[Suggestion] Archer buff

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halkesh, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Halkesh

I think archer need to be more effective overall, especially against constructed modules and light vehicles (except valkyrie). And while we're at it, add a few attachments.

Current archer stats can be found here.

• Reduce chamber time to 1 sec (so its total chamber time is down to 1.25 sec instead of 1,75 sec)
    • New attachments :
      • Smoke launcher (rail)
      • Sabot ammunition (ammo) : allow archer bullets to go through any number of enemy infantry but remove its splash damage.
      • Concussive blow (ammo) : Enemy's aim is inverted when they receive a headshot, as if they has been hit by 2 concussion grenades. Remove archer splash damage.
    • Vehicles resistance to against archer* :
      • Valkyrie resistance to archer is increased to 0% (8 shot to kill, from 6)
      • ESF resistance reduced to -50% (5 shot to kill at 25m, from 6)
      • Flash resistance reduced to -50% (still 3 shot to kill, but at 80m instead of 25m)
      • Ant resistance reduced to 0% (10 shot to kill at 25m, from 14)
    • Construction (module) is more vulnerable to archer, so archer DPM is sligthly better than small weapons DPM against modules.
    * : don't forget archer will chamber faster.
    • Up x 1
  2. Campagne

In my opinion Sabot rounds and infantry-piercing mechanics in general should be limited to the Bishop and only the Bishop. Not on the Aphelion, not on the Archer, and not even on any future NC guns either. Does more harm than good, both for allies and enemies on the receiving end.

I do like the proposed damage resistance changes, though I think the current rechamber time is fine where it stands.
  3. Sazukata

I heard there was an Archer thread! Can't do one of these without me showing up. :p

The chamber time is fine. Reducing it any further would push the DPS too high.

A QoL change I would love is if it didn't cancel/discount the chambering if it's interrupted 95% of the way through (75% completion please).

Another thing I would like is for the chambering to be interruptible early in the animation for a reload. Currently it can only be done if R is pressed in the tiny window before the chambering starts.

----

The proposed attachments don't really seem necessary. If we wanted it to become less cumbersome/ineffective versus infantry, we could tighten up the ADS CoF and it's good to go.

----

Resistances could definitely use some tweaking, I agree. Specifically, it needs to one-clip an ESF within a decent distance. It currently takes 7 seconds to fire 5 shots, not counting time spent lining up the shots. Amping it up in this scenario would fulfill the cross-faction need for skill-based defensive AA.

I agree with toning it down a little vs Valkyries, as it does too much for a damage source that can't be dodged, flared, or easily located.

Flashes need to be 3-shotted out to long range, like before CAI. As with ESFs, hitting small & fast targets needs to be at least moderately rewarding.

ANTs should be more vulnerable to the Archer than a sundy for sure, but a 10 shot kill is a bit much. That puts it right above the Harasser at 9 shots. Drop it to 12 at most, in my opinion.

I agree that construction modules should be a bit more vulnerable to an anti-material weapon. I'm better off using my AI MANA turret with the current resistances.

----

Side note: the wiki is a bit inaccurate. MAXes die in 4 bodyshots or 2 headshot up to 60m, not 25 (I know this from personal testing).
    • Up x 1
  4. Skooma Lord

Here's a copy and paste from an old suggestion I had that would hopefully spice up the archer a bit and add more depth instead of just buffing it.:
    • Incendiary: Adds a damage over time effect to bullet. (Puts target on fire)
    • Velocity: Adds a significant amount of speed to the bullet in exchange for less damage.
    • E.M.P.: Multiple consecutive shots to enemy vehicles will slow them down and shut down weapon systems.
    • Big: Makes the bullet do more damage at the cost of a slower bullet and slower chamber speed.
    • Smart: Adds a lock-on effect to the bullet witch very very slightly aids the bullet to its target in exchange for less damage. (Only locks onto a M.A.X. or vehicle)
    • Semi-Auto: Makes the Archer semi-auto for a significant loss in damage.
    • Cryo: Adds a minor slow effect to infantry, slow effect and can eventually freeze M.AX. targets in place after many consecutive shots. This will make some more MAX units alert when getting repaired by many engineers out in the open. MAX will only be frozen for a second or so and can be reduced by hitting the movement keys rapidly.
    • Rocket: Damage at close to medium range is significantly lower than default ammo, but the bullet gains speed and damage as it travels. Rewards extreme long range shots.
    • Charge: Adds a charge mechanic to the archer to allow a high burst of damage when needed. After the charge is released there is cool-down to prevent too much damage. Rewards timing and is useful to those who wish to deal the final blow to a damaged max or vehicle.
    (To prevent these from becoming overpowered(if they aren't already) only one ammo type can be used at a time.)
  5. raffa2

As fun as it might be, it's not going to happen, the lancer and the gatekeeper were nerfed exactly for the reason that the devs do not want long range engagements from happening, and i can understand why with the current avarage hardware and difficulty at tackling infantry from long range.
  6. oOHansOo

Piercing sabot rounds would elevate the archer from dangerous to MAXes to outright overpowered against MAXes, since you would not only deal heavy damage to the MAX, but also get rid of their engi support at the same time, as they can use the fat-arsed MAX as cover anymore.
  7. AlcyoneSerene

One thing I'd like changed on the Archer is that really high recharge recoil, scoped and unscoped. There's no need for it being so excessive since you can't fire during that time anyways, it wouldn't translate into a buff since it's still possible to keep an eye on your targets through that screen shake. I don't even use the attachment to reload while ADS since that one is so severe and eye straining.
  8. Movoza

I get the feeling you're a frequent Valk flyer. Why it it singled out like that?

The ammo types are nice, although the concussion effect is more suitable on the LA, as their mission is confusion (yeah conc grenade should be on LA as well). The smoke is nice for concealment on the field as well

My problems with further improving the archer is it's long range power. Right now it does damage that isn't much on itself, but you feel it quite badly after a few. The speed and accuracy make it quite reliable compared to the rocket launchers. I never go in a tank without it to finish off dome tanks if mine us destroyed, or force them to retreat. Especially if you're with a buddy you can do surprising amoumts of damage that might go unnoticed until the tank is in a quite unfavourable position.
  9. Silkensmooth

Invisible infantry shooting your lib while you try, (even though you would rather be playing infantry) to counter the endless vehicle spam is super not fun. Already you aren't having fun because you have to fly a lib instead of playing infantry which is 1k times more fun.

So i vote no to archer buffs.

Unless.

You reduce the range so that retaliation is possible.