them from behind.
    There are HAs doing their job (rush-push), but being "sniped" by a more or less camping HA from long distances is...yeah...
    • Up x 1
  15. Warcasket

I am guilty of that. I don't claim to be an ubber player though, I am very average. It would take you years just to find my name on the scoreboard, lol. However, I find any time I try to make a push, I am targeted out by the snipers or the Heavy Snipers and making a push just ends in my immediate death. So I feel I don't have much of a choice but to be a long range Heavy.
  16. Schizzle-Hopper

I just started playing again. It's been a while but the last I remember there was no protection for Heavy's from head shots even with maxed out shields. OR........Am I wrong? Please advise. Thanks
  17. Schizzle-Hopper

I think there was initially when we first started up but they nerfed the nanoweave and removed the protection for head shots due in large part to shredding every other class. At least that's my recollection. Then again......a couple of six packs of Pabst Blue Ribbons and I can recollect quite a bit:eek:. Not saying the shields are overpowered or anything of the sort. I'm good with all that. I usually go for the head no matter what unless they changed the multiplier. Did they?
  18. xXGenesisXx

When running knife, HA with shield on is my number 1 streak stopper.
  19. Eternaloptimist

Interestingly (to me anyway) I thought this was the HA role when I first started playing..............a high capacity LMG (traditionally a support weapon) with relatively poor hip fire and an overshield for prtection when laying down fire kind of shouts "ranged support".

I assumed the role of LA was to close in and capture objective with supporting fire and flank cover from HA, with support classes accompanying the LA to keep them in the game, play their part in the assault and consolidate gains - repairs, resupply, revives and heals, laying mines etc.until the HAs caught up and locked down any counter attack.

I soon learned otherwise although the buffs that LAs have benefited from directly (carbine flying CoF and Rocklet) and indirectly (thermals nerf) might take them out of the purely flank, ambush, tank hunter and roof hopper role a bit.

I have nothing particular against the HA overshield although I don't play HA any more. But it's sheer usefulness in CQC and 1v1 as well as being an aid to getting to the objective is a bit frustrating when you are an LA equipped with a high RoF CQC carbine, laser sight and SPA specifically for engaging planetmans at close quarters.
  20. customer548

They buffed the knife resists for HAs 1 year ago.