Anyone NOT like the Gauss SAW?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Starlight288, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Psykmoe

I can't really nail down why I enjoy the SAW S as much as I do (I use it on an alt to be cert efficient on my first NC where I certed the EM6 already). Perhaps it's because it has smoother recoil than the EM6 due to a lower FSRM and not making me chose between terrible velocity or HVA.
  2. Epic High Five

If you want to shake and shimmy while you shoot, then you want the GD-22S. The SAW S also gets SPA, but is worse on the move (at least in my experience, don't have the stats) and is really more like an EM6-S except it gets HVA for free. They're both very good generalist/flexible guns, though I consider the 22S to be the superior of the two.

Personally I've absolutely fallen in love with the GD-22S since PU02. The Anchor is also good but I don't think the extra kick is worth the 23rpm, as the 22S is buttery smooth to fire. Also, for a new player, the Anchor certainly isn't 10x better than the GD-22S like its cost reflects.

I use a laser or grip on my 22S and honestly it works well at CQC hipfire and long range burst sniping really well with either, so I guess go with whatever you think looks nicest? I use the grip usually, it looks pretty cool.

edit - I've also been using a suppressor on my 22S almost exclusively now. Doesn't seem to give it any real downside at the ranges you'd use an AR-style LMG at and it's real nice to stay off the minimap and be as stealthy as full Industrial Mix camo allows. Doesn't sound as cool though :(
  3. McToast

Moin

Just got the auraxium medal for the Gauss SAW. Used it with adv. grip + 2x reflex sight or 3,4x scope.

I can't really compare, as the only other LMG I have is the EM6 and I don't have many kills with it, but looking at the Gauss SAW alone I have to say I fell in love with it during the last 200-300 kills. It was a pain to use before I got my new PC, because you can't really controll the recoil with only 20-25 fps. And it definitely is a bad starter weapon, as it takes time and experience to get accustomed to this weapon. The EM6 would have been a better choice I guess, as it's easier to controll while keeping the NC high-dmg trait.

I mainly used the Gauss SAW for midrange fire support when playing in squads. It's godly at ~20-80m in my opinion. Only downside for me is that it requires constant ADS or you won't hit anything. And I don't like ADS >_>. I'll try out some of the other LMG now, maybe I revise my assessment :).
  4. EsDee

Glossing over 11 pages to put in my 2 certs

As a non-NC, the only problem I have with the Gauss SAW is that it's the only default LMG with access to both HV ammo and the advanced forward grip (none of the VS LMGs can use the latter).
  5. KnightCole

Gauss SAW kinda needs the AFG, otherwise it would be a total nightmare to use. Its not like it has really high Horiz recoil, but adding Horiz recoil on top of Slow RoF, horrid hipfire, bad CoF bloom, long *** reload....ouch.
  6. kaolla

real problem would be that it a starting weapon that need full cert on grip and canon cert to be usefull, at short range hipfire you can miss more than a shotgun pellet would

but i love it, good for sniping, even if in 1v1 i will lose if i don't hit first because low RoF
  7. EsDee

...Even without the AFG the Gauss SAW has better aimed accuracy than any sniper rifle. If you were to do HV ammo, AFG, and Compensator, your min TTK@102m (0.96s) is only slightly slower than the Orion @65m (0.8s with perfect accuracy, G'luck) with a predictable, tiny amount of ADS spread and a bullet velocity comparable to, again, bolt action sniper rifles. In cqc, their TTKs are identical.
    I'm not complaining about it being overpowered, I'd just like to see at least one VS LMG with AFG and SP ammo taken off the Flare and put on the Orion. From the standpoint of modularity,
    NC LMGs
    1 with both HVA and SPA,
    2 with HVA
    2 with SPA
    2 with AFG
    2 with ALS
    TR
    2 with both HVA and SPA,
    2 with HVA
    1 with SPA
    1 with AFG
    1 with ALS
    VS
    1 with both HVA and SPA,
    2 with HVA
    1 with SPA
    0 with AFG
    1 with ALS

Leaving them with the least modular LMG arsenal...
  8. EsDee

Oh and before anyone says it, I'm well aware of the wicked recoil the SAW has during sustained fire; 1-2 shots bursts with about 200ms of delay are what I was referring to there :p
  9. Botji

I think you are all crazy. Why would you use forward grip on a gun with like 0 horizontal recoil?

I use laser point instead, its nice to not have to use the aimed fire in CQC... SAW actually has a decent COF with the laser pointer taped to it.
    • Up x 2
  10. WarmasterRaptor

Interesting, haven't tested that set-up yet.

What else do you have on it?
  11. KnightCole

I have run the SAW with suppressor and Laser as well as laser and no suppressor. It really does work fairly well.

I just run AFG on NC6 so as to all but totally remove atleast one portion of the gun's recoil. Its to make the gun as easy to handle as possible. No need to make it any more annoying to handle then It needs to.
  12. sauna

Yes, I don't like the SAW any longer. Due to the 2 hour and 48 minute long reload time.
    I have auraxium on them all, as well as NS-15M.

After having played with Carv/Orion (especially Orion, damn that gun is nice!), I do better with Blitz or Warden atm :).
  13. Botji

Well a sight ofc and high velocity ammo, usually have the 1x sight but I have LX tacti-eye 3.4x and IRNV too wich I use from time to time. I have little problem handling the recoil so the compensator doesnt do much for me(have it unlocked but since it sort of counters the laser I dont use it anymore).

Since I saw sauna bring up the Orion I want to say that its is overrated, its great at what it does but what it does isnt really what I at least want from a LMG. Orion is good against 1-2 enemies, more than that you are really stretching your ammo thin. Carv and especially SAW you can gun down 6-7 people easily before needing to reload. When I play VS and used the Orion I ran out of ammo constantly while SAW is just killing potential galore.
    • Up x 1
  14. BadLlama

Gauss SAW with advanced Grip and Iron Sights is all you need. Thing is a monster that just devours people whole.
    • Up x 1
  15. KnightCole

Yeah, I gotta say the Gauss SAW with irons is surprisingly accurate.
    • Up x 1
  16. lilleAllan

I'm with this guy.

SAW with iron sights and adv foregrip has next to no recoil.
    Forget the compensator - worse hipfire and pinging on minimaps 80 m away is a terrible trradeoff for slightly less horizontal recoil.
  17. Inkydog

I've been debating about the compensator. You can try things in VR all day long but you never really know until you use it in combat. I really didn't want to use that many certs on it not knowing. I'll just pick up the suppressor then and call it a day.
  18. Degenatron

Yea, me.

Double Auraxiumed it before I started trying other guns. I'll never go beck to it.

Every single claim of it being OP stems from one flawed assumption: "Every bullet fired will hit its target."

The SAW bucks like a wild bronco and the CoF blooms extremely fast. By the third bullet, you are missing the target unless you are >5m away. And at that range you're only going to beat other LMGs. Shotguns and SMGs still cut you down much faster at that range.

I switched first to the EM6 and saw an immediate increase in my KDR to above 1:1. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a stream where the player was using the LA1 Anchor. I decided to take it for a spin and now I'm regularly going 3:1 or better. The accuracy and RoF is what makes the LA1 so much better. I can engage targets at a longer range and score more headshots. It's a far superior weapon to the SAW. I'll never go back.
  19. Degenatron

20. Psykmoe

That's more a story of how you were bad for 1000-2000 kills and are now good, and not a story of how the Anchor has a higher effective range than the SAW, though.