Anyone Tried Planetside 2 on Windows 10 yet?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zeradatul, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Zeradatul

Really want to install it on my main desktop. My only real hangup is Planetside2 being able to run.

Any super bleeding edge people out there? Does it run at all?
  2. Jac70

Runs perfectly, or rather it runs as good as it does on any other OS :eek:
    • Up x 1
  3. drstrange2014

Yes and it runs sluggishly so far, though I have W10 running in a virtual machine. I posted a link in the forums for those interested in testing it for PS2 but the thread was deleted. No surprise there.
  4. Smagjus

I would think about that twice. Even though you may not bother that every keyboard and mouse input gets directly sent to Microsoft you could violate the term and services of the sites you use - resulting in warnings or bans.

The OS is still an early preview. Using it on your main desktop is generally a bad idea.
    How did you get it running in a VM? I didn't have any luck with GPU passthrough on my nvidia which was to be expected.
  5. Jerox

You might wanna stay away from using it as your main OS given that it's just a tech preview.
    Things might not be that stable so yeah, it's on your own risk.
    • Up x 1
  6. Napsterbater

Personally I do run it as my Main/Only OS on my gaming/everyday machine, but everything important is stored/kept on a server so even if the OS blows up I haven't lost anything, I'm not saying dont do it, but be prepared for any compatibility issues and be prepared to lose everything at the drop of a hat and if it happens don't complain, provide feedback BUT DO NOT COMPLAIN.

Personally I have not run in to any compatibility issues, and seems like if something works with 8.1 then it works with 10/TP as well unless there is an artificial limitation by the software (i.e. It refuses to run on anything thats not Vista/7/8/8.1 but this is rare).

And Planetside 2 runs just a good on Windows 10/TP as it does on Windows 8.1 my system.
  7. PWGuy93

Anyone tried installing Win10 Tech Preview it as a Hyper-V instance from within Windows 8.1?
    Haven't gotten around to it yet, but that's how I hope to test it.
  8. drstrange2014

9. Siilk

Heh, the irony. But I suppose we can't complain. After all, it runs worse on a *nix or android...
    • Up x 1
  10. Jerox

Not sure why you're telling me this as I'm not the one considering to move to Windows 10 Technical Preview, but whatever I guess.
  11. Jerox

I tried to install it on a vm, but for some reason it hangs at the loading screen even before the install started or any menu appeared.
    Probably something I'm doing wrong in the settings or something. Haven't looked it up yet.
  12. JudgeNu

I have win7, I didn't realize there was even an windows 10?!
    I have heard of the failed win8 but 10? already?
    how was win9? lol
  13. Smagjus

There were a lot of disrupted downloads in the beginning. Try to verify if your image is okay.
  14. Napsterbater

There is no 9.
  15. PWGuy93

For anyone interested, scrolled across this article
    Guide: How to install Windows 10 using VHDs

Note: The article uses Diskpart instead of what I would recommend, using a separate drive.
    It's a technical preview, not something I want on my main drives...

As always I recommend doing a back up first, make a system image you can do a full restore from.

For some nerd enjoyment or perhaps context on what Hyper-V can do, here's a video from a true nerd on setting
    up Hyper-V in Win 8.1.
  16. drstrange2014

For those having difficulties, also do check your bios and see if you need to enable virtualization there before setting up a VM.
  17. anitbot

Reasonably, you should not test it in a VM. Just install and ready.
  18. Smagjus

You slipped in a "not" in there. I fixed that for you.
  19. squish103

I was running fine with windows 10 until the last update. Now PS2 crashes while it is starting. I end up on the desktop.
    • Up x 1
  20. Napsterbater

Actually if you are truly looking for a true way to look for bugs and performance he is right you should not test it in a VM, test it on bare metal, if you can't or are not comfortable doing that then maybe you shouldn't be testing it.
    • Up x 1