Any TR tried the TAR yet?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Maderas, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Maderas

I like the looks of the accuracy and firing speed, but I'm scratching my head over a CQC hipfire AR with such a massive reload time. How is it?
  2. CrimsonDaemon

Reload time feels very similar to the TRV, which despite the reload time, was and still is a juggernaut of CQC. I feel like the TRV was given the hipfire nerf to make way for the TAR. Though numbers will measure how they stack up. Though an hour or so with the TAR has been promising and might be my new favorite with the foregrip.
  3. Maderas

Haven't tried it with the foregrip, is it noticeable?

It's pretty insane with an Advanced Laser Sight on it, thing is as accurate with hipfire as a T1S aiming down the sight at ~15 meters. It's actually almost too accurate, if your reticule is off by a tiny amount in CQC you can miss shots that you'd land with other guns in hipfire.
  4. Naithe

I know its for hip fire but its accuracy is abysmal according to stats, how is it with ADS? How long range does it seem to have?
  5. TribecaNYC

After spending station cash on the TRV and 230 cert points to trick it out. I feel a bit ripped off now that it has had its hip fire nerfed to make room for the TAR.
  6. ackerx

If you cert everything on TAR. It will be insane CQC assault rifile. But if you want be a assault medic. I'd just pick up Nighthawk.
    Also this gun eat AMMO VERY FAST. So you have to make sure when you need reload because reload time is pain.
  7. }{ellKnight

I'm sort of in the same boat. I bought the TRV a day before they announced the TAR XD. But then again there's quite the difference in certs between 1000 cert gun and a 250 cert gun. It feels like a marketing strategy but then again weapons and such are always subject to change in an online game.
  8. exLupo

Looking forward to seeing the data dumps updated to get the paper comparison.
  9. ChipMHazard

I know how you feel.
  10. }{ellKnight

11. KodiakX

I imagine it'll be the same as the Lynx vs Jaguar. The new Jaguar Carbine basically trades off around 50 ROF for better base recoil and better hip fire. A speed vs Accuracy choice. So far testing with trials the new TAR (Jaguar) shows basically the same thing compared to the TRV (Lynx).
  12. CrimsonDaemon

After a couple more hours with the gun with the foregrip, it feels rather similar to the TRV, albeit, a very bastardized TRV. I don't have any hard numbers so I'm just going off of how it feels compared to the TRV so take it with a grain of salt.

I've been rocking the same setup on the TAR that I use for the TRV (Araxium Medal) so I suppose you could say I know the feel of the gun. I've felt more vertical recoil than the TRV, definitely more horizontal recoil that is hard to predict, but the foregrip removes a lot of the side to side play under sustained fire. Definitely feels like the TAR recoils vertically a lot more violently than the TRV so pull down against the recoil isnt as effective, but still doable. Though the rate of fire, at least according to the in game stats, is slightly slower than the TRV, but also has (according to the game stats again) a slower reload time. Though actual numbers will prove how they fit together.

Overall, I think the TAR is a disappointment. It looks way too similar to the other medic guns, does what the TRV already did exceptionally well, and feels odd. I honestly would have prefered a more NC feeling gun with more recoil, lower rate of fire, and something like a 20 or 30 round magazine. I would have also accepted a gun modeled after the old PS1 Cycler with the teardrop 50 round magazine.
  13. Maderas

I absolutely love it now that I'm using a foregrip. It's still beastly at hipfire even without any laser sight and I've been killing people at midrange using ADS without any problems. I actually like it more than I did the TRV for whatever reason; maybe it's just the sound it makes when shooting.

My only regret is that I dropped 200 certs on the advanced laser sight before realizing the foregrip was a better investment.
    • Up x 2
  14. }{ellKnight

Does foregrip help with hip fire as well or only ADS?
  15. gunshooter

It helps with hipfire, but when you're hipfiring recoil really isn't an issue at all.

Using an advanced laser weapon without the advanced laser is just pointless. At that point you might as well be using a different weapon entirely, the attachment IS the weapon.
  16. Morrow

Got to get a foregrip for it but to me it seems not very damaging. don't know why but for its RoF I seem to have to hit people for a while :p
  17. }{ellKnight

Yeah, good point.

I have adv. laser and 2x reflex on my TRV and was wondering about getting the forward grip instead. Depending on range I spray in hip fire or go ADS and spray at slightly longer ranges (those ranges still being short though) or ADS and burst at medium+. Burst firing on the TRV is surprisingly effective.

ATM I'm saving up my certs for soft point ammo for my TRV and afterwards I was thinking about getting forward grip and compensator for my T1S (I have it outfitted as a longer range gun with a 3.4x and high velocity ammo).
  18. Ipecac

I was going to make a longwinded post on why it might not be good to get soft point ammo over standard, but I've forgotten how to make simple graphs and it makes me sad. The point was that the bonuses probably don't outweigh the penalties, but at the same time if you think it's neat, by all means go for it.
    • Up x 1
  19. }{ellKnight

Well, it's "only" 100 so I grabbed it. As you point out I'm still not sure it's that useful but meh. On to compensator and grip for the T1S :)
  20. Soothsayer

I like the TAR, coming from using the TRV almost exclusively.

My TRV had a 3.4 scope, I went with the reflex on the TAR and I find it really suits my playstyle better. I now have it all fitted out with soft point and foregrip, haven't tried the foregrip yet though. I found even without the grip I was able to manage the recoil pretty well.

I also really like the aesthetics of the weapon as well, it sounds so much better than the TRV. Superficial, but I still noticed.