Anyone else just poop themselves a little watching higby's mmorpg.com stream?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ripshaft, May 21, 2013.

1. Ripshaft

Just wondering, because I might have... He was just asked about perma cloak with pistol like in ps1, and Higby outright said "yes, this is coming in the infil update" - He said secondary, but no primary, but you'll also be able to do some interesting things with melee....

Honestly, I'm a little worried at this idea, but lets see how it plays out. He also has said a number of times in the past that cloak needs more counterplay... so keep that in mind...
    • Up x 1
  2. Domonvoi

Confirmed the above....
    Timeframe ~2 months from now

Also did need to pick up Jaw from floor.....
  3. Badvok

I'm watching as well and just got stupidly excited when he said that!
  4. LibertyRevolution

Does that mean you cannot carry a primary weapon at all to use that feature?
    As in the slot would be empty or we talking just press 2 for infinite cloak?

They should make them show up under HS/NV and thermal, cloak should not block body heat.
    The fact I can no longer ADS on 1 class really ticks me off.. specially seeing they are running around with an SMG..
  5. Khyrin

First they would make cloaks actualy cloak you, not make you a defenseless target.
    I mean, even a cloaked, not moving infiltrator is not that hard to spot, and moving ones are just aksing to get shot.
    • Up x 1
  6. Syphers

2 months ?#@#? The UFOs/NWO end game deception will maybe happen before that.
  7. Helwyr

Long overdue, hopefully hacking will be expanding as well.

As for some comments above about NV/Thermal... no, that should not see cloaked Infiltrators, actually there should be suit options for regular Infantry to block that imagery. Now if SOE were to bring back Dark Light (which could see cloaks in PS1) the reasonable expectation would be that cloaks would essentially be invisible to everyone else when stationary to compensate, not the relatively easy to see cloaks we have now.
  8. Khyrin

Maybe make Darklight Infil exclusive, so Infils have to hunt Infils.
    • Up x 4
  9. Aimeryan

Makes sense; it is a really unique playstyle that is very poorly catered for at the moment. I haven't watched the stream - does he mention anything about more things to hack and sabotage? The playstyle with out the objectives would be a little pointless.

There is also still the question of how easily seen the cloak will be - if it is like the Hunter cloak I doubt it will work for it's intended use (which I am presuming is the playstyle from Planetside).

Still, it can not be overstated how important such a statement is for everyone who has been asking for an alternative to the combat-orientated version we have at the moment.
  10. ArcKnight

that worries me to no end

I wonder what " the guy who supposed to make sure stuff works but ends up ruining it" has in mind
  11. Dramma Lamma

12. Sandpaperypaper

Okay, what I want to know is how people can't figure out the cloak... cause that's what I'm getting from this discussion so far. That and, permacloak might become a "thing".

Seriously. Yes, a moving Infiltrator that's cloaked is something that can be seen..... when they're out in the open in broad day light. The cloak works off shadows guys. The less light that's in an area, the less likely someone is going to see you, moving or not. Only times I ever get spotted when I'm cloaked, is when I'm dumb enough to run out into the open in someones field of vision during the day time.

Day time: Stay still when the enemies are looking in your general direction, don't make sudden movements unless you have to. In large crowds, your less likely to be seen and at best you'll just get hit by a stray bullet.

Lowlight areas: Stick to the shadows while cloaked, again, keep stationary in the brighter spots until it's safe to move. Hide in any nooks you can find if your cloak needs to recharge.

Night time: Stay OUT of the moonlit areas and stick to the darkest spots there are and... EGADS... No one will see you!

Seriously. This isn't hard stuff to figure out. So do explain... Why the hate for the cloak?
    • Up x 1
  13. Hoki

Implant for silent footsteps confirmed.
  14. LibertyRevolution

Well if I can run around permacloaked with no footsteps and a shotgun pistol, I may just play me some infiltrator...
  15. Syphers

And yeah awesome indeed
  16. Dr. Euthanasia

Because we don't have power over the day and night cycle or the perspective from which our opponents see us. It's far more reliable to just not use the cloak, because even under the most ideal circumstances it still comes down to a test against someone else's perception that no skill of yours can eliminate.

Why wouldn't I hate a cloak which:

1. Gives me no indication of how well it's working against a given observer?

2. Allows that observer to see me regardless of how hard I try to prevent that?

3. Punishes me when I am inevitably caught through no fault of my own, by preventing me from fighting back?
  17. D-Spirith

Just about time, good.
  18. Aimeryan

Why the rant?

I don't think anyone in this thread said they hated the [Hunter] Cloak (at least before your post) - just that it is not fit for the purpose of which they want. Your own "tutorial" pretty much equates this - they can not do what they want with the Hunter Cloak and instead have to do what that cloak is intended for. Fine, makes sense. However, there should therefore be a cloak that does cater to the other playstyle.

For reference, we know the strengths of the Hunter Cloak; helps with escaping and blockade running via causing increased hesitation, confusion, and possibly making you more difficult to track.

You don't use the cloak for remaining undetected since it is very poor at that (still quite visible, loud noises, short duration); that doesn't mean it does not have other strengths (mentioned in the above paragraph). It does however mean that for players who wish to play a playstyle reliant on remaining undetected the Hunter Cloak is not going to be that useful. This is the very reason players are asking for a Planetside-style cloak, and it seems Higby is listening and agreeing with this.
  19. Astraka

Whatever they do, I really hope they don't ruin the current implementation of the Infiltrator.
    • Up x 3
  20. Get2dachoppa

Like not being able to fire while cloaked, having 100 less shields than any other class, making an obnoxiously loud (and faction specific) sound while cloaking and uncloaking, being detected on scout radar while uncloaked or recon darts while cloaked, or just plain being seen when someone looks in our direction? That's not enough counterplay?

I dunno, if having access to a perma-cloak option means increased counters against Infiltrators they should be careful it doesn't totally ruin our already existing cloaks.
    • Up x 1