Anyway to turn off tells?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Some1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Some1

I'm really not interested in how someone thinks I'm playing the game wrong or wants to tell me they think I'm hacking or even worse, the gloating or the self praising that sometimes happens (aka trolling)

Sense that is the majority of the messages I receive I would rather just turn it off or at least be able to turn off the notification sound so its easier to ignore.
  2. Cinnamon

/ignore add playername
  3. Some1

why cant I /ignore /all?
  4. NinjaTurtle

This is a good question and one you should have maybe brought up a few weeks ago when they were asking for QoL additions for next weeks update
    • Up x 1
  5. Kolbax

Chances are that if people message you that much you ARE doing something wrong.

Or hacking and exploiting with 3rd party programs as much as NyaR does. In which case you deserve it. Treat people with respect and all you get is nice messages in my experience (both NA and EU) - and yes the occasional odd ball sure but nothing all that frequent, or that cant be sorted out with conversation.

I accidentally hit a guy with my ESF once when learning to fly, looked like I afterburned right into him to take him out. Reality was our squad leader got fed up of the air situation and I had poor flying ability back then (and didnt see him till it was too late.) Anyway after his rage tells talked it out, made a friend. Simple.

Perhaps stop being a *****. And in the very unlikely circumstances you arent - try being less anti-social.
    • Up x 2
  6. Bindlestiff

What about the perfectly valid case where I have the ability to turn off all voice chat, so that my 5 year old who loves the game doesn't have to listen to the trash talk and swearing, but cannot turn off the chat window? Sure, at 5 he can't read all words but it wont be long before he can.

Now before anyone starts lecturing on whether a 5 year old should be playing this game - save it. That isn't the point I'm discussing.

I see no reason why it cannot be an option, just like voice chat.
  7. FieldMarshall

Click the Items tab in the chatbox to get rid of all chat.
    • Up x 2
  8. dopy7dvs

Ahhh...Must be an A2A lock-on noob. You deserve those hate tells!
    • Up x 1
  9. z1967

When someone accuses me of hacking, having a lack of skill, and/or not being honorable or something like that I just do "/r lol" and continue playing the game. Some people are so silly :rolleyes:
  10. JokeForgrim

This is the solution, press ALT then click the items tab above the chat window.

I often switch it to squad or outfit chat just so I don't see all the yells.

This guy gets it!
    • Up x 2
  11. NC_agent00kevin

If you're getting that much hate, you might review your interaction with others. Some is normal, a lot is abnormal.

Personally, I like the tears and also enjoy chatting with good natured enemies most of the time. I was kind of an *** to one guy who had been trying to C4 my max for at least an hour in a Biolab fight recently though. He sent me a tell when he did manage to catch me near a rooftop and get me. I was already aggravated because there were at least 3 of them totally obsessed with C4ing me. It tends to wear on you when people make it their only goal in the game to kill you and only you for extended periods of time. Later I felt like a jerk, but it happens.
  12. Canaris

take them as a compliment of how great you're doing, that's how I get by ;)
  13. Maphreal

I'm in the same boat with my 9 year-old step-son. The game itself is really mild, but it's the players I worry about. What I've done as a workaround is set up some strict rules about the game, and if they get broken the game will be uninstalled. He is to only play with me, he has to join my squad and bring up the squad text chat, he is to inform me immediately if anyone sends him tells, friend invites and the like, and he is not to speak to any players but me. Proxy voice is disabled but we use squad chat so we don't have to try to yell across the house.

These rules coupled with a keylogger and a whole suite of parental goodies has made for a positive experience in this game and other online games. I've used the few trolls he has encountered as examples of what not to do, I explained to him that talking smack over a video game is cowardly and poor sportsmanship, and that the people who do it often have problems in their life that they can't or won't deal with, so they take out their anger on others behind the safety of a monitor. They are to be pitied, not emulated.
    • Up x 2
  14. NinjaTurtle

I was getting some hate tells the other evening from a particularly disgruntled TR player because I killed him one too many times with the Razor GD-23 which is a Carbine

You don't have to be doing anything wrong or cheesy. Some people just hate losing
  15. NoctD

I'd like a way to ignore squad invites, not just tells, etc.

/dnd
  16. ColonelChingles

Huh. Parenting through PS2. Who would have thought?

I some ways I guess it even works out better than taking him to baseball or soccer practice. After all in those children's sports games only the child participates while the parent watches... whereas PS2 encourages direct interaction and reliance between parent and child.

Though exercise is important too!
    • Up x 2
  17. SeanFree

Just send them something trolly back and /ignore.

I prefer Get Dunkt On Baddy and then end the conversation. Hence my outfit.
  18. Some1

That appears to be everyone I meet in this game. They think they are the best pro MLG no scope 360#swag and then they find out they suddenly aren't and just cant handle it.

its mostly in small fights where the e-peans are at their biggest and hardest.
  19. Some1

I prefer to quote totalbiscit with "The salt is real" or the good ol standby, "get good"

The problem comes from when I'm busy fighting and cant take the time to enter the command to ignore them. So the messages just keep comeing over and over again and it gets annoying fast.
  20. Ronin Oni

As been stated, just change channel tabs at the top of the screen.

'Alt' to get your mouse cursor, then click on the outfit/squad or Item tabs.

Now you'll live free of tells, yells, etc.

Really though... I don't see the big deal. Someone calls me a bad name I don't get my feelings hurt... I laugh.