Anyone tried the closed beta yet?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eternaloptimist, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Eternaloptimist

I just had a go and (I know its early days) and I thought it was utterly awful. The graphics look inferior to the main game. You land with just a knife and have to run about looking for loot boxes to get a gun. Movement is not as responsive to commands as the main game............and to make it worse, I now have to install PS2 again to play.

I might take another look after arena has been running for a bit but on the whole, I doubt it will have any interest for me
    • Up x 3
  2. HippoCryties

Yeah TBH it’s ok but performance was running at about 30 FPS since you can’t turn off shadows and effect like wtf
    • Up x 1
  3. Eternaloptimist

Well, that certainly doesn't help as my computer is probably also marginal in its ability to handle the game - which makes me think maybe it is my rig that is the problem with the colours looking a bit disney-ish and all (plus the poor responsiveness).

Apart from that, I guess I should be fair and say that I just didn't take to the gameplay of a battle royale and that is a personal preference more than anything else.

I will have another go but so far I haven't sussed out the interface controls. Having to start afresh every time I'm killed without having saved anything I picked up was a bummer, as was the delay in waiting for a battle to start and trying to find it (and some kit again) after the fleet carrier drop.

Having a tutorial like the newbie intro to PS2 would help novices like me maybe? Not sure where feedback from closed beta gets posted yet..........
    • Up x 1
  4. AlcyoneSerene

NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement - you signed this when joining the closed beta test, just a heads-up to fellow planetmans to avoid trouble.
  5. strikearrow

• Up x 1
  6. Voodoo4500

Played it last night for an hour.

Performance: As far as performance the game runs very well. I have a GTX 1080TI and FPS never dipped below 120fps with everything maxed out (except for Shadows at Medium) at 1440p while in the hanger area with dozens of players. The beta only had access to Battle Royal mode.

Graphics: IMO the game looks good but not as good as PS2 but hey it's BETA. While certain parts of it seem more detailed there is just something about it that makes it look "flat" and less "3D" like as if everything gets blended together and flattened before it gets displayed to your monitor. I'm sure it's the same (forced) FXAA anti-aliasing being used that is causing this. Also the colors and certain styling make the game more cartoonish compared to PS2. The NS guns you start with actually look really cool.

Gameplay "feel": The game doesn't feel like PS2. It feels like a console game that was ported to PC, kind of like OverWatch but we were only able to test Battle Royal mode. As others have said, you start out with a knife and have to run to the nearest loot box to get a gun, ammo, shield upgrades and many other new goodies :D . I'm not sure how the character progression works but it seem players that have leveled up start out with a gun which is ridiculous for a Battle Royal game, everyone should start equally. If you don't find a gun in the first minute or two of playing the game you are DEAD. Guns feel good and similar to PS2 but have different characteristics.

There were no voice comms in Battle Royal mode, no proxy voice chat, and not even regional text chat at least none that I could have found.

With all these loot boxes and items scattered on the map, this game feels like PS2 + Quake 3 + Destiny 2 all mashed into one.
    • Up x 1
  7. Gaucher

Look..
    Warcraft _-_ World of Warcraft,
    Same IP but different games.

Planetside2 _-_ Planetside Arena,
    Same IP but different games.

1. I love Planetside IP
    2. I like Battle Royals
    3. I had fun playing it

Yesterday I played Planetside Arena Close Beta and I liked it.

I'm a Planetside2 player for almost 6 years (2500+hours in action), the only BR I ever played is PUBG maybe like 100hours total.
    Planetside Arena will be in my game rotation for sure because I wanted a battle Royal to play but none was really interresting to me.
    I really like the focus on survival and gun-play PSA brings over the team-work and fast pace battles PS2 have, both being great in my opinion. I see myself switching from PS2 to PSA in one night, depending on how I feel or if my outfit on or not.

The BRs games are in explosion right now. Peoples who really love them wants more GOOD games of that genre.
    The timing is near perfect since the marketing will be FREE for the targeted public//consumers from the big streamers who play BR.
    PSA could really stand its ground on this battlefield and bringing in the same time lots exposure for Planetside2.
    Both games will benefits from each since, I'm sure, lots of new content from PSA will be added to PS2 at some point in the futur.

Now, WE, as a community. Have to behave nice and show support for the team who work on both games. Not many other games bring on the table this near perfect Quality//Quantity//Fun ratio and WE have to show to way to new players.

WE, the Planetside community, are the biggest asset they have. We are the blood of the battle flow. Don't shoot ourselves in foots by being spoiled or negative. Pump steady and hard and reach higher.

It a new age, fresh and unexplored. What are you gonna do about it?
    PLAY FAIR//PLAY FUN//PLAY HARD

Edit; Far from a perfect product bare with me please. I'm just pretty sure they can polish and balance it over time.

• Up x 1
  8. Voodoo4500

Nobody is hating on Planetside Arena (yet) after playing the BETA. The core foundation of the game seems to work fine. The biggest problem for me was the lack of proxy voice chat or even a regional/yell text chat. There was no way to communicate with any of the other players. At least I couldn't find a way. Hope they add something when the game is released. Everything else I saw I took with a grain of salt as it's going to change.
    • Up x 1
  9. Rydenan

I can't say I loved it, but it wasn't terrible. My favorite parts were:
    + No MAXes or Infiltrators (there were still sniper rifles, but at least they were semi-auto, and the users couldn't turn invisible)
    + No ESFs or Libs
    + Neat hubworld with great Mass Effect-style music
    • Up x 1
  10. strikearrow

Chat could kinda defeat the purpose of BR mode....coordination is not supposed to happen.
  11. Voodoo4500

That's not the purpose of proxy chat in a Battle Royal game. It has nothing to do with it. Its about interacting with the other players. Any modern Battle Royal game will fail without it.
  12. Pacster3

You mean telling them something about their mothers? ;-)
    • Up x 3
  13. icufos

Haven't tried it yet but thank the God of heavily buttered toast that someone has brought out an FPS where the characters are not cartoony!:eek:

It'll be a hit for just that.
    I'm going to give it a few weeks before going in. Let them get a bit more done.:cool:
  14. Voodoo4500

Sorry to burst your bubble but PlanetSide Arena certainly is cartoonish compared to PS2. The colors and model styles PlanetSide Arena scream cartoons
    • Up x 2
  15. icufos

From the the vid they didn't look what I would call cartoony to me....but I've not played it yet.[IMG]
  16. Andy04

"Far from a perfect product bare with me please. I'm just pretty sure they can polish and balance it over time"
    It's been over 6 years for planetside 2 and they have still yet to polish it and give anything worth while. But we shall see. From what I have seen it will be a long wait.
    • Up x 2
  17. strikearrow

(EA games) Titanfall's Apex Legends battle royale (60 players ftp) was scheduled to release today - I think PSA has missed the boat. The only thing PSA has is more players.
  18. XRIST0

Dead on arrival, I was excited at first .. but they continually keep showing the same crap over and over and over again .. nothing at all has made me hyped about this game, DBG absolutely suck at marketing.

I signed up for the Beta but ofcoarse I didn't receive a key.. So ofcoarse Daybreak aint receiving a dollar from me.
    • Up x 1
  19. MaxTwelve

Played 3-4 matches of the 300 version. Three man teams and our voice chat for team was working.

I am not really much of a BR player, too much waiting for a fight. I'm not the best so i spend 20 plus minutes waiting for a 5 minute fight.

Tough for Daybreak to have Apex Legends release F2P yesterday. Looks to be a direct competitor.
    • Up x 1
  20. JobiWan

I tried the 3 man teams mode for about an hour. It had some fun elements but I was mostly bored. Spent ages running round opening boxes and running from the crazy pain fields.

Saw some tiny figures on a mountain in the distance, we traded a few shots without hitting each other. Then got insta-gibbed by someone with an SMG.

At one point I was faced with another 3 man team who all had decent guns and I still only had my knife, it's random who finds the best stuff first.

Graphically I wasn't that impressed. It looked nice but it didn't look like Planetside to me. Too bright and colourful. It looked more like a console game.

I'll give it a fair go but my early impression that the gameplay was boring and it's not for me. There's a lot of down time then when you make enemy contact it's over in seconds.
    • Up x 1