Any suggestions on how to improve?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Badgerbomb, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Badgerbomb

I play NC and my loadout is:
    Hunter cloak: level 4
    Nanoweave: level 3(working on it)
    Silenced blitz with laser sight
    Commisioner with laser sight
    Motion spotter
    Currently using med kit

i have a fair ammount of skill playing as this kind of infiltrator but i want some tips from any pros out there. Firstly, should i upgrade my nanoweave or get the personnel mines? Also, should i stay with groups of friendlies or go full on stealth behind enemy lines. Im not sure what playstyle i have yet but i want to see what works for people out there, atm im just running and gunning mostly.
  2. ProfNoodles

I am in the same boat. I play NC as well.

Nano Armor Cloaking
    Nanoweave
    Silenced Cyclone with Laser Sight
    NCs normal pistol silenced
    Dart Gun
    Med kit

I have learned to not take enemies head on. Instead, I just shoot them from the back when running or when they aren't paying attention.
  3. Badgerbomb

W
    whats the difference between the dart thingy and motion spotter? Any benefits to the dart gun?
  4. ProfNoodles

Motion Spotter is real time basically. I like the dart because I can ping a building to see if it is clear or not to proceed and how many are in there. I am not going to try to take a room with 3 people.
  5. Navron

You should try it at some point.
    • Up x 1
  6. ProfNoodles

I have. I normally die after I take out the second one. I am already squishy enough. I don't need something like that to prove it even more so.
    • Up x 1
  7. CuteBeaver

Well think of it this way. If your winning 1v2 ambushes with an SMG your doing something right :)

To transition create an advantage and learn to reset the engagement. I know I am using very broad terms but creating an advantage could be anything from using " lag compensation" (video link) in order to land more shots on enemies during the ambush before they can react. Or using lag compensation to evade potential damage sources by hiding your echo during combat. Learning to regain the initiative in combination with medkits can be pretty powerful. If you excel at doing this then ASC becomes very useful.

NAC and ASC can be a fun pairing for people who get really skilled at using cover and abusing lag compensation. Otherwise skip ASC (because you have to be stellar in order to see a major advantage) and stick with Nanoweave or Bando + the cloak of your choice.

I don't think infils should be honestly rushing 3 enemies at once if they can possibly avoid it. Take down a target and reset, reload, come back for the other two. Just to be clear I am not suggesting you rambo into buildings when I am talking about seizing the initiative.

Creating advantages like pre-fire on doorways to weaken or even kill a baited target can be helpful. EMP, or even a mine can give you that advantage on multiple enemies. Use mines if manipulation is more of your thing. Use medkits if your more aggressive. I prefer the EMP and Bando (over ASC or Nanoweave) for the simple reason that... to some degree... using Lag Compensation can be dependent on an enemies choices to follow you or be baited away from their cover and giving up their own initiative. This can backfire if your playing against a smart enemy. With the EMP on the other hand... if they are playing smart I can force them to behave as I wish, or push the advantage while their shields down. Not to mention ever since HA over-shields were affected by EMP's its become a more effective solution.

Self improvement is going to be a long journey that never really ends. You can improve your aim, your awareness. You can improve how you see the battle unfolding and knowing when to retreat. So many things... Just pick something you would like to work on and make a conscious effort to implement those changes.

Edit: A helpful lesson Axne taught me years ago with ASC was learning not to cloak , and more or less cloaking to clear spots. Stuff like that knowing when cloak is going to provide you a disadvantage when breaching ect. You can also try working on your dance moves, juking opponents or even my favorite! Mobility <3 :D
    • Up x 2
  8. Biddion

Consider maxing out grenade bandier and get your emp. Emp is great for taking down enemy motion sensors (and any explosives around it) or weakening an enemy before engagement.

Personally, I throw them down on enemies cause I find if I'm on ground level all turn towards me and gun me down before I am able to fire my gun. Another way is to throw them over obstacles (like a bolder) before you round the corner but you don't know exactly where they will be when you turn the corner.
    • Up x 1
  9. Eternaloptimist

I've tried dropping an AI mine behind me then killing one enemy and running away to lure his companion into running over it with some success. They get a target fixation and forget to check their surroundings I think. Also quite handy if an enemey or group of them is hunting you down. Even if you don't kill one the big boom when they detonate it gives you a clue.

Having said that, it is more for poops and giggles than for serious play.
  10. 0fly0

Depend what is your playstyle, if you're the kind of infiltrator who stay in the same area ( stalker cloack, capping point...) motion spotter is for you, i always move so i love the dart better since a can scan the area where i'm going to, so i know excatly what i'm going to face or even if i can go in this area without dying
  11. Navron

I have the capability to record quality video and edit it but I don't have the time or patience to do it. I wish I did so I can show you how it can be done. Timing is a huge consideration when it comes to properly cloaking, reloading and uncloaking while using an SMG, NAC, Bando and EMP Shield 4. But you can definitely clear out 4 or 5 people on a single point in a small room (maybe 3 or 4 for larger point rooms) if you just continue to try and learn from your mistakes.
    • Up x 1
  12. MutantDonut

Is that last 500 upgrade on the 'nade bandy worth it for a stalker? :)

I made a VS account today that i'm gonna make my main, to do my part in making Ceres (ps4) more even. :p

I'm currently deciding between the second prox mine (400) and the 'Nade bandy upgrade. (500)

(My main reason for playing stalker is because i have at the very least 370 ping, so facing people head on is tricky. :D)
  13. Amouris

I'd go with the second prox mine first, better cert gain than +1 emp if you know what you're doing. However unlocking both is obviously the best option.
  14. Keidranex

To improve as an infiltrator you'll want to learn when and how to use your cloak and recon tools effectively, the main way to improve on this is by experience, as with most things in the game.

Going head to head with an enemy is usually suicide unless you got the drop on them.
    Example: bait around corner, crouch and cloak and wait for them to turn the corner. Newbies will tend to sprint until they see you, allowing an easy kill to their back as they run past. An above average player will round the corner, cautiously aiming down sights, the slower speed will allow you to aim for the head, then de-cloak and end him without giving much reaction time.

Darklights can be a huge threat, if someone is actively hunting you with one, either relocate or confront them. Most players use darklights on their secondary, so assuming they aren't using a pocket SMG or if they aren't Django with a commissioner, you should be able to outgun them.

Mines and medkits are both great, so this is down to personal preference. Survivability, or having a passive killing tool at your disposal.

EMP grenades are great against clusters of people, annoying infiltrators, or that motion spotter you just can't get. Also, great for clearing personnel mines and other deployables.

Motion spotter and recon darts are both great, but this is down to personal preference. If you like playing "My house" with a generator room, you'll probably want the spotter.

I'm not by any means a great infiltrator, but I'd like to think what I just said is useful knowledge.
    This is coming from a CQC guy, so I almost religiously use SMGs.
    And also I'm a PS4 player if that makes a difference.
    • Up x 1
  15. K'Tnae

When sniping/assassinating/performing marksmanship, move to cover that allows you to see your target and blocks anywhere enemy snipers could shoot you from.

[IMG]
  16. Amouris

Is that pac man eating a pokeball?
  17. MisterSlim

When using a drawing to illustrate a point, ya gotta label it xD. I have no idea what those lines mean or why they're there, or what the different colors mean or why they're there. You're on the right track, I love when people put in the effort to use a diagram, but you can't have a diagram without labels.

Hope this remark helped just a bit.

-Stay Frosty
  18. PWGuy93

Depends on the current fight and need.

One of the most important things an infiltrator can do (from my perspective) is spot the enemy.
    The Motion Sensor you place shows enemy movement direction, your friendlies can see which direction the enemy is facing. This is very very helpful. Drop one at a crucial point, find a sundie or infantry terminal switch to darts and create wide area of darts to spot. These help find the snipers on the hill or the hidden sunderer. Q-key spot every enemy you can. Knowing where the enemy is, is a winning strategy and a huge part in team play.

Proximity mines and grenade belt with EMP grenades is great for any fight.
    EMP grenades explode enemy mines often killing the enemy with their own mines, will take out beacons used for instant teleportation by squads and will strip the first layer of shields from Maxes making them more vulnerable. I go through at least two full grenade belts during a good fight. When I play heavy I turn on my shield when running into a capture point, if there's a mine the heavy survives (think meat shield) on an infiltrator I first toss and EMP grenade into the capture point which explodes any mines.

Prox mines are helpful especially when solo or when leaving a recently captured base. Drop some near doorways upon leaving when you're faction has won to deter any infiltrators who stuck around to harass the winning faction. Just try not to use these around friendlies during an active fight as the enemy faction will also have infiltrators using EMP grenades which will end up killing your team mates.

As for sheilds vs mines, I suggest mines.
    They will kill enemies and you will get points. Shields in this game are more eye candy than anything else, a couple hits with anything other than a shield on a heavy assault class and your dead meat. So I would suggest mines to get points for now.

Lose the commissioner in my opinion. This thing hits hard but it makes so so much noise and makes you visible on enemy radar.
    The basic weapon for hunter cloak works fine for each faction and you can spend points to make them quiet and reduce your radar presence, also put a darklight flashlight on it to spot enemy infiltrators. You can use the X-key to toggle the dark light flashlight light on and off. The laser sight is a give away to your location, I personally advise against using one on an infiltrator. Just toggle into scoped view on your hand weapon for accuracy, shoot them, recloak, move location and stay alive.
  19. Leivve

I would suggest taking the silencer off the Blitz. Your cloak will automatically take you off the minimap, even if you were spotted, and in large battles you're just another drip in the waterfall. So no one will notice; and even in small fights this can be good as it lets you lure away enemies who are perceptive enough to notice you.

For me suppressors are situational attachments, not a requirement to function. I don't mind the lost in bullet velocity. but that reduced damage really sucks.

Also I would get the first level of your s-mines and toy with them. I like my clamors a lot, and have played with the betty on my NC alt, but it more depends on your style and how creative you can be with them.

For your question on motion spotter and the darts:

Motion spotter is all around the best IMO. As if you're sniping it let's you see if people are coming up behind you, and if you are using an SMG you can use it to see what's around you. Very helpful for getting behind enemies and ambushing them while you're defending a point or other area.
    However it has the side effect of being very easy to destroy (so you have to make sure you engage the enemy before they kill the spotter or you'll lose your advantage) and because you have to place it at your feet, of an enemy is close enough to detect it, they now know where you are at that moment. It also makes enemies weary that there are infiltrators or other enemies in the area, putting them on alert.

Darts are more temporary only lasting a fraction of the time, and they don't give you persistent information. Instead they create pulses. At higher rates these pulses fire off at a rapid rate, but they don't show you enemy facing direction or movement. Though you can figure out where they're going just by looking at how the dot is moving with each pulse.

Darts have the benefit of being able to be fired from a distance, making them helpful for aggressive play (still think spotter is better for a cqc). As firing a dart doesn't suddenly tell the enemy where you are, it just tells them they are being watched. I also believe they cover a much larger area then motion spotters do (not 100%, but I'm pretty sure.), and even if individual darts didn't cover a wider area, you aren't restricted to having only one out. If you find an ammo box you should just fire out darts till the tower you're attacking looks like it was ready for Xmas. Thus you can create HUGE sensor fields that can cover an entire base, rather then the fine detail on a single building a motion spotter gives you.

TL;DR motion spotter better for fighting enemies, darts better for finding enemies.
  20. Bragg

And for me this that sniper confirms he's presence on area. So i can sneak up to him and knife.

*Sensor implant allows faster approaching.
    *Moving crouched you don't get detect in any detection devices. So enemy can sneak up to you. Just place personal wp on detector to getting too close before crouching. And always assume that enemy has max range detectors.