Anti-Vehicle MANA-Turret

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by DankFist, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Stromberg

doesn't matter, where you hit, only where you're shooting from. if you stand in front of the tank and magically make the rocket go 180° around it and hit it "in the back", it's still a front hit.
    • Up x 1
  2. GeneStarwind

I agree that it is extremely hard to hit aircraft with, but I have hit a Reaver that stopped to shoot rockets at a base we were defending and I one-shotted it. I've done pot shots at galaxies and libs, too. They always move when they get hit so I haven't been able to figure out how many hits they take, but I get the ground to air xp when I hit them. I don't remember exactly how much damage needs to be inflicted to get this xp offhand, I think it was somewhere around 20-25%. You can use this and guess that it would take 3-5 shots to bring down one of those.
  3. o.Solei.o

It is literally the middle-ground between unlocking a new infantry gun and unlocking a new vehicle weapon. All of the items in both of those categories are cert/SC unlock only.

Hitting moving targets (especially air craft) I have found is about ignoring the targeting reticule and just watching the missile and using the mouse to suggest how it should fly. ;)
  4. Rhumald

it's certainly not 3 shots, unless the other factions have more powerful launchers, in my experience it takes 5 to an unarmored, stupidly stubborn lib pilot, and significantly more with each level of armor they invest into. As for EXP from damage, it's all about the numbers, not %, and it's calculated as an overall number, so if your ignored, or they just don't clue in for long enough, one of your shots from this will net you double exp, as that number finally adds up and rolls over. one shotting an ESF in my experience is not possible, though it does a significant amount of damage, so I can see it happening if the ESF was already damaged and decided to stick around shooting at things instead of the smart, pull back and repair first thing... which allot of reaver pilots seem to think is the only way they can play U.U

it really shines in the canyons of Indar, where you can get up on the cliffs, and pound passing armor columns with it, without getting immediately found out.
  5. Ynyr

Bought it last night. I feel its nicely balanced. You become sniper bait quickly but it allows infranty to better counter mostly static columns of armour.

Side effect of this change I believe will see more infiltrators. Around the Crown/TI the turret is nice for supressing the Crown's towers and making the surrounding armor a little let comfortable farming certs with HE rounds.

That said... even in an almost perfect scenario at TI/Crown my certs per hour dropped substainially using this turret vs AI turret. Even targetting a crown turret that was constanting getting rebuilt the certs per hour was lower than my normal ammo pack, grenade launcher, AI turret style.
  6. Tanelorn

Seeing it in action, this turret is becoming a huge issue for long-range engagements. The annihilator is also a big problem. Both of these weapons can fly over extreme distances and be on target without having to consider firing arc. It introduces a new dynamic and greatly increases the importance of terrain masking. The thing is, even if you are using terrain masking, there's always some ridge in the distance where an enemy can set up and fire on you.

These turrets can be set up at such a distance and bring effective fire on the enemy, that the enemy simply cannot counter them. I think we are going to see more and more complaints about this in the next couple weeks. I am starting to think that the turret needs a nerf, not necessarily in damage, but perhaps in fuel?
  7. RealityWarrior

They are not really that accurate at range. I was "sniped" 4 times by a Prowler 120-heat gun (secondary?) at roughly 500 meters. I could not hit him but he kept picking me off cleanly. I had a friendly medic that loved the extra exp tho so didnt hurt me any. :) We had a mess of people (max/hvy/tank/engi) on a hill and he was picking us off left and right from the flank of our attack while moving back and forth. Numbers finally over whelmed him.
  8. Heen

Here is a tip for long range shots... initially aim above the target to fire, then track the reticule onto your target while the missile is flying. That way your target isn't obscured by the rocket trail and you can easily see your target move. Also, it looks cool.
  9. Engine91

I found you can also fire over the railing with teh AV missile launcher. set it back a little bit from teh railing (about a foot from the barrel to the railing, give or take) then aim at the target you want to hit then before you fire aim up over the railing.
    Fire then jerk the reticle to teh target.

The missile should come out the tube and over the railing and due to the fact the missile can't turn around it will fly to where ever you point (even if its at the railing). It helped me defend one of the outpost south of Mekala tech plant (i think its a comms thing, but can't remember its name right now)
  10. GeneStarwind

Speaking of getting up on cliffs, we were doing that last night. We called it "Island Hopping" and our merry band of engineers were annihilating the tank zergs.
  11. mindbomb

the single most annoying thing about these is placement.
    It is basically trial and error to figure out what type of terrain you can place the turret on.
  12. Rhumald

unlike the annihilator, if you're getting hit by this, and you take a moment to try and look at where it is coming from, you will see the turret... though by that time you may need to bail, you can save the rest of your column by hunting it down... I don't know how many times I've had someone respawn as a LA, track me down, and take me out, or gotten sniped by a sniper from further away that I can see the sniper, or had someone jump into an ESF, watch the battlefield from afar to see where the rockets are coming from, and just obliterate my position... or gotten taken out by, you guessed it, an annihilator... all of which were after I'd spent the last 10 minutes quietly sneaking around the armor column to that vantage point.
  13. GeneStarwind

yeah, that was pretty much the only thing that was stopping us last night. Some Mossy would come up and blow the crap out of our hilltop with rockets or a sniper would figure out where we were and rake in the kills. So yeah, they really aren't that OP. You just have to figure out how to deal with them, which most people haven't yet it seems. And as other people have pointed out, we are sitting ducks while we're guiding our rockets.
  14. Rhumald

I like to do a single loop to either side after I fire the rocket, it acomplishes the same thing without making a huge "here I am aircraft" beacon; if they're far enough away I like to first send the rocket off in a different direction before sending it to my target, like past a rock outcropping to the side, around a tree, or over the heads of a group of enemies (being NC I find myself behind TR lines shooting at VS allot, on Indar, as they try to assault TI alloys... they're great little distractions). It's easy to mislead with the smoke trail like that, but then you've gotta stop firing until they decide there's no one there, or if you know that 1 more shot will finish them, and they probably maybe won't spot you.

I agree, but at the same time, I've managed to place the turret on terrain where I thought I couldn't, by being stubborn and finding that 1 pixel worth of a spot that is just the right angle, shape and direction to place it on... I've also used it to help me climb up places, as you don't need to be on the same level to enter it.
  15. Cyridius

This is one of my worst purchases ever.

The thing needs some serious survivability buffs.
  16. Benjamin2501

I wish they would provide a cert add-on to block Sniper shots for these weapons. It makes you too vulnerable in the open, and I think it would make the ACE Tools more helpful.
  17. GeneStarwind

The whole point of guided rockets is so that you can place it in a less obvious area and guide the rockets from out of it. If a sniper knows your position, MOVE! If they made it so it blocked sniper shots, then it really would be OP.
  18. Sian

I just popped 5 vanguards coming from the Crown from atop crossroads watchtower. by the time the missile hit, the cooldown for the next was up. It was far enough that the smoke stopped rendering and dissipated enough that I had a clear view of the target for about a second before the missile hit. I'm pretty sure there was literally nothing they could have done to stop me. I feel a little dirty. (just a little) I never did this well with the HA launcher.

Without being totally sniper-vulnerable, this launcher would be sharply OP.
  19. Tanelorn

In my attempts to snipe the AV turret last night I couldn't stop a single one. All I see in my x-hairs is a giant hunk of metal obscuring the gunner. It was never possible for me to hit anything but the turret itself.
  20. Justicia

[IMG]
    • Up x 1