Any other Engineers depressed by *Roadmap*?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by goliith, Jan 25, 2013.

1. goliith

Having read through the roadmap and all of the planned things for the next six months (Some amazing, some not so much) Are any other Engineers feeling left out in the rain? We were promised AA/AV Mana Turrets, as well as deployable cover (ala Covenant ground shields like in the Halo franchise's campaign) Months ago, back in Beta even, and yet still nearly 3 months into the game and not a peep, and as it looks, there is no longer any intention whatsoever to give Engineers any more tools at all.

I miss all the badass cool stuff Engineers could do in PS1. 95% of my time as Engineer I feel like a gimped LA with infinite ammo, who doubles as a MAX's BFF (Dont get me wrong, repairing/resupply is very crucial to team play) but Engineer is the least useful class in most situations. The only reason I'm still Engineer 90% of my time is because I use a shotgun with slugs and need to be able to replenish my own ammo regularly.

I just sincerely dislike the aspect of "AA? Grab your MAX." "AV? Grab your MAX/Heavy. Or try to be a ninja-miner"

BTW I'm Vanu. Comments, thoughts, ideas and flames are welcomed.
    • Up x 13
  2. Vikarius

you still have it better then infiltrators partner, trust me.
    • Up x 5
  3. Cirevam

I wouldn't say we're the least useful in most situations. When it comes to explosives we get a ton of options, and there's almost always something that needs to be repaired. However I must agree that I feel like Engineers don't have anything planned specifically for them. Heck, Light Assaults are getting worked on and I expected Infiltrators to be the first to see direct dev-love.

Another turret option would be fantastic. Even if it were only one other option, it would be something.
  4. Foxeye

The Biggest thing for me is the Mana turret and not having adequate protection. The whole point of a turret is that you are immobile but can take more damage, but that is bypassed because it carves a neat head-shot area for you. Just fire middle-top where the blue ends and instant headshot 80% of the time. Seriously, the only place it doesn't protect you is the face!?!?!? Why not just add more cover for the Mana turret so forward damage goes to the gun.

Also, increase the height of the barrel of the turret. Cannot deploy and shoot over rails and through windows.

Lastly, why not have certs for upgrading turret armor or soft point ammo or explosive shells or accuracy (I hate being 20 feet away from someone and while firing for over 3 seconds directly only getting 1-2 bullet hits. Should be able to take down a light assault in a second, but it takes like 5 more more and by that time they have flown above you to your back... *rant)
    • Up x 5
  5. SirLmot

You see that's my biggest gripe... being unable to shoot over rails and out of windows. There are so many good places ruined simply by it being slightly to high for the turret to shoot over. Otherwise it just needs some thought and love put into it for variety and expanded utility, where'd I'd support most of the ideas already mentioned!
    • Up x 5
  6. Gibber

Very disappointed that no mention of turret and/or deployables in general getting time allocated for balancing and further development.
  7. Fraya

Yeah the first time I deployed one in front of a railing and realized it couldn't shoot anything I cringed. For all the accuracy and damage penalties of using one at least make the operator protected until they deal with the turret first.
    • Up x 2
  8. Xebov

Im disapointed too. The roadmap is for 6 months and for me it looks like the first classes that get an revamp/additions are the ones that doing fine in the moment. MAXes get a revamp and a new weapon and lights are the first to get some developement.

For Engineers i miss some basic things. Medics can passive heal other ppl in the same Vehicle, but Engineers dont have the passive ability to refill ammo and repair MAXes inside the same vehicle. Also i miss some repair range so you can repair moving targets easier and dont need to stand in direct fire to repair turrets that after complete get taken over by heavies or other classes that just wait for you to repair them for them. The turret as our counterpart to the Skill of other classes is just crap, up and down angles are so low that you often cant shoot at things, you get sniped easily, if i see otehr engineers using the turret i simply use my underbarrel grenade launcher to kill them.

The 2 biggest reasons to play engineer at the moment is endless ammo and lot of explosives. I think most ppl only switch to engineer if it comes to amp station and tech plant repairs and vehicle piloting.
    • Up x 5
  9. Takoita

I'm depressed as a non-engineer too. It feels half-*****, to be honest.
    • Up x 1
  10. Goats

I'm a little disappointed, but the truth is, those classes do need improvement more than we do. The Light Assault is pretty much a one-trick pony, and MAXes are... lacking. We're definitely not perfect, but I'd say we're a hell of a lot further along.
    • Up x 3
  11. Azerin

I agree that LA and Infiltrator need to be touched up first, but the Engineer (my primary class btw) could use some attention too. I'm quite happy with my gun, repair tool and mines, but as we all know the turret's practically useless, It's better used as a decoy and shield than as a turret. At the least, it needs two things...

1) The ability to be placed at a height, or even "mounted" on cover such as rails and windows. This would drastically increase its usefulness and defensive abilities, allowing you to cover open ground from a building much like you would with a machinegun, rather than being forced to stick it at the front door or beside the building in the open.

2) Not instantly dying when hit by a rocket, since HA is the primary frontline class rockets are never in short supply. There could be several ways to implement and balance this, the one I thought of is below.

Have the shield/turret be able to block rocket damage, blowing the turret up but not killing the user even without flak armor. Add the ability to deconstruct your turret, but if it's destroyed or burning then have a cooldown period which prevents turret spamming. Of course, shooting the user is still an option, and if the rocket hits you in the face or to the side/rear of the turret it won't block any damage. It should also disorient the player when the turret is destroyed, reducing their combat effectiveness for a few seconds so they can't just immediately kill the person who blew up their turret.
    • Up x 5
  12. DirArtillerySupport

Battlefield killed the Engineer Star.
    • Up x 2
  13. KoooZ

It would go a looong way to improving the mana turret by one simple change. More range of motion, specifically downward.
    • Up x 1
  14. KoooZ

Baby Battlefield don't kill the radio engineer star.
  15. DirArtillerySupport

We're HERE! ain't got no GEAR! Can't get used to it!!
  16. Nogrim313

well they did say that new weapons etc. weren't being named on the road map, that gave me some hope. we don't really need new guns since most of our are cross overs from LA, or common pool anyway

but new weapons for us i think will be in the area of new deployables or ACE replacements, now im still not that excited as they need to fix the resource costs on all of our **** for me to ever want MORE stuff to drain the pool
  17. Kiddneey

I had no expectation for Engineers to get anything new and shiney.
    What do we have already?

1) Vehicles. Engineers use all the vehicles because of the repair tool.
    2) Shotgun or Carbine or Battle Rifle, so short/short-medium/medium-long options.
    3) Explosives aplenty. Prox mines, tank mines, C4.
    4) Vital teamplay tools. Repairgun and ammo boxes.

It's hardly like Engineer is one dimensional. Look to Infiltrator or MAX if you want to see one dimensional.
  18. Nate

Yep. Sadly true. Those other classes need effort spent on them first. And I'm an Eng 95% of the time.
    • Up x 1
  19. XRIST0

Your job is to supply ammo and repair , do it .. Or play something else

Im sick of engineers running right past me when i shout for a repair or ammo .
    • Up x 1
  20. Xebov

I dont fully agree with you.

1) doesnt count as a pro for Engineers because most of the people only use the Engineer to selfrepair there vehicle. But they dont play the Engineer as Infantry class what is needed to support ground troops.
    2) the Battlerifle, at least for Vanu, is reportet to be not that good, i asked some players IG who have it
    3) + 4) agree

Now what do i expect for the Engineer?

I Expect that...
    ... the Ammo Box certs count for the ACE Ammo Pack
    ... that the Turret gets more angle so it can be used in Areas with a lot of Hills to shot up/down
    ... that the Turret can be placed in more locations, actually its limited to an even Ground, 90% of the time that i think it would be a good idea to spawn it i cant find a place to build it
    ... that we get a passive Ammo and Repair in Vehicles to resupply troops driving with us and repair MAXes (like Medics have with there Heal)
    ... that we get a general shout for "Here you can get Ammo/Repairs" to tell ppl around that we are there
    ... Tools to better support our troops, like tank barricades or cover
    ... a bit more Range for the repair tool that we can stay betetr in cover

I can tell you my side of this.

Engineers are not only for repairs and Ammo, they are also responseable for destroying stuff, like turrets and Vehicles and move behind Enemy lines to do so.

I have the other side of the problem, people crying for repairs and Ammo and run away befor i can react and i dont get covered by other players. I have MAXes that seek Cover behind me while i repair them instead of covering me and killing Enemys that attack me.
    • Up x 8